The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

End of game

Small school boys varsity two person game. Score V 56 H 54 Foul count V 10 H 7, with 7.5 seconds left V have the ball, and inbound it and pass it around avoiding a foul, then just PRIOR to the sound of the horn a foul, my partner blows his whistle, horn goes off. I'm not sure what I was doing...I recall thinking blue 34 will we our shooter, but I didn't look up at the clock quick enough to have "visible" information or knowledge that there was time on the clock, but I don't need "visible" knowledge I need "definite" information as stated in 5-10-1 (see below).

What should I have done? I KNOW that there was a measurement of time (how great or small I couldn't tell you honestly) between the whistle and the horn. Game over? Or do I add an amount of time on the clock of .1, .2, or .3 none of which make a difference and put blue 34 to the line?

5-10-1
The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information relative tot he time involved. The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock.

5-6-2 exception 3
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Game over. No need to shoot the FTs.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Bob's answer assumes that "blue" is the visitors' color, that a V player got fouled as time expired, and that they're winning when the horn goes off. You don't shoot FT's in that situation, because it won't affect the outcome of the game. You can't put time on the clock, because you don't have definite information about how much was left when the whistle blew.

Game over.