The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
first t

had my first "t" last night. Girls JV , On a throw in H54 defending and steady screaming BALL BALL BALL and doing contortionist jumping jacks, which was unnerving enough for me and the thrower. H54 then reaches through with her hands.. Me : tweet, and warning to the scorer (pretty sure I reported it properly although my partner wasn't aware of this apparently) A few minutes later into the first period h54 defending again on a throw in for V15. I motion along the end line plane as a warning and hand the ball to the thrower . H54 screaming BALL BALL BALL again and she reaches through to swat at the ball and has both feet out of bounds also. Me : tweet, and report a T to the scorer. Head coach ( at the top of her lungs): "It's going to be a long night girls! Partner comes running over with a whats up ? look ,so I say she reached through after a warning already , thats a T right ? partner administers 2 shots with the lane cleared and a division line throw in. it was a long night for me with my other screw ups but no more reaching through !
The other memorable part was a 1 and 1 bonus free throw. I motion 1 and 1 ,say 1 and 1 , and bounce the ball to v10. she shoots and misses . everybody on both teams stands there looking around (including me ) until my partner whistles,comes running in (laughing ) yelling "red ball" and I hear him explaining they can go for the rebound etc. I'm standing there waiting for my fan hecklers to get started on me and wondering what I messed up this time. And why the ball to the free throwers team ?
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
had my first "t" last night. Girls JV , On a throw in H54 defending and steady screaming BALL BALL BALL and doing contortionist jumping jacks, which was unnerving enough for me and the thrower. H54 then reaches through with her hands.. Me : tweet, and warning to the scorer (pretty sure I reported it properly although my partner wasn't aware of this apparently) A few minutes later into the first period h54 defending again on a throw in for V15. I motion along the end line plane as a warning and hand the ball to the thrower . H54 screaming BALL BALL BALL again and she reaches through to swat at the ball and has both feet out of bounds also. Me : tweet, and report a T to the scorer. Head coach ( at the top of her lungs): "It's going to be a long night girls! Partner comes running over with a whats up ? look ,so I say she reached through after a warning already , thats a T right ? partner administers 2 shots with the lane cleared and a division line throw in. it was a long night for me with my other screw ups but no more reaching through !
The other memorable part was a 1 and 1 bonus free throw. I motion 1 and 1 ,say 1 and 1 , and bounce the ball to v10. she shoots and misses . everybody on both teams stands there looking around (including me ) until my partner whistles,comes running in (laughing ) yelling "red ball" and I hear him explaining they can go for the rebound etc. I'm standing there waiting for my fan hecklers to get started on me and wondering what I messed up this time. And why the ball to the free throwers team ?
You say H54 reached through to swat the ball...I'm assuming she did not hit the ball. If she did, you'd have a player T to H54 (as well as a delay-of-game warning if one hadn't been issued earlier). If all she did was break the plane, then you handled the play correctly.

In the second situation, did your partner see you clearly say 1 and 1? If I saw this, I would not have come in with a whistle...a player is going to finally get what's going on and play will ensue. I've had this happen a few times and this always happens.

But since your partner did come in with a whistle. What was his reasoning for giving it to red? I'm assuming he used the AP and it was pointing to red.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you could of had a second T after you reported the first.

Gotta love those 1-and-1's and both teams brain fart. Never seen anyone whistle this play dead before though. Its usually just a seemingly long wait while we wait for someone to come out of their coma.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

My guess is that your partner simply killed "the play" and awarded an AP throw-in to red (NFHS 4-36-2c)

I've never seen a play (or lack thereof) quite like that one. I'd be interested to know how others would handle it. Me? At first, I'd just stand there and see if anybody would catch on. If that got no response, I might say something like, "That ball is still live" or "It was a one and one". I think I would only whistle it dead as a last resort and not until beyond the point where anyone with half a clue would have to realize that something is up.

BTW, righteous T. Her out of control defense is her problem. However, if even your partner didn't realize you had a delay warning...you need to find a way to communicate it more clearly.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
My guess is that your partner simply killed "the play" and awarded an AP throw-in to red (NFHS 4-36-2c)

I've never seen a play (or lack thereof) quite like that one. I'd be interested to know how others would handle it. Me? At first, I'd just stand there and see if anybody would catch on. If that got no response, I might say something like, "That ball is still live" or "It was a one and one". I think I would only whistle it dead as a last resort and not until beyond the point where anyone with half a clue would have to realize that something is up..
I'd simply stand there...especially if I was lead cause it'd be my partner who'd have to have his hand raised up the entire time!

What usually happens is either one players realizes what's happening and scores an easy basket/gets an easy fastbreak, or a player will grab the ball and toss it to the lead. Move out of the way and whistle the out of bounds violation (I've actually had this happen before).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 11:18pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
H54 then reaches through with her hands.. Me : tweet, and warning to the scorer (pretty sure I reported it properly although my partner wasn't aware of this apparently)
Don't forget, you have to report the delay of game warning to both the official scorer and the offending team's coach.

If you have a younger/inexperienced scorekeeper, take a second to walk him through it, "write D.O.G. warning at the bottom of that team's page."

Expect the occasional coach objection, especially if they're younger. ("It's only a middle school game.") The players won't learn if you don't enforce.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 11:35pm
Archaic Power Monger

I had a similar 1 and 1 situation happen during a JV boys game this year while I was administering the free throws. The first shot is no good but nobody reacts. A Team A player grabs the ball and throws it to me just as his coach starts screaming that it is a live ball. I stepped aside, let the ball go out and pointed the other way.

I clearly announced one and one, so I have no idea what was going on there. I even confirmed with my partner that I had announced it. Guess they weren't quite ready to play on a Saturday morning.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

It goes both ways

I have had about 15 instances the other way in about 30 games so far this year. We announce 1 and 1, shooter makes the first and everyone thinks we are done. Team that was on offense heads back on defense and the other team starts to take the ball out.

Boy they have short memories!
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Head coach ( at the top of her lungs): "It's going to be a long night girls!"
This is an easy technical foul on the coach: she's overtly trying to show you up.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This is an easy technical foul on the coach: she's overtly trying to show you up.
I was thinking the same thing, so.....

+1
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I was thinking the same thing, so.....

+1
I love it when you T them up and they get all, "What did I say? What did I say?"

"Coach, it's not just what you say, but how you say it."
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 11:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I love it when you T them up and they get all, "What did I say? What did I say?"

"Coach, it's not just what you say, but how you say it."
They always know what they said that got them the T. They may not know why, either. Then again, they don't need to.

Your dog doesn't need to know why it's not ok to crap on the carpet. He only needs to be trained not to do it.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
your dog doesn't need to know why it's not ok to crap on the carpet. He only needs to be trained not to do it.
+1
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 11:49am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Your dog doesn't need to know why it's not ok to crap on the carpet. He only needs to be trained not to do it.
Love the analogy. Coaches do a good job at playing dumb when it suits them.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Upward ref - congrats on popping it. Now, when you call one on a coach for illegal use of mouth without brain, you'll be a real man.