The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Live ball dead ball question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59944-live-ball-dead-ball-question.html)

kzooref Wed Dec 01, 2010 02:18pm

Live ball dead ball question

My partners and I are having trouble with this question on a rules quiz. In which of the following situations do you have a live ball?

a) When a whistle sounds after the ball has been released on a try (whistle is not for a player control foul)
b) When a free thrower catches a ball from the administering official
c) After a basket and the official begins administering the 5 second count
d) All of the above are live ball

For a the rule book says it is a dead ball when the official's whistle is blown except while a tap or try is in flight so a appears live. For b it does not mention it specifically in the rule book but it does mention a ball becomes dead when a FT is made or when it is apparent it will be missed when it is to be followed by a throw in or another FT. So that leads me to believe b is live. For C a ball becomes live when at disposal of thrower. So I would say all of the above.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2010 02:22pm

NFHS rules 6-1-2 and 6-7EXCEPTION(a) answers all questions.

Indianaref Wed Dec 01, 2010 02:27pm

Also try 6-7-5, read the Exceptions

Freddy Wed Dec 01, 2010 06:54pm

What about . . . ?

The question on that test that really begs analysis is the one about the player with a red jersey and green undershirt. As a taker of this particular test, any opinion of that one?

Freddy Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:00pm

Kzoo Ref:

Check your private mail, could you?
Thanx.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:00pm

Read the rule on disposal as well. 4-4-7

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 704424)
The question on that test that really begs analysis is the one about the player with a red jersey and green undershirt. As a taker of this particular test, any opinion of that one?

My opinion is that we should follow the applicable rule.

Adam Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 704435)
My opinion is that we should follow the applicable rule.

And that's the only valid opinion on that particular question.

Scrapper1 Wed Dec 01, 2010 09:06pm

Quote:

The question on that test that really begs analysis is the one about the player with a red jersey and green undershirt.

How much analysis does that really need??? :confused:

Nevadaref Wed Dec 01, 2010 09:09pm

Quote:

Well, if it's a Christmas tournament...:D

Freddy Thu Dec 02, 2010 07:06am

Because...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 704454)
How much analysis does that really need??? :confused:

Sorry for the cryptic reply.
It was a question on a state test which offered no correct answer, as far as I could discern, and I was hoping he'd offer it as a response or new thread.

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 02, 2010 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 704562)
It was a question on a state test which offered no correct answer, as far as I could discern, and I was hoping he'd offer it as a response or new thread.

How could there not be a correct answer to such a fairly basic question like that one?

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:41am

Quote:

Well, since nobody has given the analysis, here goes. By rule, the situation you describe cannot exist. A player is one of the 5 team members legally participating in the game. Since the question says the team member is wearing a red jersey and green undershirt, that person is not allowed to become a player. In order to participate in the game, the team member must remove the green undershirt. If s/he wishes to wear an undershirt it must be similar in color to the game jersey (i.e., red).

This is not a situation where the team member is allowed to participate at the expense of a technical foul.

AND -- s/he better leave the visual confines of the court to take off the undershirt.

Adam Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 704645)
Well, since nobody has given the analysis, here goes. By rule, the situation you describe cannot exist. A player is one of the 5 team members legally participating in the game. Since the question says the team member is wearing a red jersey and green undershirt, that person is not allowed to become a player. In order to participate in the game, the team member must remove the green undershirt. If s/he wishes to wear an undershirt it must be similar in color to the game jersey (i.e., red).

This is not a situation where the team member is allowed to participate at the expense of a technical foul.

AND -- s/he better leave the visual confines of the court to take off the undershirt.

Hmmm. What if they are able to remove the undershirt without removing the jersey?

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 02, 2010 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 704649)
Hmmm. What if they are able to remove the undershirt without removing the jersey?

You know, as soon as I hit "submit", I knew somebody was going to ask that. That would legal.