The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Now what do we do?

This situation occured during a GV Christmas tournament tonight.

To start the second half, the referee of the two person crew blew his whistle, handed the ball to A1 at the division line. The ball was inbounded to A2 who dribbled toward her own goal, attemped a shot, and was fouled in the process. The calling official then looked up at the clock and notices it is still counting down from 10 seconds remaining in the halftime break.

I will stop the action following this opps moment to comment; Yes, the officials were wrong to put the ball in play without checking that the clock had been reset and showed 8:00. Yes, the table should have recognized the error and blown the horn before the ball had been inbounded, but none of this happened.

What should happened next has been the subject of a debate in the officials locker room. One side says this is a do-over, and the second half should be re-started since the halftime period had not ended. The other side says both teams, the coaches, and the officials were ready to go and nobody was put at disadvantage by the starting of the second half even though the clock was not properly reset. The offended player should be awarded her free throws, and some amount of time should be removed from the clock beyond the 8:00 mark.

I agree with the second senerio, but haven't put in the effort to justify it with a rules backup except I've always been told "there are no do-overs in basketball"

So esteemed members of the forum - What is your take on this?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

To my knowledge, it's not covered by the rules. What does that tell you?

I would count all the action and take time off the clock if I had definite knoeledge.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

I would count all the action and take time off the clock if I had definite knowledge.
agree
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:19am
We don't rent pigs

Years ago, we had this happen to start the second half of a local jr. high boys game. Visitors had the ball. Home stole the throw-in pass, and the buzzer sounded. Play stopped. We whistled the play dead, took one second off the clock, and gave home the ball. Inexcusable, yes, but really of no great consequence, this time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Just like any other clock error, you fix the clock, if you have definite knowledge, and continue where you stopped the game to deal with the clock. No do over.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktballref View Post
to my knowledge, it's not covered by the rules. What does that tell you?

i would count all the action and take time off the clock if i had definite knoeledge.
+1
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 08:51am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Administering official for the throw-in should make visual contact with partner[s] AND timer prior to putting the ball in play. Doesn't always happen, but it can help avoid situations like in the OP.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

I would count all the action and take time off the clock if I had definite knoeledge.
I'd use case 5.7.3 (last year's reference) to set the clock at 8:00, and continue play from the FTs.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 11:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd use case 5.7.3 (last year's reference) to set the clock at 8:00, and continue play from the FTs.
5.7.3 SITUATION: Following a violation in the first extra period, the timer beckons
the referee to the table. The timer informs the referee that by mistake the period
started with: (a) more; or (b) less than four minutes on the clock. RULING: In
(a), if the mistake is discovered before the clock reaches four minutes, the clock
shall be set at four minutes and play resumes. If discovered after reaching four
minutes, no correction is allowed. In (b), the appropriate amount of time shall be
added to reflect a four-minute period. (2-5-5)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:19pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
This situation occured during a GV Christmas tournament tonight.

To start the second half, the referee of the two person crew blew his whistle, handed the ball to A1 at the division line. The ball was inbounded to A2 who dribbled toward her own goal, attemped a shot, and was fouled in the process. The calling official then looked up at the clock and notices it is still counting down from 10 seconds remaining in the halftime break.
When I first read this, I took it to mean that she went the wrong way. Then I read the definition of a shot, and it says an attempt at a team's own goal.

Let's say, hypothetically, that A1 took the ball and ran the wrong way in this situation. B1, also confused, follows A1 to the basket and fouls her, thinking she's supposed to be defending that particular basket.

Would I be correct in ruling that since A1 shot at the wrong basket, it's not a try, therefore the foul would result in a designated spot throw in for A (assuming A1 misses the shot)?

The aforementioned timing issues don't apply to my hypothetical.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Fouls, Free Throws ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Would I be correct in ruling that since A1 shot at the wrong basket, it's not a try, therefore the foul would result in a designated spot throw in for A (assuming A1 misses the shot)?
Later in the half, it could be a one and one, or a double bonus.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
When I first read this, I took it to mean that she went the wrong way. Then I read the definition of a shot, and it says an attempt at a team's own goal.

Let's say, hypothetically, that A1 took the ball and ran the wrong way in this situation. B1, also confused, follows A1 to the basket and fouls her, thinking she's supposed to be defending that particular basket.

Yes - it doesn't matter what the ball does. Since it's not a try the ball is dead. Unless Team A is in the bonus they don't shoot free throws.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:26pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Later in the half, it could be a one and one, or a double bonus.
Good point.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Dead ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
It doesn't matter what the ball does. Since it's not a try the ball is dead.
Ball in flight?

Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:27pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:

Yes and even if A1 "made" the "shot", if the foul occurred before the ball passed thru the goal, the foul rendered the ball dead. Can't score with a dead ball and continuous motion does not apply since we have no try.
Thanks for the reminder..