The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in question. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59817-throw-question.html)

KenThree Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:36am

Throw-in question.

After a successful field goal by Team A and clock running, B1 takes the ball out for a throw-in. B1 holds the ball preparing and the new trail begins a count.

B2 then tells B1 to "leave the ball alone" as Coach B and B1's teammates do not want him inbounding the ball against the press defense. B1 drops/passes the ball in the direction of B2, who is moving from inbounds to out of bounds to make the throw in. As B2 moves out of bounds, the ball bounces three times on the floor. Twice OOB and once inbounds on the final bounce before B2 who is now OOB picks it up.

What do you have?

mbyron Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:38am

OOB violation by B2.

Mark Padgett Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:44pm

NF rules - if the ball had not hit inbound prior to B2 grabbing it, there's no violation as long as B2 then throws the ball towards the court before the five second count ends. This would not be the case on a spot throw-in.

Adam Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 702335)
OOB violation by B2.

I've got a throwin violation by B1. Failure to make a throwin pass directly onto the court.

bob jenkins Sun Nov 21, 2010 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaqwells (Post 702361)
i've got a throwin violation by b1. Failure to make a throwin pass directly onto the court.

+1

bainsey Sun Nov 21, 2010 05:13pm

Agreed. You may want to tell B1 and/or B2 that may work in soccer, but not basketball.

CMHCoachNRef Sun Nov 21, 2010 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 702361)
I've got a throwin violation by B1. Failure to make a throwin pass directly onto the court.

After a made basket, he COULD have been passing to B2 (out of bounds). In this case, B1 does NOT have to pass the ball directly into the court -- he can pass to another teammate who is out of bounds. So long as the ball remains out of bounds, it could be a poorly thrown bounce pass. Once it made its way onto the court (and was carried out by B2), the violation occurred.

At least that is my read on the situation.

just another ref Sun Nov 21, 2010 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 702461)
After a made basket, he COULD have been passing to B2 (out of bounds). In this case, B1 does NOT have to pass the ball directly into the court -- he can pass to another teammate who is out of bounds. So long as the ball remains out of bounds, it could be a poorly thrown bounce pass. Once it made its way onto the court (and was carried out by B2), the violation occurred.

He could have been, but he wasn't. Since the pass entered the court, it became a throw-in pass. Since it was not directly onto the the court, it was a violation.

Adam Sun Nov 21, 2010 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 702461)

Yep, and if the ball had only bounced in the OOB area, it would be ok, but as jar states, once it bounced in bounds, it became an illegal throwin pass.

CMHCoachNRef Mon Nov 22, 2010 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 702462)
He could have been, but he wasn't. Since the pass entered the court, it became a throw-in pass. Since it was not directly onto the the court, it was a violation.

Not arguing the violation -- merely pointing out that in the case of a throw-in situation after a made goal, the initial throw-in pass does not have to go directly into the court -- unlike other throw-ins.

Scrapper1 Mon Nov 22, 2010 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 702483)
Not arguing the violation -- merely pointing out that in the case of a throw-in situation after a made goal, the initial throw-in pass does not have to go directly into the court -- unlike other throw-ins.

This is just incorrect. There is only one throw-in pass. There's not an "initial" throw-in pass and then another one that goes onto the court.

A pass between teammates who are both out of bounds after a made or awarded basket is NOT a throw-in pass. The throw-in pass is the pass that is intended to go to a player on the playing court.

Johnny Ringo Tue Nov 23, 2010 01:18am

After a made basket:

Can A1 make a bounce pass that strikes the floor OOB to A2. A2 w Aill then make the throw in. A2 was coming OOB to complete the throw-in play.

Can A1 make a throw-in pass that strikes the the floor OOB to a player inbounds?

At what point can B2 legally touch the ball when A1 has released it?

justacoach Tue Nov 23, 2010 02:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 702697)
After a made basket:

Can A1 make a bounce pass that strikes the floor OOB to A2. A2 w Aill then make the throw in. A2 was coming OOB to complete the throw-in play.

Can A1 make a throw-in pass that strikes the the floor OOB to a player inbounds?

At what point can B2 legally touch the ball when A1 has released it?

My 16 yo son is leading instruction of a novice officiating class as a community service project. I'll comp you the entry fee and throw in a 3 pack of Fed Basketball publications as added inducement, in your choice of Standard or Remedial English.
You really should consider it, he covers those dastardly perplexing throw-in issues in the first half hour of class. Honestly, we're just across the bridge and you're sure to be pleased...:confused::confused:

PM me for details, be sure to mention promo code ID-10-T for your special offer

mbyron Tue Nov 23, 2010 06:42am

Several scenarios here:

1. Pass bounces OOB, A2 steps OOB before touching pass, completes throw-in before 5-second count elapses: legal.

2. Pass bounces OOB, A2 still has a foot inbounds when touching pass: throw-in violation.

3. Pass bounces OOB, A2 is in the air, having last touched inbounds, when touching pass: throw-in violation.

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 23, 2010 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 702697)
After a made basket:

1) Can A1 make a bounce pass that strikes the floor OOB to A2. A2 w Aill then make the throw in. A2 was coming OOB to complete the throw-in play.

2) Can A1 make a throw-in pass that strikes the the floor OOB to a player inbounds?

3) At what point can B2 legally touch the ball when A1 has released it?

1) Legal pass. Not a throw-in pass.

2) illegal as per NFHS rule 9-2-2 and case book play 9.2.2SitA(a)

3) legal to touch as soon as the thrower has released the throw-in, as per NFHS rule 9-2-10