The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   If I could change one rule, it would be.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60229-if-i-could-change-one-rule-would.html)

mj Wed Dec 22, 2010 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 709265)
Change the rule on remaining OOB after the throwin is released to be a violation instead of a T...and just give it a time limit of 3 seconds after the release that they have to be inbounds. It doesn't matter if they run across the court in that time, just as long as they get in.

I like this one Camron.

BBrules Wed Dec 22, 2010 02:32pm

Simplify the backcourt violation rules

Cobra Wed Dec 22, 2010 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 709254)
Coaches calling timeouts while play is live on the court.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra (Post 709262)
I would say no timeouts even if the ball is dead if the clock is running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks (Post 709291)
Huh?

What? He says no coach timeouts while the ball is live. I say it should also include when the ball is dead if the clock is running. What do you not understand?

TimTaylor Wed Dec 22, 2010 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by back in the saddle (Post 709385)
not grant a hc's time out request unless the ball is dead and the clock is stopped. I'd settle for unless the ball is dead, but would prefer both dead ball and stopped clock.

+10

Adam Wed Dec 22, 2010 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrules (Post 709411)
Simplify the backcourt violation rules

How?

Adam Wed Dec 22, 2010 03:06pm

Get rid of that stupid BC interp. I'd be satisfied with that.

IowaMike Wed Dec 22, 2010 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks (Post 709293)
1) Drop 30s and fulls and go with five 45s

2) Go to two 16-min halves

I like both of those.

Larks Wed Dec 22, 2010 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra (Post 709416)
What? He says no coach timeouts while the ball is live. I say it should also include when the ball is dead if the clock is running. What do you not understand?

Other than on a made basket for the purposes of the correctable errors, when is that? You will never get coaches to agree with that one because they need those TOs to extend the game.

BBrules Wed Dec 22, 2010 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 709423)
Get rid of that stupid BC interp. I'd be satisfied with that.

Me, too. Perhaps a change in the team control aspect.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 22, 2010 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 709254)
Coaches calling timeouts while play is live on the court.

I don't get it. You mean you want coaches to be able to call timeouts now?

chseagle Wed Dec 22, 2010 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 709285)
Whoa, you may want to re-think that one, chseagle. The idea of a warm-up is to warm up. It's not only to get into game mode but it's a safety factor. That's why officials warm-up before a game also.

Ok how about instead of 20 minute warm-ups, make the warm-up period 10 minutes (9 minutes to warm-up with the 1 minute to huddle)? With during halftime, the teams getting 5 minutes to talk (in locker room) & 4 minutes to warm-up (With the 1 minute still to huddle).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 709288)
Wait, the officials are supposed to warm up? ... oh, you mean the floor officials! Well, that makes more sense...

Anytime exercise is involved a person is supposed to do warm-ups to help the body prepare. I actually do some finger stretching & other arm movements beforehand.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 22, 2010 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 709455)
I actually do some finger stretching & other arm movements beforehand.

You mean before dates?

Adam Wed Dec 22, 2010 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 709455)
Ok how about instead of 20 minute warm-ups, make the warm-up period 10 minutes (9 minutes to warm-up with the 1 minute to huddle)? With during halftime, the teams getting 5 minutes to talk (in locker room) & 4 minutes to warm-up (With the 1 minute still to huddle).

Well, half-time is already 10 minutes; the coach just gets to make the decision on how to break it down.

As for pre-game warm-ups, there's no rule I'm aware of that even deals with its timing. Why do you feel the need to regulate those things? Or are you making jokes again?

chseagle Wed Dec 22, 2010 04:38pm

I thought married people never had dates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 709456)
You mean before dates?

Cobra Wed Dec 22, 2010 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks (Post 709441)
Other than on a made basket for the purposes of the correctable errors, when is that? You will never get coaches to agree with that one because they need those TOs to extend the game.

Why are you talking about correctable errors? What does that have to do with coaches requesting timeouts?