The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 12:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow Tough one tonight

The MS level "competitive" season kicks off tonight around here (our local kids rec league begins next week) and I've been assigned a 5th grade girls game (which is actually elementary school level). I sure hope I can handle it. Not only that, the visitors coach is a friend of mine and he also coaches his HS son in our rec league.

Only worked once with my assigned partner last season and I think I remember him tossing a coach.

Gotta remember to eat a good dinner and take my meds. Ya' know, I just figured out that between my house and this school (which is in the next town over), there's about 5 fast food joints. Hmmmmm.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Remember to stretch!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 01:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The MS level "competitive" season kicks off tonight around here (our local kids rec league begins next week) and I've been assigned a 5th grade girls game (which is actually elementary school level). I sure hope I can handle it. Not only that, the visitors coach is a friend of mine and he also coaches his HS son in our rec league.

Only worked once with my assigned partner last season and I think I remember him tossing a coach.

Gotta remember to eat a good dinner and take my meds. Ya' know, I just figured out that between my house and this school (which is in the next town over), there's about 5 fast food joints. Hmmmmm.
Especially, if you want some substance when you puke on his shoes.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Is this Twitter?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Is this Twitter?
Nice.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Is this Twitter?
#funny
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 03:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Actually, the toughest thing about this particular league is how we get paid. The home coach is responsible for paying the refs each game no later than halftime. Imagine having a problem with that coach then going over at halftime to ask for your money.

Fortunately, usually a team parent in the stands pays us and about half the time, we get paid just before the game starts, instead of having to wait until halftime.

I wonder if any coach ever stopped payment on a check?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 11:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Well, the game is over and the home team won 14-8. Whoopie. My partner was a few minutes late because he originally went to the wrong school. There were hardly any fouls in the game, but we had over 30 (the scorekeeper kept track for some reason) 5 second closely guarded calls. I don't know how many 3 second calls we had but there were tons.

No problem at all with the coaches but one of them thought the other team got two alternating possession arrow inbounds in a row. He didn't know that when his team got the ball to start the second quarter, that counted. My partner had to explain it to him. I told the coach that maybe we made a mistake but to make up for it, we'd give his team two out of the next three. He didn't get it.

BTW - my partner lives about 20 miles from the gym. When the game was over, I told him that I would be home and in a hot shower before he even got to the freeway. He was a good sport and just laughed.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:23am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The MS level "competitive" season kicks off tonight around here (our local kids rec league begins next week) and I've been assigned a 5th grade girls game (which is actually elementary school level).
A couple of observations about this level. Mark, see if you agree.

The last place team always has the most pleasant bunch of fans you ever see. They routinely get beaten by scores of 18-2. They rarely complain about anything, and are overjoyed when (if) their team scores two points.

The first place team is often, conversely, really nasty. Many times there are moms here getting their first taste of "My kid is at the top, and now you want to take something away from her."

"OH MY GOD!! REF, ARE YOU BLIND???"

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 04:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Well, the game is over and the home team won 14-8. Whoopie. My partner was a few minutes late because he originally went to the wrong school. There were hardly any fouls in the game, but we had over 30 (the scorekeeper kept track for some reason) 5 second closely guarded calls. I don't know how many 3 second calls we had but there were tons.

No problem at all with the coaches but one of them thought the other team got two alternating possession arrow inbounds in a row. He didn't know that when his team got the ball to start the second quarter, that counted. My partner had to explain it to him. I told the coach that maybe we made a mistake but to make up for it, we'd give his team two out of the next three. He didn't get it.

BTW - my partner lives about 20 miles from the gym. When the game was over, I told him that I would be home and in a hot shower before he even got to the freeway. He was a good sport and just laughed.
HA! I haven't had a chance to use this one lately. I still love it though.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Due Diligence

Quote:
We had over 30 (the scorekeeper kept track for some reason) 5 second closely guarded calls.
chseagle? Just a guess.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Who Do You Think You Are ??? Conan ???

Quote:
I told the coach that maybe we made a mistake but to make up for it, we'd give his team two out of the next three. He didn't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I haven't had a chance to use this one lately. I still love it though.
Be careful. Know your audience.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Since the new season has started I haven't worked a single game. I only keep track of team fouls & player fouls, score, TOs left, players in the game, & AP, not violations when scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
chseagle? Just a guess.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 01:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

It gets better, I think. Just got an assignment for a 6th grade girls game tonight. 5th grade last night, 6th grade tonight - at this rate, I'll be doing WNBA games in about two weeks! Actually, I did work a scrimmage for them a few years ago.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 01:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A couple of observations about this level. Mark, see if you agree.

The last place team always has the most pleasant bunch of fans you ever see. They routinely get beaten by scores of 18-2. They rarely complain about anything, and are overjoyed when (if) their team scores two points.

The first place team is often, conversely, really nasty. Many times there are moms here getting their first taste of "My kid is at the top, and now you want to take something away from her."

"OH MY GOD!! REF, ARE YOU BLIND???"
Who said that?