The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   10 second count girls high school? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59789-10-second-count-girls-high-school.html)

mikeb Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:31am

10 second count girls high school?

Why in college is there not a 10 second count for girls. But in the National Federation there is for girls basketball?

Adam Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeb (Post 701994)
Why in college is there not a 10 second count for girls. But in the National Federation there is for girls basketball?

Because the folks that run the NCAAW don't think there's a need for it; but the folks writing the rules for the NFHS think there is a need.

It's that simple.

Why is the interstate speed limit in Colorado 75 mph, but in Iowa it's 70 mph?

Why are Illinois troopers called "Illinois State Police" while in Colorado their called "Colorado State Patrol" and in Montana it's "Montana Highway Patrol?"

PG_Ref Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:40am

In college, they use a shot clock. In high school, most states (to my knowledge) don't use a shot clock and therefore have a 10 second backcourt count. In states where the girls do use a shot clock, there isn't a 10 second backcourt count.

Adam Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 701996)
In college, they use a shot clock. In high school, most states (to my knowledge) don't use a shot clock and therefore have a 10 second backcourt count. In states where the girls do use a shot clock, there isn't a 10 second backcourt count.

Is this true for all states with a shot clock? Is it true only on the girls' side?

Judtech Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:03pm

I don't know if they use a shot clock or 10 second count in college girls basketball. However, I know in college WOMEN'S basketball there is a 30 second shot clock, no ten second back court count and no 5 second closely guarded count while a player is dribbling.

bainsey Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:07pm

The research I did found seven states that have a shot clock for high school girls' basketball: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, North Dakota, California, Maryland, and Oregon. (The last two don't have a shot clock for the boys.)

The mentality of NCAA women's basketball is that if there's a 30-second shot clock, there doesn't need to be a ten-second limit on the ball in the backcourt. My question for officials in those aformentioned states, do you have a ten-second rule for the backcourt?

Adam Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19pm

You're missing at least one state that has shot clock for girls (they also have it for boys).

Also, I believe New York uses NCAAW rules for their girls basketball programs.

caliref Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:24pm

In California, we have 30 sec. shot clock for girls. No 10 second back court. 5 second closely guarded while not dribbling anywhere on the court. So, just like NCAAW in that respect.

Boys have 35 sec shot clock 10 second back court and 5 seconds closely guarded dribble or no only in front court.

PG_Ref Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:30pm

In MD, we use the 30 sec shot clock for girls. There's no 10 sec backcourt count and a closely guarded count only in the front court. If a school's shot clock is inoperable, then we have 10 sec backcourt count.

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:54pm

We've had a discussion before on why there are 10 and 5 second counts in games that use a shot clock. The two main theories seem to be that if the concept of having the counts is to prevent a team from stalling and to "force" offensive play, then having a shot clock and counts is redundant. The other theory is that the purpose of the counts is to reward "tight" defense.

Personally, I feel you don't need counts if you have the shot clock. To me, that's redundant.

rockyroad Fri Nov 19, 2010 01:48pm

Washington State has a 30 sec. shot clock for Girls, and 35 sec. for Boys. We have no 10 sec. count for Girls, but do have 10 sec. count for Boys.

Why? No idea...don't really care about the why.

When did Oregon start using a shot clock?

David M Fri Nov 19, 2010 02:21pm

In Massachusetts both boys and girls have a 30 second shot clock. No 10 violation for girls but there is for boys. No 5 second count in backcourt for either.

bainsey Fri Nov 19, 2010 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 702021)
When did Oregon start using a shot clock?

It's possible that I may have mixed up Oregon and Washington, Rock.

I believe what I read was that Maryland and Oregon had the shot clock for girls only. Was that ever the situation in Washington?

26 Year Gap Fri Nov 19, 2010 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 702015)
We've had a discussion before on why there are 10 and 5 second counts in games that use a shot clock. The two main theories seem to be that if the concept of having the counts is to prevent a team from stalling and to "force" offensive play, then having a shot clock and counts is redundant. The other theory is that the purpose of the counts is to reward "tight" defense.

Personally, I feel you don't need counts if you have the shot clock. To me, that's redundant.

Let's say the offensive team has a small 4 or 5 point lead with 35 seconds left. Shouldn't a tight defense be rewarded in such a situation if they can preserve time on the clock to try to close the gap in score?

chseagle Fri Nov 19, 2010 06:44pm

WIAA: Men have 35 sec. shot clock with 10 sec. backcourt. Women have a 30 sec. shot clock with no BC count.

I'm still curious as to why men have a longer shot clock than Women.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 701996)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 701998)
Is this true for all states with a shot clock? Is it true only on the girls' side?