The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 02:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Team shoots lights out - literally

Last night 6th grade "competitive" girls game. A few minutes into Q3, A1 takes a long three and swishes it. Immediately, the lights go out on our side of the gym! Parents try to find the school monitor, but can't. Besides, they are halogen lights and take some time to go on. On the other side of the curtain in this gym, a boys 8th grade team from my local kids rec league was just finishing a practice. I asked them to cut it short as a favor (only 7 or 8 minutes short) and we moved everything over to that side of the gym and finished the game.

Gotta tell ya' - it was really weird. Oh yeah, about 10 minutes after we restarted, the monitor came over and turned the lights back on. They took about another 15 minutes before they were fully bright.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a GV game at a small rural school a year or two ago. The lights went out during the 2nd quarter. While we waited for them to warm back up, the home team (who were losing) got bored and began performing an impromptu dance routine, cheered on by the equally bored crowd. Their coach turned to me and said, "If they'd put that much energy into playing, we might be winning". He was smiling, but it was a frustrated smile.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 04:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Oh those halogen lights.......

I had a GV Game last yr where they turned out the lights so they could do their HS version of the ole Chicago Bulls opening.......unfortunately, when they were finished with the festivities it took the lights a good 10-15 minutes to heat up and come back on.

The H coach asked me if we could start the game in the "semi-darkness" as I guess he knew the beat-down that was going to happen.

We waited......he was right!
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 05:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Senior Nights, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
They turned out the lights so they could do their HS version of the Chicago Bulls opening, unfortunately, when they were finished with the festivities it took the lights a good 10-15 minutes to heat up and come back on.
Been there. Done that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I had one of those games a few years back. Advised the visitors' coach about the delay and restart expectancy of 5 or 10 minutes, and he said it was too bad because his players might as well be shooting in the dark, anyway.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 05:22pm
Official & Member

In Florida, thunderstorms and lightning strikes are almost a daily occurence in the summer so this happens pretty regularly in AAU and summer rec leagues. What really stinks is when it happens twice in a game...15 minutes for the lights to re-cycle...get started again and BOOM! Out again.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 05:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
In Florida, thunderstorms and lightning strikes are almost a daily occurence in the summer so this happens pretty regularly in AAU and summer rec leagues. What really stinks is when it happens twice in a game...15 minutes for the lights to re-cycle...get started again and BOOM! Out again.
Guess I've been lucky then. No problems from March-July in this area.