The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Forgot one...

Saw a 6th-grade boys' travel team employ the Hack-A-Shaq defense. Big guy for the visitors was scoring every time he caught the ball on the low block, but had missed a couple FTs earlier. With two minutes left in a tie game, the home team started fouling him every time he touched the ball. He went 0-for-6 but home kept missing. Then with 20 seconds left they fouled a different guy (I think one of the kids misunderstood the strategy) and that guy made both, and the visitors hung on for a 28-26 win!
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 07:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I'm only about 20 games into my season and I've had quite a few oddball things in my games already:[*]an opinionated 6th grade girls' travel league coach scream at me to bring in her sub after a made basket, and when I let play continue she convinced the kid running the clock to hit the horn

PennCoach:

How did you handle this situation? I am thinking at least a TF on the HC, I hope.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I had an IH last night as the VC yells "sub" as official was handing ball to player to inbound after a timeout, during boys' C (Yes I chastized myself for the IH & tried letting the officials know it was an IH, however they let the sub in)

During Boys' V, one of the Boys' coaches' sons was dribbling a ball on the sideline & it got away from him & rolled onto the court during a fastbreak. I yelled to lead about the ball (I was crowd control at the time) & play was stopped before the ball got halfway across the court.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 07:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I had an IH last night as the VC yells "sub" as official was handing ball to player to inbound after a timeout, during boys' C (Yes I chastized myself for the IH & tried letting the officials know it was an IH, however they let the sub in)
If they stopped the game on your horn, then they didn't have any choice but to let the sub come in. Because it's a dead ball it now become a legal substitution opportunity.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If they stopped the game on your horn, then they didn't have any choice but to let the sub come in. Because it's a dead ball it now become a legal substitution opportunity.
Unless the sub was still on his way to the table.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I realized after sounding the horn, that it should not of sounded.

I'm just mad at myself for sounding the horn, & also mad at the coach for yelling "sub", as the ball was being put into play.

Yes they followed dead ball procedure as soon as the IH happened.

I did explain to the officials that due to the VC yelling "sub" as the ball was being put into to play was the reason behind the IH. They did remind the coach when subs are allowed in. All I got from them was a thank you for the explanation of why the IH happened.

The official was in the motion of handing the ball to the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

The sub wasn't at the table, he was still on the team bench & the coach, suddenly, decided that the player needed to get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Unless the sub was still on his way to the table.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The sub wasn't at the table, he was still on the team bench & the coach, suddenly, decided that the player needed to get in.
JR's point, though, was if the sub is at the table after the official stops the hand-off to the thrower, he needs to let the sub in.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JR's point, though, was if the sub is at the table after the official stops the hand-off to the thrower, he needs to let the sub in.
Not in this case. If the sub had not reported before the warning horn, he may not enter the game until the clock has run.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

I looked over at the bench after buzzing & saw the player running off the bench to the table.

As I said in an earlier post, the VC suddenly decided that with the dead ball that he needed that player in right then.

The horn should have never sounded, hence why I'm mad at myself for allowing this all to happen as the player wasn't even at the table when the horn sounded.

Quote:
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Not in this case. If the sub had not reported before the warning horn, he may not enter the game until the clock has run.
good catch.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:33pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
I had an IH last night as the VC yells "sub" as official was handing ball to player to inbound after a timeout.
Give yourself 2 long jolts with the taser and no XBOX for two weeks. Next time will be worse!
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm already mad at myself & kicking myself for it.

No tasering considering don't want pacemaker damaged.

In what way could it be worse?

At least I'm realizing the mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Give yourself 2 long jolts with the taser and no XBOX for two weeks. Next time will be worse!
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Through Week 3

Ok-I've just finished week 3:

*Technical Fouls awarded in games I've worked:3 (Two on Saturday in a Varsity Girls Tournament)

*Freshman Girls Tournament (Our school puts its JV team in this tourney)-Second game of the morning was a tightly contested one in a gym with multiple courts.As you all can imagine multiple horns and whistles from other courts with the sounds of parents cheering probably make it very hard for coaches to get their timeouts acknowledged.Host school's provided table crew was a bunch of high school kids-the clock operator kept hitting the horn during a live ball to get the timeouts granted. He eventually stopped after our coaches said something to the officials about it.Never seen it before-odds can't be very high I'll see it again.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sun Dec 19, 2010 at 03:47am.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

You mean that's one of the few times where multiple courts are playing at one time side-by-side for you?

It's SOP up here for State to have a venue with 2 courts running simultaneously.

That's how I learned to do Varsity Timer/Scoreboard at Regionals was in a venue running 2 courts side-by-side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Ok-I've just finished week 3:

*Freshman Girls Tournament (Our school puts its JV team in this tourney)-Second game of the morning was a tightly contested one in a gym with multiple courts.As you all can imagine multiple horns and whistles from other courts with the sounds of parents cheering probably make it very hard for coaches to get their timeouts acknowledged.Host school's provided table crew was a bunch of high school kids-the clock operator kept hitting the horn during a live ball to get the timeouts granted. He eventually stopped after our coaches said something to the officials about it.Never seen it before-odds can't be very high I'll see it again.