The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame Search

I am new to this whole searching the forum. I am looking for past threads on not only partner pregame, but captains meeting and coaches. Anybody help me out on this?

Thanks!
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 04:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Captain's meeting; pregame conference

Start with the bottom of this page.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to using "Search" in the menu bar, you can also Google "site:forum.officiating.com pregame".
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
In addition to using "Search" in the menu bar, you can also Google "site:forum.officiating.com pregame".
Thanks to the both of you!
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have a good pregame checklist in PDF Format? I'd love to have that for my iPad. I'm trying to get as much stuff electronicized as possible. Already have the court diagram and all rule books on there.

And if there's any app developers out there, an app with some little markers for R, U1 and U2 would be nice too. I'm sure plenty of officials would pay a few bucks for something like that.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 07:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Partner pregame. Anybody help me out on this?
PREGAME CONFERENCE

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Frontcourt endline and nearer sideline. Post play. Illegal screens at elbows.

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Nearer sideline, division line, backcourt endline. Rebound coverage. Drives starting in primary.
Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending. Bring subs in

Stay in your primary. It must be obvious to come out of your primary. If something is there that really needs to
be called, call it. Seldom should we have four eyes on the ball.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds, or where the foul is.

Be consistent with each other. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game. Let’s try to remember
what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus, or double bonus.
If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to identify the shooter.
Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

On throwins, count five players each team, check the table, check the clock, good eye contact before putting
ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.
If either of us warns a coach, or the bench, let’s let each other know about it. If one of us calls a technical foul
on a coach, the noncalling official will remind the coach that he must sit down.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling timeouts and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes if that would be inconsistent with
the way we’ve been calling the game. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t
already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. If the game dictates it, let the
players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be the ones who decide the game by ignoring
obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the
free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn't get hit harder
to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if
the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player, we should consider an
intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

On court at 15:00. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped,
Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges,
of the coaching box.

NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES:
Changed the guidelines and procedures for identifying and removing a player who exhibits signs, symptoms and/or
behaviors consistent with a concussion
The list of permissible headband and wristband colors was changed to include any single solid school color.
Specific rules were added to address the unsporting acts of a player leaving the playing court for an unauthorized reason
to demonstrate resentment, disgust or intimidation and team members leaving the bench area and/or playing court for an
unauthorized reason.
Clarified that when a substitute is not properly reported, the players in the game at the conclusion of the quarter/when the
time-out was granted shall begin play for the new quarter/after the time-out. During an intermission, all team members
are bench personnel for the purpose of penalizing unsporting behavior
Clarified that a school or conference logo/mascot may be located at the apex/opening of the neckline, in the corresponding
area on the back of the jersey and/or in the either side insert.
Clarified the requirements for guards, casts and braces and that a protective face mask shall be worn molded to the face.
Clarified that the ball becomes live on a throw-in and a free throw when it is at the disposal of the player and the official begins the count.
Clarified that when the ball is awarded to the wrong team, the mistake must be rectified before the throw-in ends.

NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS:
1. Rules Enforcement
2. Sportsmanship
3. Perimeter Play
4. Closely-guarded Situations
5. Principle of Verticality

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary or Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic
director and CIAC.

IAABO MECHANICS:
Switch on all fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 07:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

These May Be Dated ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Captains meeting and coaches. Anybody help me out on this?
PREGAME SPORTSMANSHIP STATEMENTS

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing players, team, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the umpire that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches
of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Anyone have a good pregame checklist in PDF Format? I'd love to have that for my iPad. I'm trying to get as much stuff electronicized as possible. Already have the court diagram and all rule books on there.

And if there's any app developers out there, an app with some little markers for R, U1 and U2 would be nice too. I'm sure plenty of officials would pay a few bucks for something like that.
Iphone/Ipad has an app for coaches which is a digital version of the clipboards they carry around still. Saw a AC with one last night at my game last night. You can probably work with it enough to do position for officials too. Think its called Basketball Coach's Clipboard or something similar.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Iphone/Ipad has an app for coaches which is a digital version of the clipboards they carry around still. Saw a AC with one last night at my game last night. You can probably work with it enough to do position for officials too. Think its called Basketball Coach's Clipboard or something similar.
I won't be surprised to find this banned from the sidelines in the near future.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I won't be surprised to find this banned from the sidelines in the near future.
Aren't they already banned under NFHS R10-1-3 as an electronic transmission device?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Aren't they already banned under NFHS R10-1-3 as an electronic transmission device?
The loophole is that they can turn off transmission capabilities (airplane mode) and essentially have a portable computer on the sideline for coaching purposes.
Never mind.

Yes they are: as computers other than for statistics.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The loophole is that they can turn off transmission capabilities (airplane mode) and essentially have a portable computer on the sideline for coaching purposes.
Never mind.

Yes they are: as computers other than for statistics.
Nobody upstairs is texting me anything. We'd never do sumthin' like that. Honest!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 06:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Nobody upstairs is texting me anything. We'd never do sumthin' like that. Honest!
"Yeah you can see it...hold on let me flick this switch first....see? Airplane mode."
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Billy, you are the BEST!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
PREGAME CONFERENCE

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Frontcourt endline and nearer sideline. Post play. Illegal screens at elbows.

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Nearer sideline, division line, backcourt endline. Rebound coverage. Drives starting in primary.
Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending. Bring subs in

Stay in your primary. It must be obvious to come out of your primary. If something is there that really needs to
be called, call it. Seldom should we have four eyes on the ball.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds, or where the foul is.

Be consistent with each other. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game. Let’s try to remember
what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus, or double bonus.
If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to identify the shooter.
Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

On throwins, count five players each team, check the table, check the clock, good eye contact before putting
ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.
If either of us warns a coach, or the bench, let’s let each other know about it. If one of us calls a technical foul
on a coach, the noncalling official will remind the coach that he must sit down.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling timeouts and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes if that would be inconsistent with
the way we’ve been calling the game. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t
already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. If the game dictates it, let the
players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be the ones who decide the game by ignoring
obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the
free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn't get hit harder
to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if
the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player, we should consider an
intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

On court at 15:00. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped,
Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges,
of the coaching box.

NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES:
Changed the guidelines and procedures for identifying and removing a player who exhibits signs, symptoms and/or
behaviors consistent with a concussion
The list of permissible headband and wristband colors was changed to include any single solid school color.
Specific rules were added to address the unsporting acts of a player leaving the playing court for an unauthorized reason
to demonstrate resentment, disgust or intimidation and team members leaving the bench area and/or playing court for an
unauthorized reason.
Clarified that when a substitute is not properly reported, the players in the game at the conclusion of the quarter/when the
time-out was granted shall begin play for the new quarter/after the time-out. During an intermission, all team members
are bench personnel for the purpose of penalizing unsporting behavior
Clarified that a school or conference logo/mascot may be located at the apex/opening of the neckline, in the corresponding
area on the back of the jersey and/or in the either side insert.
Clarified the requirements for guards, casts and braces and that a protective face mask shall be worn molded to the face.
Clarified that the ball becomes live on a throw-in and a free throw when it is at the disposal of the player and the official begins the count.
Clarified that when the ball is awarded to the wrong team, the mistake must be rectified before the throw-in ends.

NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS:
1. Rules Enforcement
2. Sportsmanship
3. Perimeter Play
4. Closely-guarded Situations
5. Principle of Verticality

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary or Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic
director and CIAC.

IAABO MECHANICS:
Switch on all fouls.

Hey, you forgot the C's PCA!