The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59764-backcourt-violation.html)

Seddy Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:09am

Backcourt violation?

Team A is bringing up the ball in their backcourt. A1 makes a pass to A2. A2 jumps from the frontcourt, catches the ball in the air, and lands in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seddy (Post 701534)
Team A is bringing up the ball in their backcourt. A1 makes a pass to A2. A2 jumps from the frontcourt, catches the ball in the air, and lands in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?

Yes.

Team control.
Front court status when caught.
Last to touch before going into backcourt.
First to touch after going into backcourt.

Tweet!

Adam Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:44am

Quote:

Why wouldn't it be?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 701547)
Why wouldn't it be?

I'm sure some would mistakenly argue that (a) the "three-points" exception applies and / or (b) the "player in the air" exception applies.

mj Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:27am

You are where you were until you get where your going...

mbyron Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 701567)
You are where you were <s>until</s> till you get where you're going...

Fixed it for you (more consistent anapest). ;)

SamIAm Wed Nov 17, 2010 01:40pm

Quote:

Using the situation above, if a2 taps the ball and it bounces then you would use the 3 points logic. Is that correct?

Camron Rust Wed Nov 17, 2010 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 701606)
Using the situation above, if a2 taps the ball and it bounces then you would use the 3 points logic. Is that correct?

No. The 3-points applies DURING a dribble, not to start a dribble. The tap gives the ball FC status.

SamIAm Thu Nov 18, 2010 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 701608)
No. The 3-points applies DURING a dribble, not to start a dribble. The tap gives the ball FC status.

The violation does not happen on the touch, it happens when the ball then touches the backcourt. If the ball was tapped then it was during a dribble.

I don't have a rule book handy, but isn't dribbling pushing or tapping the ball to the floor.

Scrapper1 Thu Nov 18, 2010 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 701698)
The violation does not happen on the touch, it happens when the ball then touches the backcourt.

Sam, the backcourt violation NEVER occurs when the ball touches the backcourt; this is because the violation is not for causing the ball to go into the backcourt.

The violation is for being the first to touch the ball after it has been in the backcourt. If nobody from the team ever touches the ball after it has been in the backcourt, then there is no violation.

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 18, 2010 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 701700)
If nobody from the team ever touches the ball after it has been in the backcourt, then there is no violation.

No backcourt violation but you could still have a 10-second violation.

You know that; others might not.

mj Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 701711)
No backcourt violation but you could still have a 10-second violation.

You know that; others might not.

Yes that is true but I have never seen anyone start the count when the ball goes into the backcourt. Most start it when a player gains control.

mbyron Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 701717)
Yes that is true but I have never seen anyone start the count when the ball goes into the backcourt. Most start it when a player gains control.

Then you have seen it handled incorrectly. The count starts when there is team control and the ball is in the backcourt.

Rule 9-8: "A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball
which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds."

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 701717)

Then most don't know the rule.

SamIAm Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 701700)
Sam, the backcourt violation NEVER occurs when the ball touches the backcourt; this is because the violation is not for causing the ball to go into the backcourt.

The violation is for being the first to touch the ball after it has been in the backcourt. If nobody from the team ever touches the ball after it has been in the backcourt, then there is no violation.

Of course you are correct Scrapper1. I got caught up in my own details. My real question is whether or not you use the 3 points logic. After giving it another trip through the SamIAm logic machine, I agree with and understand Camron Rust's post concerning the ball attaining FC status.