The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   H.S. 3 person Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60117-h-s-3-person-mechanics.html)

Clark Kent Mon Dec 13, 2010 01:36pm

H.S. 3 person Mechanics

I had a discussion with a friend the other night and went to look in my mechanics book but couldn't find the book, so I thought I'd throw the question out there in hopes of someone being able to reference the mechanics or at the very least offer opinions.

I know college men's we don't bounce the ball across the key but rather go over to the player and force C to go to L. In the women's game it is a mechanic to not force a rotation but rather to bounce the ball across the key. What about H.S.?

Adam Mon Dec 13, 2010 02:04pm

In high school, rotate. Don't bounce across the key.

Rich Mon Dec 13, 2010 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 707225)
In high school, rotate. Don't bounce across the key.

Yup. We don't toss across in NFHS mechanics.

I worked an NCAAM game on Saturday afternoon and I *loved* going opposite, BTW. Hadn't done it since we started going tableside in HS games. While I have no problem talking to a coach and answering questions, I feel the talking and "communicating" has gone too far in the opposite direction. Sometimes a foul is just a foul and there doesn't have to be a comment or a question.

Adam Mon Dec 13, 2010 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 707226)
Yup. We don't toss across in NFHS mechanics.

I worked an NCAAM game on Saturday afternoon and I *loved* going opposite, BTW. Hadn't done it since we started going tableside in HS games. While I have no problem talking to a coach and answering questions, I feel the talking and "communicating" has gone too far in the opposite direction. Sometimes a foul is just a foul and there doesn't have to be a comment or a question.

We've already made that "correction" here. Must have been an IAABO change.

Clark Kent Mon Dec 13, 2010 02:34pm

Thanks fellas.

Do either of you have a reference where it says that?

Adam Mon Dec 13, 2010 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 707230)
Thanks fellas.

Only every eval I've ever had. :D
I don't know that you'll find one, what you'll find is an absence of a reference to any exceptions to the mechanics that would allow for that.

Clark Kent Mon Dec 13, 2010 02:40pm

So what do I tell the guy that when I tell him it doesn't allow for it in the book and him saying "It doesn't NOT allow for it either"?

Besides that he isn't suppose to use a double negative in a proper sentence?

Adam Mon Dec 13, 2010 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 707232)
So what do I tell the guy that when I tell him it doesn't allow for it in the book and him saying "It doesn't NOT allow for it either"?

Besides that he isn't suppose to use a double negative in a proper sentence?

Where does the mechanic say to stand when administering a throw-in in the backcourt?

mbyron Mon Dec 13, 2010 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 707230)
Thanks fellas.

Current manual, 2.2.2 General Throw-in Provisions:

C. End Line:
1. All end line throw-ins shall be made from outside the thrower; between the sideline and the thrower. (p. 21)

Ed Maeder Mon Dec 13, 2010 03:04pm

Check 3.2.2C 2&3 Pg.53

Scratch85 Mon Dec 13, 2010 03:45pm

Ed has the right reference. Since you can't find your Officials Manual, the verbage is as follows:

3.2.2(C)3 Backcourt end line throw-ins by the Trail shall be made outside the thrower.

Clark Kent Mon Dec 13, 2010 04:38pm

Perfect. Thanks guys.....you are all on my christmas mailing list again ;)

Adam Mon Dec 13, 2010 04:42pm

All I ask is that you stop sending your snow this way.

Clark Kent Mon Dec 13, 2010 04:56pm

That's not us....no snow here.....in fact I have to run mow my lawn ;)

jeffpea Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:10am

I remember the mantra: "bounce it on the sidelines, hand it on the baseline"...