The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Back Screen

When setting a blind screen, the offense is required to give the offense space to react. I know rule of thumb tends to be a step, but is there anywhere that gives a specific measurement or evidence of how much space they actually need?

We ended up in a pretty heated discussion today and a clinic in regards to what constitutes " a step".

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

The NFHS rule seems pretty clear.

When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.

One normal step backwards. There's no rule that says a normal step is 24 inches or whatever. If there's contact and there's less than a step taken when the screened player turns, it's a foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Oct 27, 2010 at 10:06am.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-40-4:
ART. 4 . . . When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the
visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward
without contact.

There are no case plays for any article of rule 4-40 which could provide insight beyond the (straightforward) term "normal step." Official's judgment.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

And considering the rule applies to a stationary opponent, how far a "normal step" is requires much less judgment than the rule regarding a moving opponent. I think BBR has exactly nailed it...if the screened player contacts the screen before he's completed a step, it's a foul.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
When setting a blind screen, the offense is required to give the offense space to react. I know rule of thumb tends to be a step, but is there anywhere that gives a specific measurement or evidence of how much space they actually need?

We ended up in a pretty heated discussion today and a clinic in regards to what constitutes " a step".
Even in the FIBA book a normal step is left to the judgement of the official. Rule below.

2010 FIBA RULES page 36 - 37
Rule 6 - 33.7 Screening: Legal and illegal
Screening is an attempt to delay or prevent an opponent without the ball from
reaching a desired position on the playing court.

Legal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:
  • Was stationary (inside his cylinder) when contact occurs.
  • Had both feet on the floor when contact occurs.
Illegal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:
  • Was moving when contact occurred.
  • Did not give sufficient distance in setting a screen outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent when contact occurred.
  • Did not respect the elements of time and distance of an opponent in motion when contact occurred.
If the screen is set within the field of vision of a stationary opponent (front or lateral), the screener may establish the screen as close to him as he desires, provided there is no contact.

If the screen is set outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent, the screener must permit the opponent to take one (1) normal step towards the screen without making contact.

If the opponent is in motion, the elements of time and distance shall apply.

The screener must leave enough space so that the player who is being screened is able to avoid the screen by stopping or changing direction.

The distance required is never less than one (1) and never more than two (2) normal steps.

A player who is legally screened is responsible for any contact with the player who has set the screen.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

I also would not nitpick the "step." And if there is contact someone better be put at an disadvantage not just any kind of contact either. Then again that is what I do to consistently call fouls on plays like this.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't disagree on any particular point. The issue seems to be some officials/coaches wanting to split hairs over the difference between a step and a stride = a normal step.

A step apparently able to be able to be as small as on foot length or less while a stride can be in excess of 5 feet. ie. A normal step they could take, vs. a normal step they want to take.

ie. If a player pivots only to then smash into a blind screen to the back they've taken a step - no foul?

If a player takes a full stride back pedaling and clips a blind screen before that step lands - foul?

In one the player can be almost immediately behind while in the other the player may need to give the defender 4 or more feet.

I'm more of a if it looks like duck sort of guy on this call, but we are trying to tighten up how we call screens locally as there seems to be a large variant in how it is being called. As someone mentioned the difference between the letter of the law and intent.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

There are two distinct cases, it from what I've read to this point it sounds as though the criteria for the two cases is being mixed together.

ART. 4 . . . When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.
ART. 5 . . . When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact by stopping or changing direction. The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may take his/her stationary position. The position will vary and may be one to two normal steps or strides from the opponent.

The OP used the term "blind screen" which isn't actually defined.

If you define "blind screen" as being restricted to 4-40-4 (i.e., a screen on a stationary opponent outside the visual field), then the notion of a stride has no bearing on the discussion. The standard is "one normal step backward". If the screened opponent steps backward and contacts the screen before the foot comes down it's a foul.

If you define "blind screen" to mean any screen the opponent doesn't see, then you also have to consider 4-40-5. You have to consider both screening stationary opponents as above as well as moving opponents where the screener must allow "time and distance to avoid contact" and judge that time and distance in steps or strides.

As for the difference between a step and a stride, a stride is a step taken while running.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I don't disagree on any particular point. The issue seems to be some officials/coaches wanting to split hairs over the difference between a step and a stride = a normal step.
Use your common sense...don't over think this one...."Coach, that is the exact same space/step that your defense will get on the other end"....