The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
How many calories burned?

How many calories are burned officiating a basketball game (on average)? Most of my games are girls varsity with two officials.

A different approach: What exercise is most similar to officiating (in terms of a workout)?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 09:47am
In Memoriam

It all depends on whether the games are competitive or not. You use up a heckuva lot more calories in a competive grade 2 girls game than in a non-competitive grade 2 girls game.

It's true, it's true....

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Dec 04, 2010 at 09:54am.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
It all depends on whether the games are competitive or not. You use up a heckuva lot more calories in a competive grade 2 girls game than in a non-competitive grade 2 girls game.

It's true, it's true....
I this were face book I'd click "Like"
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
A different approach: What exercise is most similar to officiating (in terms of a workout)?
Im going to go out on a limb on this one and say....Running?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 11:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Four Hundred Pound Gorilla In The Gym ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
Running?
For a two hundred pound official, running about three miles (my average, using a pedometer, for a few varsity games last year), it's about 400 calories. However, that assumes that your running all the time. Sometimes we run at full speed, sometimes we jog, and sometimes we walk.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
How many calories are burned officiating a basketball game (on average)? Most of my games are girls varsity with two officials.

The best type of exercise is anything that gets you to stop and start alot. I know that treadmills and elipticals have programs where the pace speeds up and slows down and speeds up which are good. If you just set it on one speed and stick to it, you really aren't simulating what we do.
Also, I am a HUGE wii FIT and wii ACTIVE advocate. Especially with those who have knee problems. But a word of advice: Don't start a new wii ACTIVE program the day before you embark on a 5 games in 6 days stretch!! Your quads will curse you!
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 07:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Followup ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For a two hundred pound official, running about three miles (my average, using a pedometer, for a few varsity games last year), it's about 400 calories. However, that assumes that your running all the time. Sometimes we run at full speed, sometimes we jog, and sometimes we walk.
Thinking back to my running days, I ran road races as a young adult, the two most important factors regarding calories burned are the distance traveled, and the weight of the runner. Speed is certainly a factor, but it is a very small factor. If you're going to cover a certain distance, the faster your run, the less time you will be running; and the slower you run, the more time you will be running.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
Im going to go out on a limb on this one and say....Running?

I'd say it is more like line dancing - slide to the left, slide to the right. Gotta get those angles.