The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Just subbed out

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed a long time ago, but I can't find the thread. So here's the question. A6 substitutes into the game, replacing A1. Before the ensuing throw-in is touched inbounds, A5 commits a foul, which is his fifth personal foul. A1 is the team member in uniform on Team A's bench.

Is A1 allowed to return to the game, or must Team A play with 4 players until the next opportunity to sub after the clock has started?
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:25pm
We don't rent pigs

My recollection is that this was discussed fairly recently ? and the consensus was that, though not specified, the requirement to have 5 on the court trumped the requirement for the player to sit a tick.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
My recollection is that this was discussed fairly recently ? and the consensus was that, though not specified, the requirement to have 5 on the court trumped the requirement for the player to sit a tick.
That is how I remembered the discussion going as well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
That is correct....and I thought some reference had been found that supported that direction...perhaps with an injury instead of a DQ, but basically the same situation.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is correct....and I thought some reference had been found that supported that direction...perhaps with an injury instead of a DQ, but basically the same situation.
Check the interps archive
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed a long time ago, but I can't find the thread. So here's the question. A6 substitutes into the game, replacing A1. Before the ensuing throw-in is touched inbounds, A5 commits a foul, which is his fifth personal foul. A1 is the team member in uniform on Team A's bench.

Is A1 allowed to return to the game, or must Team A play with 4 players until the next opportunity to sub after the clock has started?
It's one of those, "It depends on who you ask" deals.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

These should provide the necessary information:

Older NFHS Interp:
2002-03
SITUATION 5: Team A is playing with five players, but has no remaining substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor. RULING: The player must leave the game unless a time-out is requested and granted to Team A with the player being ready to resume by the end of the time-out. The team may continue with fewer than five players if there are no substitutes available. An injured/ill player may return to the game after recovery. (3-3-5)

Recent Case Play (due to MTD):
2008-09
*8.2 SITUATION B: A1 is fouled and will be shooting two free throws. After A1’s
first free-throw attempt, B6 (Team B’s only remaining eligible substitute) replaces
B2. A1’s second free-throw attempt is unsuccessful. During rebounding action for
A1’s missed second free-throw attempt, and before the clock starts, A1 pushes B3
in the back causing B3 to roll an ankle. Team B is in the bonus. B3 is unable to
immediately continue playing. Team B requests and is granted a time out in order
to allow B3 to recover from the ankle injury so as to remain in the game. B3 is still
not able to play after the time out has ended. RULING: B2 may return to the game
and replace B3 and shoot B3’s free throw attempts despite having been replaced
since he/she is the only available substitute. (3-3-4)
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 06:54am
Lighten up, Francis.

Thumbs up

Thanks all.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

Based on the two case plays presented, are we to assume that the requirement to "sit a tick" is "trumped" by the the requirement to "play with five" where the fifth player is uninjured, but not where the fifth player is injured, in which case the coach must take a timeout or the inured player must sit a tick?

Or rather, is the requirement to "sit a tick" is always "trumped" by the the requirement to "play with five"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 05, 2010 at 06:01pm.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 06:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Based on the two case plays presented, are we to assume that the requirement to "sit a tick" is "trumped" by the the requirement to "play with five" where the fifth player is uninjured, but not where the fifth player is injured, in which case the coach must take a timeout or the inured player must sit a tick?

Or rather, is the requirement to "sit a tick" is always "trumped" by the the requirement to "play with five"?
Don't assume anything. Just follow the direction of the RULING of case book play 8.2SitB and quit thinking so damn much.

The two case plays are completely different. In only one of them is a substitute available when play is ready to start. In both cases though, when the substitute IS available, he/she can come back into the game immediately.