Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 09:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Of "Those Guys" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I have no problem with enforcement of this rule. By the time the kids around here hit high school, they're all complying.
How do you, and your association colleagues, accomplish this daunting task? I talk to to varsity kids during warmups about illegal equipment and they look at me like I'm from Mars and I've got three eyes. I've got kids, and coaches, telling me in January, "How come? All the other officials that we've had this year have allowed Poindexter to wear his lucky, yellow, and pink, polka dotted, headband". This always makes me feel like I'm one of "those guys" and I don't want to be like one of "those guys". I screwed up and made one of "those guys" calls a few years ago, and I've never lived it down.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 09:46pm.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 10:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

For one, if Poindexter's friends/coaches tried telling me that, I'd know they were lying. They don't try. Every time I have to say anything (arm bands, ipod, earrings) in warm-ups, I get the same response. "Oh yeah, sorry." And it's a legitimate "sorry," as you can see in their face they just forgot.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 10:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Fashion Police Needed Here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Every time I have to say anything (arm bands, ipod, earrings) in warm-ups, I get the same response. "Oh yeah, sorry." And it's a legitimate "sorry," as you can see in their face they just forgot.
Sounds like you guys really got your act together. It's amazing how easy this can be when everybody's on the same page. Keep up the good work.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 10:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds like you guys really got your act together. It's amazing how easy this can be when everybody's on the same page. Keep up the good work.
That's a lot of it, it can't be a one-man crusade. The whole association has to be on board.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Billy....
Thanks for your post. Starting my 3rd year and taking my local board's test for certification next week. In addition to studying my rule and case book and doing practice tests, your list of misunderstood rules has helped solidify in my mind the concepts and rationale of so many basic rules. For example what wrote about traveling and dribbling has already made reading and understanding sample test questions that ask "is this a travel? or is this a double dribble"? not only easier to answer correctly, but to answer confidently.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

"Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand"

Is it OK for the point guard to palm his way down the court if no-one is around him?
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
"Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand"

Is it OK for the point guard to palm his way down the court if no-one is around him?
Good catch. The words "gains an advantage" should be removed. Advantage/disadvantage doesn't apply to violations.

Billy should know that.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 03:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The intent and purpose of the rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Advantage/disadvantage doesn't apply to violations. Billy should know that.
Jurassic Referee: Please, let's not go through this again. We tried to hash this out several years ago with no agreement, or even an agreement to disagree, between us. Long story short, if anyone here calls a three second violation every single time that an offensive player, sans exceptions, spends exactly 3.01 seconds in the lane, then they are certainly "one of those guys". Jurassic Referee: From reading your posts here, and on other forums, for several years, I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are certainly not "one of those guys".

From the NFHS Rulebook: It is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player or a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule.

Some rules involve fouls. Some rules involve violations.

If anyone here calls a ten second violation every single time that a free throw shooter takes exactly 10.01 seconds before shooting a free throw, then they, again, are certainly "one of those guys".

Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 04:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Gains An Advantage", Or Not ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
"Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand."
Actually, I have given some thought, actually, much thought, thanks to Jurassic Referee, to removing the "gains an advantage" part of this misunderstood rule.

A1, dribbling in the backcourt, all by himself, no defender, looks to his coach for a play. While doing so, paying close attention to his coach, he absentmindedly, and accidentally, allows the ball to rest for a fraction of a second on the little finger of his dribbling hand, for one dribble, and then continues dribbling "normally". I probably won't call a violation here.

A1, dribbling in the backcourt, closely defended by B1, allows the ball to rest for a fraction of a second on his dribbling hand during a hesitation move, and in doing so, is able to gain an advantage and dribble past defender B1. I've got a violation here every time.

Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 04:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
A1, dribbling in the backcourt, all by himself, no defender, looks to his coach for a play. While doing so, paying close attention to his coach, he absentmindedly, and accidentally, allows the ball to rest for a fraction of a second on the little finger of his dribbling hand, for one dribble, and then continues dribbling "normally". I probably won't call a violation here.
What if the ball was touched with both hands while the dribbler was looking at the coach? What if the dribbler actually grabbed the ball with both hands and then dribbled again? Do you think it's also OK to pick and choose the degree to which a rule has been violated and just call some of the illegal second-dribble violations? The ones that you feel like calling?

And using the same logic, you wouldn't call a violation if the same player stepped on a boundary line in the backcourt while he's not under any pressure either, right? You do believe in consistency, right? Or do you pick and choose what violations that you think should be called under some mystical system known only to yourself?

I ain't gonna argue with you, Billy. That is why personally I don't take your most mis-understood rules too seriously though.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 04:33pm.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 04:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough Questions, Tough Answers ...

Quote:
What if the ball was touched with both hands while the dribbler was looking at the coach?
Violation.

Quote:
What if the dribbler actually grabbed the ball with both hands and then dribbled again?
Violation.

Quote:
Do you think it's also OK to pick and choose the degree to which a rule has been violated and just call some of the illegal second-dribble violations?
Yes, as long as I, and others on my local board, have been taught to be consistent with such calls as individual officials (within the game, and from game to game), and with each other.

Quote:
And using the same logic, you wouldn't call a violation if the same player stepped on a boundary line in the backcourt while he's not under any pressure either, right?
Violation. I call boundary lines by the book, as I've been taught, and as all officials on our local board, have been taught.

Quote:
You do believe in consistency, right? Or do you pick and choose what violations that you think should be called under some mystical system known only to yourself?
They are not known only to me, but are taught, and understood by all competent officials on my local board.

Now, Jurassic Referee, after you have had your second helping of apple pie, would you please sit down tell us an after dinner story about the Pilgrims and the Indians, after which could you please follow up with a story about how you personally might bend some rules to account for advantage and disadvantage in calling three second lane violations and ten second free throw violations. Just exactly how do you decide to call these? Are there black areas, white areas, and gray areas, to these rules? "Do you think it's OK to pick and choose the degree to which a rule has been violated?" "You do believe in consistency, right? Or do you pick and choose what violations that you think should be called under some mystical system known only to yourself?"

Oh, and by the way, Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 05:07pm.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 05:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Now, Jurassic Referee, after you have had your second helping of apple pie, would you please sit down tell us an after dinner story about the Pilgrims and the Indians, after which could you please follow up with a story about how you personally might bend some rules to account for advantage and disadvantage in calling three second lane violations and ten second free throw violations. Just exactly how do you decide to call these? Are there black areas, white areas, and gray areas, to these rules? "Do you think it's OK to pick and choose the degree to which a rule has been violated?" "You do believe in consistency, right? Or do you pick and choose what violations that you think should be called under some mystical system known only to yourself?"
Naw, I try to follow what to the best of my knowledge is standard practice. And it's almost universally accepted afaik that we should use some advantage/disadvantage on 3-seconds and 10-seconds for a FT shooter. It isn't universally accepted though to the best of my knowledge, at least in my little section of hell plus surrounding sections, that we should treat other violations like palming, traveling, etc. the same way. To say some illegal second-dribbles are OK in the back court with no pressure while other illegal second dribbles(also with no pressure in the back court) should be called makes zero sense to me.

And imo that's why what we do is an art as well as a science, with the rato of art to science varying game-to-game depending on circumstances IN any particular game.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Billy. It's always a great holiday when the Dallas Cowboys are getting their l'il ol' butts schmucked.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 07:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jurassic Mindreader ???

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Billy. It's always a great holiday when the Dallas Cowboys are getting their l'il ol' butts schmucked.
Now how in the world did you know that I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan? And now you want to ruin my holiday by yanking my chain? The team of Roger Staubach, Tom Landry, and Calvin Hill? How can anybody not be a fan?

Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 07:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Tristate Area Of Hell ...

Quote:
It isn't universally accepted though to the best of my knowledge, at least in my little section of hell plus surrounding sections, that we should treat other violations like palming, traveling, etc. the same way. That's why what we do is an art as well as a science, with the ratio of art to science varying game-to-game depending on circumstances in any particular game.
Sounds reasonable to me. A reasonable, thoughtful, kind, reflective, benevolent Jurassic Referee? Man, that tryptophan must have really kicked in?

Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 07:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The team of Jerry Jones? How can anybody not be a fan?
Upon further review.......