The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

3 person closely guarded

Who do you do? 3 person. You are center. Trail has a closely guarded count going on A1. A1 comes into center's primary area. Does center start a closely guarded count as well?

Thanks,
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donj View Post
Who do you do? 3 person. You are center. Trail has a closely guarded count going on A1. A1 comes into center's primary area. Does center start a closely guarded count as well?

Thanks,
If trail has a closely guarded count, he should stay with the match up and continue the count until it's broken.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 12:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If trail has a closely guarded count, he should stay with the match up and continue the count until it's broken.
+1 Correct.

This is also true in 2-person. There is no way that the other official knows the count of the other official, nor could a transition be done accurately.

It might look weird, but it's the only way to do it properly.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks APG, but wanted to know if center official starts a closely guarded count along with trails (which I know he continues), even though the counts are going to be different. I've been told center should start a count and not to. What's the correct procedure or rather the consensus. Thanks
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Or you can do like I saw in the game last night. Don't start the count until they are 2' apart and then stop it when it moves to 3'. That way you never get to a 5 count or have to worry about them getting into another PCA.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Thanks APG, but wanted to know if center official starts a closely guarded count along with trails (which I know he continues), even though the counts are going to be different. I've been told center should start a count and not to. What's the correct procedure or rather the consensus. Thanks
If your partner has a count going, you probably should not be looking at that matchup. Once your partner "releases" the play to you, then you can start a count as you pick up the coverage. So no - you shouldn't have a count going at the same time.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I'm not going to be picking up the match up if my partner has a count. Therefore, I won't be having a count. If the mechanic is being performed properly, there's no need for two officials to have a count. If the count isn't broken, there will be a violation. If it isn't, you have to start a new count anyhow, at which point you'll be picking up the match up.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.