The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 12:54pm
M.A.S.H.

When I came to the board back in 2004, mick was someone I always turned to when needing help with an interp or situation. He told me to contact him anytime either through the board or e-mail.

We sent each other messages off and on and he checked up on me every now and then just to see how my season was going and the progress of my young career.

Rest in peace, mick. You will be missed!
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Here's what I wrote elsewhere:
Mick was a moderator for an officiating board that I’ve participated in now for almost eight years. You might be surprised to know the passions that can flare between referees when discussing the intricacies of a backcourt violation, a pick-off move to 2nd base, or the newest offensive formation. In the middle of that, mick was an arbiter of arbiters; keeping a level head and reminding us when we crossed a line. He was a good friend; always willing to offer his insights and knowledge.

One of the weird things about the way the internet has evolved is just how close we can get to people we’ve never met face to face. It’s an amazing phenomenon, and I have dozens of people whom I consider close friends that I’ve only seen in text and digital pictures. There are a few more whom I’ve only met once or twice, yet their influence on me has been profoundly positive and positively profound. Life in the 21st century is vastly different than even at the end of the 20th.

With this comes a fairly new experience; experiencing the loss of friends we’ve never actually seen face to face. That such a loss could shake me this much is a testament to the power of the internet and, even more so, the nature of the man. I’ve been involved in social interaction on the internet for 13 years now, and mick is the first such friend of mine who has died in all that time.

Rest in His Peace, Mick Chambers, the final horn has sounded. Knock back a cold one for the rest of us.
Well said, Adam. You captured the uniqueness of the relationships that many of us here have developed with each other. It truly is remarkable.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
When I came to the board back in 2004, mick was someone I always turned to when needing help with an interp or situation. He told me to contact him anytime either through the board or e-mail.

We sent each other messages off and on and he checked up on me every now and then just to see how my season was going and the progress of my young career.

Rest in peace, mick. You will be missed!
That's the way mick was. I bet everyone here who had the same relationship with him, felt the same way....that he was their best online friend. I'll bet he had more best friends that we can imagine. What a testament!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 02:48am
We don't rent pigs

Years ago, I posted an off topic rant about, of all things, our local baseball league's ridiculous policy about all star uniforms. The thread ended with my exchange with mick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Justa,
Although I disagree with the board, I think you did fine.
You took one for the team.
Attaboy!
mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
No matter how old you may get, there is still nothing like a pat on the head from someone whose opinion you respect. Your statement of approval brings a tear to my eye.

Thanks, Mick
With all due respect to everyone else here, it is difficult to imagine making the above post to anyone else.

The tear has returned.

bye, mick

Lonesome Dove