The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Out of Bounds Throw-In Spot

New official here--a really basic question but it's not clear to me from the rules.

A1 touches the ball in his/her frontcourt and is the last to touch the ball before it goes out of bounds in the backcourt. Is B awarded the ball in A's frontcourt (where it was last touched) or in B's frontcourt (where the ball went out).

I always assumed the throw-in should be where the ball went out, but from the rules it seems that the violation may be being the last to touch it before it goes out, in which case the "spot nearest the violation" would be near where it was last touched--regardless of where it went out.

Thanks!
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 12:04pm
M.A.S.H.

Throw-in will be spot where the ball went OOB.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

The spot of an OOB violation is where the ball goes out, with one (apparent) exception. It's not where it was last touched. The violation is causing the ball to go OOB, but that does not happen until the ball is actually OOB.

The "exception" is a throw-in pass that goes out of bounds without being touched. That goes back to the spot of the throw-in. But that's really a throw-in violation (9-2-2), not an OOB violation (9-3-1), so it's not really an exception.

Hope that makes sense!
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

thanks. i always assumed that was the case but i couldn't prove it from the rules.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 01:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
thanks. i always assumed that was the case but i couldn't prove it from the rules.
NFHS rule 9-3 and 7-5-2(a) and 7-5-5.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
New official here--a really basic question but it's not clear to me from the rules.

A1 touches the ball in his/her frontcourt and is the last to touch the ball before it goes out of bounds in the backcourt. Is B awarded the ball in A's frontcourt (where it was last touched) or in B's frontcourt (where the ball went out).

I always assumed the throw-in should be where the ball went out, but from the rules it seems that the violation may be being the last to touch it before it goes out, in which case the "spot nearest the violation" would be near where it was last touched--regardless of where it went out.

Thanks!
John, had A1 commited a BC violation with his touching, then the throw-in is from the spot nearest where the touching occurred, not at the division line. Perhaps this scenario is what is confusing you with regard to the play you presented.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Mybusters Files ...

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 08:26pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

Don't go thinking that the spots indicated by the arrows in the above diagram are the ONLY spots available for a throw-in!!!
Recently had to unlearn a seasoned partner of this mishegoss
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 08:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Recently had to unlearn a seasoned partner of this mishegoss
Here we go again.....