Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 07:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Neighbor From Hell ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Schmucked.
What is the meaning of this word "schmucked" that both you, and Woody, from the NFHS Basketball Forum, have been using today? Is this some type of colloquial thing? Are you two from the same neighborhood in hell.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 08:58pm.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for Posting

Special Thanks to BillyMac for posting this listing. I plan to pass it on to some new officials that will be working youth recreation bkball, and maybe even to the coaches in the league, may be of some help to the coaches.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 10:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut, Sometimes You Don't ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdesigner View Post
Special Thanks to BillyMac for posting this listing. I plan to pass it on to some new officials that will be working youth recreation bkball, and maybe even to the coaches in the league, may be of some help to the coaches.
You may want to delete the words, "gains an advantage" from the rule regarding palming or carrying? I'm not, but I'm sure that many others will.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You may want to delete the words, "gains an advantage" from the rule regarding palming or carrying? I'm not, but I'm sure that many others will.
It depends; are you describing the rule, or the way it's enforced in your area of "Connecticut."
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 11:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Be True To Your School ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The NCHSAA took it a step further. As long as every player who is wearing such is wearing the same color, we don't give a tinker's damn what color it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
And that's how it should be.
The local high school in my town uses the school colors blue and white. Over many years the color red has somehow crept into the uniforms, usually on the piping, or numbers. Several years ago we got a new football coach. He decided to get red helmets. After the first game of the season, all the old timers in town, in the bars, and in the coffee shops, complained, and complained, and complained, about the nontraditional red helmets.

I don't work games for my local high school. I'm a retired teacher, and coach, from the school system, and I don't want there to be a perception of a conflict of interest. Plus there are sixty-nine other schools where I can peddle my wares. For sake of argument, let's say that I did work one of their games, and the players all had red headbands. The rule states that headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color. Red is not an officially recognized school color.

Now that I'm up here on my soapbox, let's say that players want to wear black wristbands and headbands to honor the recent death of a player, coach, teacher, etc. Or, to raise cancer awareness, they all want to wear pink headbands, the same week that we all use pink whistles.

I love BktBallRef's post. Why did the guys at the NFHS have to put in the word "school"?

Now could someone please help me down from this soapbox? It didn't seem this high on the way up, and the height kind of scares me.

Note to BktBallRef: Is "tinker's damn" actuaully written into the NCHSAA language?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 26, 2010 at 11:24am.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

We'll Need A Quorum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It depends; are you describing the rule, or the way it's enforced in your area of "Connecticut."
Really, really, good point. You've convinced me. Five years ago the list was originally written only for my local area. If you do an internet search you'll find that the list has expanded to all over the country, and can be found on many local association websites. In my wildest dreams I never thought that it would reach out as far as it has.

I make a motion that "gains an advantage" be officially deleted from the carrying and palming section of the most misunderstood basketball rules list.

Is there a second?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 26, 2010 at 11:25am.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I'll Second That

If we leave gain an advantage in, and it gets in the hands or mouths of coaches, we could be in trouble.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 11:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If we leave gain an advantage in, and it gets in the hands or mouths of coaches, we could be in trouble.
Quit using common sense. You'll just screw Billy up.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 11:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bang The Gavel ...

Quote:
I'll Second That.
golfdesigner has seconded the motion. As the self appointed secretary of the misunderstood basketball rules list, I will now cast one unanimous ballot accepting the motion.

It's official: Palming or carrying is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand.

Don't you just love Bobby's Rules of Order?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 26, 2010 at 11:59am.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The local high school in my town uses the school colors blue and white. Over many years the color red has somehow crept into the uniforms, usually on the piping, or numbers. Several years ago we got a new football coach. He decided to get red helmets. After the first game of the season, all the old timers in town, in the bars, and in the coffee shops, complained, and complained, and complained, about the nontraditional red helmets.

I don't work games for my local high school. I'm a retired teacher, and coach, from the school system, and I don't want there to be a perception of a conflict of interest. Plus there are sixty-nine other schools where I can peddle my wares. For sake of argument, let's say that I did work one of their games, and the players all had red headbands. The rule states that headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color. Red is not an officially recognized school color.

Now that I'm up here on my soapbox, let's say that players want to wear black wristbands and headbands to honor the recent death of a player, coach, teacher, etc. Or, to raise cancer awareness, they all want to wear pink headbands, the same week that we all use pink whistles.

I love BktBallRef's post. Why did the guys at the NFHS have to put in the word "school"?

Now could someone please help me down from this soapbox? It didn't seem this high on the way up, and the height kind of scares me.

Note to BktBallRef: Is "tinker's damn" actuaully written into the NCHSAA language?
1) I'd allow the red.

2) The phrase in "tinker's dam."

3) An exception is usually allowed for pink during designated weeks.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 06:33pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
The team of Roger Staubach, Tom Landry, and Calvin Hill? How can anybody not be a fan?
Well... the fact that I live in New England, and not Texas, plays a big role for me.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Black, And White, And Red, All Over ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd allow the red. An exception is usually allowed for pink during designated weeks.
I would also, as well as the black. It's not my job to research the history of the school to find their traditional school colors. If I'm wrong, well, then, I'm willing to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Go Bulldogs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The fact that I live in New England, and not Texas, plays a big role for me.
Calvin G. Hill: B.A. History, 1969, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, New England.

I used to go watch him play when I was in high school. We lived close enough to Yale Bowl that my friends and I could walk to, and from, the game from home, avoiding all the traffic. My mother was a Yale employee and got us discounted "cheap seats" behind the goal posts for only a few bucks. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 26, 2010 at 07:30pm.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 07:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Calvin G. Hill: B.A. History, 1969, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, New England.

I used to go watch him play when I was in high school. We lived close enough to Yale Bowl that my friends and I could walk to, and from, the game from home, avoiding all the traffic. My mother was a Yale employee and got us discounted "cheap seats" behind the goal posts for only a few bucks. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Live in the past much?
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 07:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How I Loved To Play Survivor In The Family Bomb Shelter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Live in the past much?
Yes indeed. I love to reminisce about my youth. It was a much simpler time. Oh the wonderful memories: The Six Days War; Berlin Wall; Watergate; Bay of Pigs; Cuban missile crisis; JFK, Malcolm X, Robert F. Kennedy, and MLK Jr. assassinated; Vietnam War; Racial bigotry; Fallout shelters.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 26, 2010 at 07:55pm.