The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 05:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Delay of Game Situation

I had a situation come up during a varsity scrimmage that I'd like to run by the collective wisdom of the forum.

Two fast breaking teams with about two minutes left in the period, score is not all that close. A15 goes up for a successful lay up and on the way down, puts up his hand which the ball deflects off of and squirts away down the end line a few feet.

In my judgment, A15 did this as a reaction to keep the ball from hitting him in the face and did not intentionally interfere with the ball. Based upon the reaction of the defense, I don't think it interefered with a fast break opportunity either.

The head coach for the defense was incensed and did not care for my explanation after the the period had ended. He wanted to the delay of game called and said it did not matter if the player was protecting himself or not.

What do you all think? Does he have a valid argument? Do you make any allowance for a player protecting himself in a situation like that?

Incidentally, a three hour scrimmage with three teams and only two officials is not a lot of fun but we got a lot of reps in.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 05:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't call this, but local listings may be different. The rule doesn't say it has to be intentional, but that's generally how I've seen it called. At most, an apparently accidental event like yours would result in a quick word with the offender.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I had a situation come up during a varsity scrimmage that I'd like to run by the collective wisdom of the forum.

Two fast breaking teams with about two minutes left in the period, score is not all that close. A15 goes up for a successful lay up and on the way down, puts up his hand which the ball deflects off of and squirts away down the end line a few feet.

In my judgment, A15 did this as a reaction to keep the ball from hitting him in the face and did not intentionally interfere with the ball. Based upon the reaction of the defense, I don't think it interefered with a fast break opportunity either.

The head coach for the defense was incensed and did not care for my explanation after the the period had ended. He wanted to the delay of game called and said it did not matter if the player was protecting himself or not.

What do you all think? Does he have a valid argument? Do you make any allowance for a player protecting himself in a situation like that?

Incidentally, a three hour scrimmage with three teams and only two officials is not a lot of fun but we got a lot of reps in.
If you judged it incidental then a no call is right in my opinion. Now if out of taunting or showing off for his great layup his smacks/taps the ball and it delays the defense from the throw-in then we have another story, again in my opinion.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

The head coach may be incensed, but he's not got a leg to stand on. If the game is not delayed, it is not proper to "call' delay of game. Move on, citizens; nothing to see here.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 05:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
If you judged it incidental then a no call is right in my opinion. Now if out of taunting or showing off for his great layup his smacks/taps the ball and it delays the defense from the throw-in then we have another story, again in my opinion.
Did you mean "accidental?"
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Did you mean "accidental?"
I think he means incidental. The player purposely contacted the ball, but his (judged) intent was to protect himself. So...not accidental, but incidental.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Nov 15, 2010 at 07:28pm. Reason: To remove the stupidity from my post
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I think he means incidental. The player purposely contacted the ball, but his (judged) intent was to protect himself. So...not accidental, but incidental.

However, accidental or incidental, if it causes a delay it needs to be addressed. That may be a delay warning, or just a stern word.
I do not agree.

Delay of game infractions are not meant to be applied to cases where the ball drops thorugh the net and ricochets off a player who had no intent to deflect it away from being ready to play. If a ball comes through an bounces off of a player who either didn't see it coming or was only protecting it from hitting them in the face (or similar), it should not be a violation.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

You are right.

I figure I'm allowed one dumb post per day. And this one would be it for today.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 07:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Just to add to what Camron wrote, I consider "reflexive" to be, for purposes of this rule, to be accidental.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Just to add to what Camron wrote, I consider "reflexive" to be, for purposes of this rule, to be accidental.
And do you consider "incidental" and "accidental" touching of the ball to have different implications as regards the delay rule?
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 08:13pm
In Memoriam

It's a straight judgment call, Welpe, as to whether the shooter interfered with the ball to gain an advantage. Don't second-guess your judgment on the play. And the coach does deserve an explanation. What he doesn't deserve though is an explanation that he has to like or agree with.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 08:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And do you consider "incidental" and "accidental" touching of the ball to have different implications as regards the delay rule?
To me: incidental = no advantage

So while the implications are very close, they aren't identical. If there are repeated accidental hits that have an effect, I'll have a word with the offender about avoiding the ball.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:13am
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks everyone. Wish I had someone to see it so they could tell me if my judgment was correct but I think it was...of course.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

No delay, but you have to like a coach that is going to complain to you about that delay in a 3 hour scrimmage that you're working 2 man. Might be a good time to practice resumption of play procedures after a T?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:57am
Back from the DL

How much would you say that intent comes into play for each of the four D.O.G. warnings?