The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Well, I haven't seen that before... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60170-well-i-havent-seen-before.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Fri Dec 17, 2010 09:34am

Well, I haven't seen that before...

I'm only about 20 games into my season and I've had quite a few oddball things in my games already:
  • airhorn from the crowd during FTA late in a close JV-B game
  • I toss, jumper catches the ball and my partner freezes
  • little girl running onto the court at the opposite end just as we have a steal and a fastbreak
  • I'm lead, ball near sideline on my line near midcourt, and my partner calls OOB, incorrectly!
  • name missing from a scorebook, caught by counting the players in warmups and asking the coach to figure out the missing name and add it
  • an opinionated 6th grade girls' travel league coach scream at me to bring in her sub after a made basket, and when I let play continue she convinced the kid running the clock to hit the horn
  • a CYO coach either eject himself or get fired mid-game

As for the airhorn, the FT went in which was good because I wasn't sure at the moment what I would do if the horn caused him to miss. Biggest JV-B game of the year I had so far at the biggest school in my area, and since it was close and long the gym was nearly packed. It was the first of two, with the home down by one point and about 30 seconds left, just as the shooter released it. After the make, I stopped my partner and went to the game manager, who pointed at a security guard already headed up into the stands to get the kid, so we played on. Of course, with no horn on the second shot, the guy missed and we ended up in OT. And the varsity officials always love it when the JV game goes OT!

I was new lead on the play with the little girl on the court, 6th grade boys' CYO. I was sprinting back with my head turned at the guy who stole the ball and I didn't see her. Luckily my partner did and got a quick loud toot out to stop the ten-boy stampede headed at the three-year-old!

The missing name isn't that odd I suppose, but I've never had it before. It was the first time that counting the players actually mattered. I also like to go to the table at -11:30 so I feel like I'm following the letter of the rule in these situations, getting it resolved before the ten-minute-mark.

Oh and the CYO coach, I pinned him early in the second quarter (my only T so far this year), and a couple minutes later my partner got the assistant coach. He told the table that the HC now had two total Ts, one more and he was out. We looked up a minute or two later and the HC was not on the bench and nowhere in the gym that I saw. Didn't see him again. There were two other people now coaching the team, and neither of them ever said a word to us. We theorized that either he thought he was ejected, or the principal or somebody told him to leave!

Oh, and I had my first varsity game last Saturday! It went very smoothly. And I had five fans there--my wife, three friends, and a ref/mentor friend.

Welpe Fri Dec 17, 2010 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 708049)
Oh, and I had my first varsity game last Saturday! It went very smoothly. And I had five fans there--my wife, three friends, and a ref/mentor friend.

Congrats! Nice to have your own cheering section. :D

I've had the little kid run on the court incident before. Thankfully I noticed her before running her over and her mom scooped her up a second later.

BBrules Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08am

Quote:

As for the airhorn, the FT went in which was good because I wasn't sure at the moment what I would do if the horn caused him to miss.

I guess my question at this point is what would be the correct thing to do? Another FT for a disconcertion? Play on while the offender is dealt with? I don't have my books with me, but I don't remember reading about this situation. I may have just missed it.

Loudwhistle Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:19am

PennCoach, Thanks for the update, last week Boys V we had a three year old enter the court as well! (no problem, just held up the throwin for a couple of seconds)I have never seen both coaches "leave" or be ejected. A coach a while ago told me that he got ejected years ago for two direct technicals with no assistant and the principal took over the team. Is this legal?

Adam Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 708064)
PennCoach, Thanks for the update, last week Boys V we had a three year old enter the court as well! (no problem, just held up the throwin for a couple of seconds)I have never seen both coaches "leave" or be ejected. A coach a while ago told me that he got ejected years ago for two direct technicals with no assistant and the principal took over the team. Is this legal?

That depends on your state rules for coaching qualifications. Assuming it was high school, that is. Personally, I wouldn't know nor follow up; that's up to the school/team. As long as there's an adult on the bench, we're playing on. Check local listings, though.

26 Year Gap Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41am

I think we all see things we haven't seen before. Some are things that are fun to talk about. Most are things we will never see again. A lot of them seem to happen in JV games. Saw one kid put a FT over the backboard on the fly. And on the ensuing trip down the floor for the other team a kid zipped a pass under pressure that hit that same kid in the head and deflected to a teammate who went in for a layup. Also had a kid fire a pass parallel to the floor into the post from outside the arc that was deflected by a defender inside the arc and it went into the hoop for two points.

justacoach Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:13am

Attn: Grunewar!!!!
Did somebody say SNAKES????

Rich Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48am

Quote:

I'm only about 20 games into my season and I've had quite a few oddball things in my games already:
  • airhorn from the crowd during FTA late in a close JV-B game
  • I toss, jumper catches the ball and my partner freezes
  • little girl running onto the court at the opposite end just as we have a steal and a fastbreak
  • I'm lead, ball near sideline on my line near midcourt, and my partner calls OOB, incorrectly!
  • name missing from a scorebook, caught by counting the players in warmups and asking the coach to figure out the missing name and add it
  • an opinionated 6th grade girls' travel league coach scream at me to bring in her sub after a made basket, and when I let play continue she convinced the kid running the clock to hit the horn
  • a CYO coach either eject himself or get fired mid-game

As for the airhorn, the FT went in which was good because I wasn't sure at the moment what I would do if the horn caused him to miss. Biggest JV-B game of the year I had so far at the biggest school in my area, and since it was close and long the gym was nearly packed. It was the first of two, with the home down by one point and about 30 seconds left, just as the shooter released it. After the make, I stopped my partner and went to the game manager, who pointed at a security guard already headed up into the stands to get the kid, so we played on. Of course, with no horn on the second shot, the guy missed and we ended up in OT. And the varsity officials always love it when the JV game goes OT!

I was new lead on the play with the little girl on the court, 6th grade boys' CYO. I was sprinting back with my head turned at the guy who stole the ball and I didn't see her. Luckily my partner did and got a quick loud toot out to stop the ten-boy stampede headed at the three-year-old!

The missing name isn't that odd I suppose, but I've never had it before. It was the first time that counting the players actually mattered. I also like to go to the table at -11:30 so I feel like I'm following the letter of the rule in these situations, getting it resolved before the ten-minute-mark.

Oh and the CYO coach, I pinned him early in the second quarter (my only T so far this year), and a couple minutes later my partner got the assistant coach. He told the table that the HC now had two total Ts, one more and he was out. We looked up a minute or two later and the HC was not on the bench and nowhere in the gym that I saw. Didn't see him again. There were two other people now coaching the team, and neither of them ever said a word to us. We theorized that either he thought he was ejected, or the principal or somebody told him to leave!

I had a streaker last year, middle of the second quarter. A senior boy from the home school. Ran right in front of me, around the court, and off the other corner. Might as well have called halftime at the point, cause it took that long for the players to get back into the game again. Personally, I was trying not to laugh (too much).

Ever notice streakers are always guys? Girls are too smart for that kind of thing. :D

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59am

Whenever a little kid runs out onto the court, I tell his parents that next time, make sure he checks in to the table first and waits for us to call him in. It usually gets a laugh. :)

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 17, 2010 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrules (Post 708060)
I guess my question at this point is what would be the correct thing to do? Another FT for a disconcertion? Play on while the offender is dealt with? I don't have my books with me, but I don't remember reading about this situation. I may have just missed it.

You were being studiously ignored, weren't you......:D

Can't call disconcertion. That only applies to "opponents" on the other team(9-1-3c), not spectators. See case book play 1.18(c). Warn 'em first and then you may give a team "T" out if it happens again, but you'd better be sure that it actually is a supporter of the team you're giving the "T" to.

BBrules Fri Dec 17, 2010 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 708131)
You were being studiously ignored, weren't you......:D

Can't call disconcertion. That only applies to "opponents" on the other team(9-1-3c), not spectators. See case book play 1.18(c). Warn 'em first and then you may give a team "T" out if it happens again, but you'd better be sure that it actually is a supporter of the team you're giving the "T" to.

I just figured there were a lot of folks digging into their casebooks for this one.:D I guess in concept it wouldn't be any different than the fans at the game I watched last Tuesday. One of them barked like a dog every time a player on the opposing team took a FT. I don't think it bothered the players, but it sure got on my nerves!

BillyMac Fri Dec 17, 2010 05:50pm

Saw It On Action News ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 708092)
I had a streaker last year, middle of the second quarter.

YouTube - The Streak ~ Ray Stevens

DLH17 Fri Dec 17, 2010 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 708096)
Whenever a little kid runs out onto the court, I tell his parents that next time, make sure he checks in to the table first and waits for us to call him in. It usually gets a laugh. :)

I like that!

grunewar Fri Dec 17, 2010 08:19pm

Me three.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 708058)
I've had the little kid run on the court incident before.

Girls JV Game, I'm T.

A1 passes to A2, B1 tips the ball into the backcourt. A1, A2, B1, and B2 go charging after it (these were not small girls).

Out of the corner of my eye I see Jr., must be 18 months old running onto the court after the ball. Me..... :eek: TWEET! TWEET!

Mom came onto the court, never knowing where Jr was before that moment I suppose. :rolleyes:

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 17, 2010 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrules (Post 708149)
One of them barked like a dog every time a player on the opposing team took a FT.

Why didn't you give him a DOG warning? :D