Oooo! I like that response.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:03pm
Administrator

My first repsonse was semi-serious, but a TF is warrented in this case. The HC was not venting, he comments were a direct attack on your officiating and he WAS out of the coaching box and OUT on the plahing court when he made his remarks.

The key in this situation is that the HC was out of the coaching box and on the playing court making derogatory comments about your officiating.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, what you said is exactly what our assignor and the state have been telling us. By rule, I should have whacked the coach. The reason I posted this: Every year there is discussion with newer officials about what we take and what we administer a technical for. By rule, I should have T'ed this coach. On top of that, one of my pet peeves is coaches blaming me for someone getting hurt. I really feel that coach was insinuating that I was not calling a tight game, doing a good job, etc. and honestly it pissed me off. Still, I passed and we got the game going. The point I guess to newer officials is there are some things coaches will say that you won't like but that aren't really unsportsmanlike. If she would have said "If she get's hurt it's all YOUR fault". T time. Even w/o changing the words to make it personal if she would have been screaming it, T time. No one could hear her but me and I knew what she was saying but she didn't make it personal, I just took it that way. Game on let's play.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 12:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There's a lot of contact, especially in girls games with mediocre contact. Like I'm fond of saying, this isn't chess.

We had a player run into an opponent's stationary elbow and go to the floor a week or so ago. The coach asked me if I missed the elbow and I told him no, that I clearly saw his player come up from behind and hit the other player's elbow with her head. I'm sure I won no friends there, but quite frankly, I had had enough by this point.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

On the subject of whacking a coach, what would you say and/or do if a varsity coach took the opportunity to say, "You could at least act like you're trying.", followed a few minutes later by saying "You are taking this game over, and you now what, your two partners agree with me. They said the same thing."

I'll give you my response, but want to hear yours first.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
On the subject of whacking a coach, what would you say and/or do if a varsity coach took the opportunity to say, "You could at least act like you're trying.", followed a few minutes later by saying "You are taking this game over, and you now what, your two partners agree with me. They said the same thing."

His first comment was his first "T". His second comment (if he's stoopid enough to try again) is buh-bye.

If they want to complain about a call, fine. They get some leeway. If they want to get personal, they don't.

JMO.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 06:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
His first comment was his first "T". His second comment (if he's stoopid enough to try again) is buh-bye.

If they want to complain about a call, fine. They get some leeway. If they want to get personal, they don't.

JMO.
Yep.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JMO.
Mine too.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

By the book, the coach deserves a T but I would probably give him a warning first. I don't like to give Ts on something like this unless I have already given a coach a verbal warning prior to it and he continues.

OTOH, if he is on my case all game long (more than moderate whining), I will whack him for a comment like that since he is out of the box - more for being out of the box than the comments.

Robby
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 10:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
By the book, the coach deserves a T but I would probably give him a warning first. I don't like to give Ts on something like this unless I have already given a coach a verbal warning prior to it and he continues.

OTOH, if he is on my case all game long (more than moderate whining), I will whack him for a comment like that since he is out of the box - more for being out of the box than the comments.

Robby
Are you responding to the OP or the more recent scenario?

And no coach is going to be on my case all game long.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Are you responding to the OP or the more recent scenario?

And no coach is going to be on my case all game long.
The OP.

And I agree, no coach is going to be on my case all game long either. I will let him/her say a few things but once it becomes their normal routine I will whack them early on. (Although I will usually give a warning first)

Robby
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

whack. whack.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 08:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I'd whack immediately on the first comment. I don't play those types of games with coaches.

The second comment (if he's dumb enough to continue after the seatbelt from the first serving of tea) would get him a trip out of the gym.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JMO.
EXACTLY!

The thing I have to watch is getting too demonstrative when I issue a T.

If a Coach has really pissed me off...I'll give a verbal "BOOM" right along with the quick T signal.

Was doing a playoff game a few years ago...the Coach from the far away school did not really know me...when I whacked him, he told one of my partners that he didn't mind the technical foul...but, he resented the "BOOM" that came with it.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 12:25pm.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

In the OP, I wouldn't whack a coach for this (assuming nothing untoward has occurred during the game). But I would address it. I wouldn't address the coach's issue until he has addressed mine...which is getting back in his box.

In the second scenario, either of those comments would elicit a T from me for the illegal use of a personal pronoun. If both of them came my way, both would elicit a T. If he's trying to work each of us, or trying to play my partners and I off of each other, we'll talk and one of my partners will likely give him the second one (assuming he's dumb enough to keep on trying). But if I am the lucky lone object of his desire, I'll handle them both.