Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 04:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
OK,it's football, not basketball, but how about other teams faking defensive injuries on coach's orders to slow down the offense of the Oregon Ducks? There's videos all over the net. And, according to NCAA football rules, there's no penalty for it.

Seems like that scenario was named after the title of this thread.
So you have proof that the coaches are teaching their players to fake injuries, as opposed to players being tired and taking an extra moment to catch their breath?
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I was doing a sophomore boys Christmas tournament years ago and called a a block with both shooter and offender on floor. I lost my number when reporting and asked partner who it was and he wasn't sure. I firmly asked who committed the foul, the player I suspected gave me a smug look when asked and nobody fessed up. Finally, one of his teammates disgusted by his bad sportsmanship gave him up "it was him" as he pointed him out. Time lapse, all of about 15 seconds.

Both my partner and I then initiated the 'indentify the troublemaker' and he was on the bench shortly after with a few more legitimate calls.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 05:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So you have proof that the coaches are teaching their players to fake injuries, as opposed to players being tired and taking an extra moment to catch their breath?
So a guy is walking around after the play, then takes a few steps toward his bench, gets a signal from his coach and then drops down holding his ankle. Judge Judy would tell him "Liar, liar, pants on fire". Just watch the videos on youtube and tell me they're not faking it. Some things are so obvious they must be true. The Pac10 said they can't do anything about it, not because it didn't happen, but because there's no penalty for it under the rules.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 05:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So a guy is walking around after the play, then takes a few steps toward his bench, gets a signal from his coach and then drops down holding his ankle. Judge Judy would tell him "Liar, liar, pants on fire". Just watch the videos on youtube and tell me they're not faking it. Some things are so obvious they must be true. The Pac10 said they can't do anything about it, not because it didn't happen, but because there's no penalty for it under the rules.
Just watched the video, didn't see any signals from the coach.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 06:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
OK,it's football, not basketball, but how about other teams faking defensive injuries on coach's orders to slow down the offense of the Oregon Ducks? There's videos all over the net. And, according to NCAA football rules, there's no penalty for it.

Seems like that scenario was named after the title of this thread.
Football is the same as basketball. If a player goes down injured, they have to leave the game. There's rules in both sports fully covering the officials' duties in situations like that. And because the officials in both sports aren't doctors, we sureashell aren't qualified to judge whether a player is injured or faking it either. We let the people at the contest responsible for that duty do their job.

I'd never dream of accusing a player on the floor in a basketball game or on the field in a football game of faking an injury, no matter what I personally thought. And I've done football a few months longer than basketball. Any college official who tried to pull something like that would be back doing Saturday morning kiddie football in one heckuva hurry.

Little advice for any official....do NOT play God.

JMO
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So a guy is walking around after the play, then takes a few steps toward his bench, gets a signal from his coach and then drops down holding his ankle.
One video I saw they were playing Arizona State announcer said the temperature was over 100º. It is normal for a player to be walking around after the down and appear fine then get a crap and fall over.

Another video they were playing California. The down ends and a California player appears to be in pain and is bending over. He then looks towards the sideline and falls down. The TV announcer says something like it looks like he was struggling and the sideline told him if you're hurt just go down. Conviently if you watch the ESPN clip they only start the video when he is already looking at the sideline.

Quote:
Judge Judy would tell him "Liar, liar, pants on fire".
I can't believe a judge, even a fake TV judge, would say something like that but the player would end up winning the case.

Quote:
Just watch the videos on youtube and tell me they're not faking it. Some things are so obvious they must be true. The Pac10 said they can't do anything about it, not because it didn't happen, but because there's no penalty for it under the rules.
This is just stupid. Did you copy that whole paragraph off of some fan site talking about how the officials were cheating?
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 09:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And because the officials in both sports aren't doctors, we sureashell aren't qualified to judge whether a player is injured or faking it either.
Agree 100%. I was listening to a sports talk show that I really like, but today one of the guests said that it was the officials' fault that the players were getting away with the tactic. And my only thought was to wonder how in the world would the officials know whether or not these hulking human beings are actually injured?????

If they look injured, I treat them as if they really are injured. Unless I hear the coach say, "Ok, Jimmy, NOW. Fake an injury!!", there's nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
It is normal for a player to be walking around after the down and appear fine then get a crap and fall over.
I hate it when that happens.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 10:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
This is just stupid. Did you copy that whole paragraph off of some fan site talking about how the officials were cheating?
Stupid? Did I ever say or imply that the officials were cheating? Do you think I look at fan sites? If you think I did either one of those things, then you're stupid. When you get even 1/100th of the number of posts I have here, then you can make statements like that.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 10:58pm.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the officials are cheating in any way and I don't think they can do much about it. With that said, it looks pretty obvious that Arizona State was doing it on purpose.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 11:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Stupid? Did I ever say or imply that the officials were cheating? Do you think I look at fan sites? If you think I did either one of those things, then you're stupid. When you get even 1/100th of the number of posts I have here, then you can make statements like that.
He didn't say you thought they were cheating; he was making an accusation against the website you seem to have got your info from.
And frankly, the number of posts isn't relevant here.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He didn't say you thought they were cheating; he was making an accusation against the website you seem to have got your info from.
And frankly, the number of posts isn't relevant here.
Actually, it is relevant, Adam. The guy's a prick and has been since he got here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 12:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Actually, it is relevant, Adam. The guy's a prick and has been since he got here.
Fair enough, I guess I wasn't paying much attention to who the other guy was.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 12:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think Mark overreacted to the comments. I think the comments were fair. then again it is just an opinion. Some people need to just relax.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep, what you said was stupid. It was just so obvious it must be true hahaha It seemd like this was the type crazy things you would find on some fan site but I guess you just came up with that on your own. Face it, this isn't even close to being obvious. You are being biased because you live near the school. And it sure is easy to have a lot of posts when the vast majority of them are off topc pictures and corny jokes.

Quote:
Don't listen to him. He just doesn't like me because I pointed out that something he wrote regarding the NFL replay system was incorrect. He tried to change his argument instead of admitting he was wrong. I guess he doesn't forget things like that. But in another discussion on the basketball board I was standing up for him but hey, that doesn't really matter.

Pittsburg/Miami Fumble
in-game signals between officials
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yes, but he still continues to post mostly off-topic stuff.

Oh -- you meant the other guy.

Yeah -- him too.
Closed Thread