The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Spot throw in. A1 inbounding ball and accidentally drops it and it rolls outside of the 3-foot wide area. A1 retrieves ball and returns to throw-in spot and completes throw-in within the five seconds. Would you call a violation or just blow the whistle (similar to a player losing the ball during a free throw attempt) and have a "do-over." Would it make a difference in how you handled it if B1 was applying inbounds pressure?

Thanks,

Z
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Accidentally or intentionally...........

sounds like a violation to me. If a player accidentally steps on the line, you will call a violation then right?

The only way I could see not calling a violation, would be if A1 never had control of the ball. Other than that, violation all the way.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Spot throw in. A1 inbounding ball and accidentally drops it and it rolls outside of the 3-foot wide area. A1 retrieves ball and returns to throw-in spot and completes throw-in within the five seconds. Would you call a violation or just blow the whistle (similar to a player losing the ball during a free throw attempt) and have a "do-over." Would it make a difference in how you handled it if B1 was applying inbounds pressure?

Thanks,

Z
If A1 is able to keep some part of his foot over the 3-foot area and reach the ball and the ball has not touched inbounds, there is no violation. If A1 does not keep a foot over the area or the ball touches inbound, violation.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

We were told to handle this differently by our state

1. If the fumble was a result of the exchange from offical to thrower....Blow it dead and start again

2. If the fumble was after the exchange, If it is a fumble (not deception) and the throw recovered the ball and came back to the spot(while the thrower and ball are still oob) and released before the 5 sec...legal play
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
sounds like a violation to me. If a player accidentally steps on the line, you will call a violation then right?

The only way I could see not calling a violation, would be if A1 never had control of the ball. Other than that, violation all the way.

Peace
Rut,
Gotcha!
...Over the line.
mick
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Maybe Rut was refering to FIBA rules?

Under FIBA, the line is always considered to be part of the area of the court that would cause a violation.

In other words, if you are inbounding the ball, the line is part of the playing area. If the ball is inbounds, the line os part of out of bounds. When attempting a 3, the line is part of the two point area. When lining up for free throws, the lane lines are part of the restricted area.

Sounds confusing, but is actually very easy to intepret and officiate.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 05:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb On the line.

If a player steps on the line, they are Out of bounds, in the lane and shot a 2 point try if feet or other parts of the body touches it. I was not talking about on a throw in. If you would call a player touching the line that was unintentional in those examples a violation, you would call that a violation. In this case, a violation should be called for something that is accidental or intentional. And yes if you are at many courts, if you touch the line you will be on the court.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 06:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Maybe Rut was refering to FIBA rules?

Under FIBA, the line is always considered to be part of the area of the court that would cause a violation.

In other words, if you are inbounding the ball, the line is part of the playing area. If the ball is inbounds, the line os part of out of bounds. When attempting a 3, the line is part of the two point area. When lining up for free throws, the lane lines are part of the restricted area.

Sounds confusing, but is actually very easy to intepret and officiate.
Oz,the boundary lines are always out-of-bounds under FED and NCAA rules.It is legal to step on the line when making a throw in because the thrower in is still OOB.That was mick's point.Similarly,the center(10 second)line is always considered part of the back-court,no matter which way you're going.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
We were told to handle this differently by our state

2. If the fumble was after the exchange, If it is a fumble (not deception) and the throw recovered the ball and came back to the spot(while the thrower and ball are still oob) and released before the 5 sec...legal play
I've seen this interp before (but I can't recall where).

I've always wondered how it reconciled with 9-2-1.

After all, if it's legal to go after the ball, then return, why is it an immediate violation if the player leves the spot holding the ball -- the player might be planning to return to the spot before releasing the ball.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Just my guess,

no intent to gain an advantage (if it is a legitimate fumble)by leaving the spot.

going with the concept of a player may always recover a fumble.

Like I said, Just a SWAG.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Re: Accidentally or intentionally...........

Quote:

Peace
I know there are many different opinions regarding what signal to use for this violation. Any thoughts?
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Accidentally or intentionally...........

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
Quote:

Peace
I know there are many different opinions regarding what signal to use for this violation. Any thoughts?
Whistle...open hand up....point to spot with index finger and sweep it away from the spot....it's on the chart. On the old chart I have here at work it is #17 "Free throw, desiginated spot, or other violation".
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

If there was pressure....It would be a violation(in my opinion)....No pressure.....I would have a hard time calling a violation.

No easy answer

AK ref SE
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 01:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only way..............

I am not calling a violation if a player never gained possession (not by rule, but in reality). Now if a player has possession of the ball and accidentally fumbles or drops the ball, I am calling violation if they violate the principles of the throw-in spot. Now if they never have the ball and cannot get a hold of it, that is another story.

I think it is not our job to give breaks if a player is clumbsy or has no skills with the ball. That is the job of the coach to make that determination.

Just one opinion.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with PAULH1, It is not a violation to retrieve a FUMBLE.