The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team shoots lights out - literally (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60134-team-shoots-lights-out-literally.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 14, 2010 02:53pm

Team shoots lights out - literally

Last night 6th grade "competitive" girls game. A few minutes into Q3, A1 takes a long three and swishes it. Immediately, the lights go out on our side of the gym! Parents try to find the school monitor, but can't. Besides, they are halogen lights and take some time to go on. On the other side of the curtain in this gym, a boys 8th grade team from my local kids rec league was just finishing a practice. I asked them to cut it short as a favor (only 7 or 8 minutes short) and we moved everything over to that side of the gym and finished the game.

Gotta tell ya' - it was really weird. Oh yeah, about 10 minutes after we restarted, the monitor came over and turned the lights back on. They took about another 15 minutes before they were fully bright.

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 14, 2010 04:11pm

I was working a GV game at a small rural school a year or two ago. The lights went out during the 2nd quarter. While we waited for them to warm back up, the home team (who were losing) got bored and began performing an impromptu dance routine, cheered on by the equally bored crowd. Their coach turned to me and said, "If they'd put that much energy into playing, we might be winning". He was smiling, but it was a frustrated smile.

grunewar Tue Dec 14, 2010 04:47pm

Oh those halogen lights.......

I had a GV Game last yr where they turned out the lights so they could do their HS version of the ole Chicago Bulls opening.......unfortunately, when they were finished with the festivities it took the lights a good 10-15 minutes to heat up and come back on.

The H coach asked me if we could start the game in the "semi-darkness" as I guess he knew the beat-down that was going to happen.

We waited......he was right! ;)

BillyMac Tue Dec 14, 2010 05:12pm

Senior Nights, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 707491)
They turned out the lights so they could do their HS version of the Chicago Bulls opening, unfortunately, when they were finished with the festivities it took the lights a good 10-15 minutes to heat up and come back on.

Been there. Done that.

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 15, 2010 01:57pm

I had one of those games a few years back. Advised the visitors' coach about the delay and restart expectancy of 5 or 10 minutes, and he said it was too bad because his players might as well be shooting in the dark, anyway.

Bad Zebra Wed Dec 15, 2010 05:22pm

In Florida, thunderstorms and lightning strikes are almost a daily occurence in the summer so this happens pretty regularly in AAU and summer rec leagues. What really stinks is when it happens twice in a game...15 minutes for the lights to re-cycle...get started again and BOOM! Out again.

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 15, 2010 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 707684)
In Florida, thunderstorms and lightning strikes are almost a daily occurence in the summer so this happens pretty regularly in AAU and summer rec leagues. What really stinks is when it happens twice in a game...15 minutes for the lights to re-cycle...get started again and BOOM! Out again.

Guess I've been lucky then. No problems from March-July in this area.