The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Travel, or No?

OK, so I've confimed that this is the best place to get help to what I consider to be the difficult basketball questions... Here's another:

The "Step-Through" post move. I will do my best to describe, although it is challenging without actually seeing it. Generally you see this more often in girls basketball... Post player A1 has the ball on the right block and has already used their dribble. They are legally pivoting on their left foot. After a shot fake toward the baseline A1 pivots back toward the lane, steps with their right foot into the lane while completely lifiting their left foot off the floor. After getting to their right foot they jump and shoot the basketball.

Travel? or No travel?

According to rule 4-44-3-a: The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal. This move is legal. But it just looks terrible! In boys or college men it seems that when this move is performed the player jumps off of both feet, rather than taking a step and jumping off one foot.

Also, I noticed that traveling was also a 2009-10 NFHS Point of Empahsis, and the POE specifically stated the "step-through move" as a problem area that was giving the offensive players an unfair advantage (amongst others). However it did not elaborate further.

Thanks for all your help everyone!
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Legal. BTW, I don't think this move looks terrible.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 12:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Legal. BTW, I don't think this move looks terrible.
Me either. I have seen it *incorrectly* called a travel, though. Easy to officiate if you recognize the pivot foot right away, though.

The step through move that's a travel is when the pivot comes up, the player steps through, and brings the other foot back to the floor before going up.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 12:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's a great move; coach usually has a cow (FWIW). It's underutilized by boys in my opinion.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know what the NFHS is referring to, regarding the step-through move in their 2009-2010 Points of Empahsis. It states:

TRAVELING. The traveling rule has not changed; however, the committee is still concerned that the rule is not being properly enforced. Consequently, offensive players are gaining a tremendous advantage. Areas of specific concern are: the spin move, the step-through move, the jump stop, perimeter shooters taking an extra "hop" prior to releasing the try and ball handlers lifting the pivot foot prior to releasing the ball on the dribble.

Since it states that offensive players are gaining a tremendous advantage, and that the step-through move is an area of specific concern what exactly are they referring to?
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know what the NFHS is referring to, regarding the step-through move in their 2009-2010 Points of Empahsis. It states:

TRAVELING. The traveling rule has not changed; however, the committee is still concerned that the rule is not being properly enforced. Consequently, offensive players are gaining a tremendous advantage. Areas of specific concern are: the spin move, the step-through move, the jump stop, perimeter shooters taking an extra "hop" prior to releasing the try and ball handlers lifting the pivot foot prior to releasing the ball on the dribble.

Since it states that offensive players are gaining a tremendous advantage, and that the step-through move is an area of specific concern what exactly are they referring to?
It's when the pivot comes back down. Not to pick on one gender over another, but boys tend to travel during the step-through more than girls because the boys tend to bring the pivot back to the floor.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 12:35pm
Esteemed Participant

They are referring to a step-thru move where the offensive player lifts and then returns his/her pivot foot to the floor. In your example, A5 is pivoting on her left foot. She steps with her right foot - lifting her left (pivot) foot, then returns the left foot to the floor so she can jump off both feet. That's a travel.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

They aren't saying that the step-through move is, in-and-of-itself travelling, just as the spin move and jump stop move aren't travelling. IT's just that players often travel when trying to make that move.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

The player is allowed to lift their pivot foot, but not returned to the floor before the ball is released on a try for goal (4-44-3-a).

The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball (4-41-3).

Does this mean that the try needs to start before the pivot foot is lifted? Could there be a situation where the player does not begin their try until after this step-through move has begun/been competed? The specific play I am inquiring on almost looks like 2 seperate events, where the player steps through and then begins the try after they have stepped-through (but the original pivot foot has not touched the ground).
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 02:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Does this mean that the try needs to start before the pivot foot is lifted?
No. I'm sure you've seen a kid end the dribble and then jump and pass the ball to a teammate. If you had to start a try before lifting your pivot foot, then that "jump pass" would be a violation every time.

You can lift your pivot foot before releasing either a pass or try, as long as the ball is released before the pivot foot returns to the floor.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
No. I'm sure you've seen a kid end the dribble and then jump and pass the ball to a teammate. If you had to start a try before lifting your pivot foot, then that "jump pass" would be a violation every time.

You can lift your pivot foot before releasing either a pass or try, as long as the ball is released before the pivot foot returns to the floor.
Good point. Makes sense.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 06:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is It Because Mark Padgett Posts Here ???

Quote:
I've confirmed that this is the best place to get help to what I consider to be the difficult basketball questions.
Just exactly how did you confirm this?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)