The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Out of Bounds

A1 is holding the ball and touches the ref who is out of bounds. A1 is holding the ball and touches B5 who is out of bounds. When did A1 make the ball go out of bounds ?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 10:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

If A1 touches the player or the ref, then the ball is not out of bounds. If A1 touches the BALL to a player or the ref, then that is when the ball is out of bounds.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I was thinking that the official is part of where he stands and A would cause the ball to go out of bounds, but the B player when touched with the ball would have caused the ball to go out of bounds. These both happen when A is holding the ball and touching them?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 10:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

I already gave you the answer. A player who touches a person out of bounds does not make you out of bounds. The ball touching anything out of bounds does make it out of bounds.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

So if A1 deflects a pass from B2 and touches B5 who is out of bounds, the ball will be given to Team B?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
So if A1 deflects a pass from B2 and touches B5 who is out of bounds, the ball will be given to Team B?
The important question here is what/who did the ball touch, and where was that person standing.

This prevents, for example, a sub sitting at the table from being able to reach and touch an opponent with the ball and causing that opponent to commit an OOB violation.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 11:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Rule 7-1 is your reference here:
Quote:
a player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player/person, on our outside the boundary.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 12:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
A1 is holding the ball and touches the ref who is out of bounds. A1 is holding the ball and touches B5 who is out of bounds. When did A1 make the ball go out of bounds ?
Read case book play 7.1.1SitA.

Most questions can be answered with a quick look at either the rule book or case book.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 01:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Colored Memories Of The Way We Were ...

A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player/person, on our outside the boundary.

I believe that the "other than a player/person" exception was added recently, and by recently I mean within the last twenty years, or so. When I first started thirty years ago, I believe that it was an out of bounds violation for a player inbounds to touch an official, or coach, or fan, who was standing out of bounds. But that was a long time ago and I wouldn't bet my house on it. Maybe Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be along shortly to confirm, or deny, this.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 02:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player/person, on our outside the boundary.

I believe that the "other than a player/person" exception was added recently, and by recently I mean within the last twenty years, or so. When I first started thirty years ago, I believe that it was an out of bounds violation for a player inbounds to touch an official, or coach, or fan, who was standing out of bounds. But that was a long time ago and I wouldn't bet my house on it. Maybe Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be along shortly to confirm, or deny, this.
That depends on how much time he needs to spend in his attic.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
That depends on how much time he needs to spend in his attic.
Not long. It was an un-announced rule change in the 2007-08 rulebook and we discussed it here at that time.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Not long. It was an un-announced rule change in the 2007-08 rulebook and we discussed it here at that time.
Yep, my understanding is it was intended to bring the wording more in line with the intent.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

This might refresh your memory.

Plyer Out-Of-Bounds
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 06:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Are We, Mind Readers ???

Quote:
This might refresh your memory.Plyer Out-Of-Bounds
Quote:
An un-freaking-announced change! No notice-no reference posted anywhere that I know of. Just throw it in the case book and see if anybody might happen to notice it. Lah me.
Quote:
What I don't like is that the NFHS put in a new, fairly major interpretation, and then didn't bother to point it out to us. It's not listed in the front of the book(s) or on their site anywhere either, as far as I know. If I hadn't have noticed it surfing the case book, I would have answered it the same as you did. Not the first time that the FED has done this either.
Agree. I hate it when they do that. When the NFHS makes a new rule, or a rule change, or a new interpretation, then they should list it in their April press release, and in the NFHS rulebook, as a rule change or as an editorial change, with all the other rule changes or editorial changes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 11:51am.