Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 09:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I gotta tell ya.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
All JV games are still 2-man. Which makes the transition period between JV and V pretty awkward.
I did two-man BJV last night between two big schools and find it easier doing three-man V. Two-man between good F or JV teams can be tough IMO.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 01:43am
Archaic Power Monger

From what I understand, many districts around here use three whistle but there are also some that use two. Same with some private schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Kingsman: Your tag line verifies the use of 2-man in SoCal. Not always true in 3-man.
I've heard this before. What is the meaning behind that phrase?
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
Mostly 2-person in my little corner of Missouri.
I'm in the same corner as you.

I said before I wasn't sure about the rest of Missouri, but I do know in St. Louis and Kansas City that most of the larger schools use 3 officials for varsity games. Those officials also only work the varsity games and they have two others that work the JV games if they're the same night. Around here we work both the JV and varsity games, usually with just two officials.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

In Wisconsin only 2 required until postseason. Sometimes a crew of two will bring a third official. They need to get some 3 man in before playoffs. They just split the two checks between the three of them.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:05am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
In Wisconsin only 2 required until postseason. Sometimes a crew of two will bring a third official. They need to get some 3 man in before playoffs. They just split the two checks between the three of them.
In VT, the state has 3 in all playoff games. So, they require schools based on enrollment to have 3 on the crew for a certain number of games. Some schools may elect to have more than the minimum. It is pretty foolhardy to not have a requirement like this and to then expect officials to convert to a new system in the playoffs IMO. Here in FL, I believe there is a minimum for each school. I am not going to try to figger it out, though.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Have not done any BV with 2. Have done a few GV with 3. No JV with 3. Pay difference is slightly more for 2. All tournaments and post-season have 3 on the crew.
This makes me curious; are there some schools that use 3 for boys and 2 for girls?
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I've heard this before. What is the meaning behind that phrase?
It's just another way of saying to be outside the player on the endline. When he turns to you to take the ball, his a$$ is facing the glass.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:05am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This makes me curious; are there some schools that use 3 for boys and 2 for girls?
All I can tell you is that in my primary association, I have yet to see 3 on a crew in a GV game. And I have yet to see [with the exception of a small private school with a smaller court] 2 on a crew in a BV game. In my secondary association, there are always 3 assigned to a varsity game.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
All I can tell you is that in my primary association, I have yet to see 3 on a crew in a GV game. And I have yet to see [with the exception of a small private school with a smaller court] 2 on a crew in a BV game. In my secondary association, there are always 3 assigned to a varsity game.
That's interesting; wonder how long it'll be before someone considers this a Title IX violation.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:16am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
That's interesting; wonder how long it'll be before someone considers this a Title IX violation.
I am not going to be 'that guy'.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I am not going to be 'that guy'.
Ah, come on. Actually, I would expect it from someone on the fan/parent/coaching side. I could honestly see the lawsuit going either way.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:30am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Ah, come on. Actually, I would expect it from someone on the fan/parent/coaching side. I could honestly see the lawsuit going either way.
When the state was going to cut schedules last year, excepting football, that is precisely what prevented it from implementation. There might be games that DO have 3 [G] and some with 2 [B] that I don't know about since I do not see the master schedule. In my 4 years of varsity ball, I have yet to hear "We should have had 3 on this game" on the girls side. I have heard it plenty on the boys side when a crew of 2 was assigned.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Utah has five divisions, 1A through 5A. 4A and 5A boys varsity use three man. 1A, 2A, and 3A varsity and all sub-varsity use two man.

Everything is two man on the girl's side.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
When the state was going to cut schedules last year, excepting football, that is precisely what prevented it from implementation. There might be games that DO have 3 [G] and some with 2 [B] that I don't know about since I do not see the master schedule. In my 4 years of varsity ball, I have yet to hear "We should have had 3 on this game" on the girls side. I have heard it plenty on the boys side when a crew of 2 was assigned.
Agreed, and if the lawsuit breaks on the side of allowing the difference, I would expect more areas to follow suit. I would at least expect to see more areas introduce 3-whistle for boys while continuing to use 2 for girls. Not sure we'll see many go backwards and move from 3 to 2 for girls, though.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Utah has five divisions, 1A through 5A. 4A and 5A boys varsity use three man. 1A, 2A, and 3A varsity and all sub-varsity use two man.

Everything is two man on the girl's side.
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that.