The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   .3 Foul Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60331-3-foul-question.html)

Spence Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:42pm

.3 Foul Question

.3 seconds left. A1 catches the lob throw-in and is immediately fouled.

Do I ignore the foul unless I determine it to be flagrant or intentional? Is the ball dead as soon as it's deemed that A1 caught the ball instead of tapping it?

rsl Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:55pm

No rule makes the ball dead here. Call the foul as you would any other time until the horn blows to make the ball dead.

Adam Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:57pm

If the foul happens after he releases a shot (assuming he caught it first), it's a dead ball contact situation (ignore or go with a T or flagrant).
The rule says they can't catch or shoot, it doesn't say they can't catch and be fouled trying to shoot.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:46pm

Exactly. A1, seeing and anticipating the imminent contact, may have grabbed the ball instead of tapping it as a result. B shouldn't be able to foul to prevent A1 from tapping the ball.

The ball doesn't become dead until 0.3 seconds after A1 touches/grabs the ball.

BillyMac Mon Jan 03, 2011 07:26am

Here's The Catch ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 711591)
.3 seconds left. A1 catches the lob throw-in and is immediately fouled.

If Team A is in the bonus, A1 shoots a one and one. If Team A is in the double bonus, A1 shoots two free throws.

Adam Mon Jan 03, 2011 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 711629)
If Team A is in the bonus, A1 shoots a one and one. If Team A is in the double bonus, A1 shoots two free throws.

Disagree. Nothing says A1 can't start the shooting motion in that amount of time.

Indianaref Mon Jan 03, 2011 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 711629)

5.2.5 SITUATION C: With three-tenths of a second or less left in a tied game, each team is in the bonus. Team A has a throw-in on the end line near their basket. A1 throws the ball to A5 on the near block who catches the ball and quickly shoots. A5 is fouled by B3 just prior to the period ending horn. The ball goes through A's basket. RULING: Since A5 may not control the ball and attempt a try with three-tenths of a second or less, A5 cannot score a goal and is not considered in the act of shooting. However, B3's foul cannot be ignored and is considered a common foul. A5 is awarded a one-and-one bonus free-throw situation with the lane cleared. A5's free throw attempts will determine if the game is over or if an overtime period is necessary. (4-41-6)

Indianaref Mon Jan 03, 2011 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 711631)
Disagree. Nothing says A1 can't start the shooting motion in that amount of time.

Not the way I am reading 5.2.5 C

bob jenkins Mon Jan 03, 2011 08:47am

NCAA is different. Ignore the contact unless I or F.

AR 132

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 03, 2011 09:11am

Quote:

If he catches it, he cannot shoot it and have the goal count. So, if he is fouled, he cannot be considered to be fouled in the act of shooting. And the OP said 'catch'.

asdf Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:02am

Quote:

I don't know how much clearer you can get than 5-2-5...

When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and threetenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score.

Indianaref Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 711645)

When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and threetenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score.

Piling on?

BillyMac Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:14am

Twist And Shout ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 711633)
5.2.5 SITUATION C: With three-tenths of a second or less left in a tied game, each team is in the bonus. Team A has a throw-in on the end line near their basket. A1 throws the ball to A5 on the near block who catches the ball and quickly shoots. A5 is fouled by B3 just prior to the period ending horn. The ball goes through A's basket. RULING: Since A5 may not control the ball and attempt a try with three-tenths of a second or less, A5 cannot score a goal and is not considered in the act of shooting. However, B3's foul cannot be ignored and is considered a common foul. A5 is awarded a one-and-one bonus free-throw situation with the lane cleared. A5's free throw attempts will determine if the game is over or if an overtime period is necessary. (4-41-6)

New twist. What if we add this to 5.2.5 SITUATION C: The ball doesn't go through A's basket, but instead B4 commits basket interference?

Adam Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 711645)

If it hadn't been for the case play, which states "A5 cannot score a goal and is not considered in the act of shooting," I would maintain my opinion. Nothing in the rule itself says he can't be in the act of shooting, only that he can't score. "May not ...try for a goal" is up to interpretation. However, the case play makes it pretty clear.

So, apparently, it can get a lot clearer than 5-2-5. In fact, it does in 5.2.5C.

Edit: This is a long winded way of saying, "I was wrong."

Adam Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 711660)
New twist. What if we add this to 5.2.5 SITUATION C: The ball doesn't go through A's basket, but instead B4 commits basket interference?

The ball would be dead prior to the BI, so it wouldn't affect anything.