The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 12:01pm
9 times

Lightbulb

I am headed to a camp this weekend at Utah State University. This got me thinking about the learning that goes on and thought that it might be good for us to write about whatever it is that sticks out about the camps that we go to so everyone can benefit from our collective experience. I'll write mine on Monday.

Feel free to share what you've already gotten if you've been to camp this year.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

if you want, i always take detailed camp notes, i have been to 5 this year, and i will give them to you if you want them.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Angry I enjoy camps, but...

one thing that bothers me is any time there is a supervisor of officials there, the only thing the evaluators are concerned about is kissing their butt (read, trying to move up) instead of evaluating the campers.

I attended a local camp here in Tucson. The camp was run by two DI officials. They are also friends of mine. The supervisor from the Big Sky conference was there to check out new prospects. The majority of evaluators were so far up her arse that they forgot about critiquing the other officials. Very disappointing when you are trying to improve.

Is this common?
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I never noticed this. What I notice is that the evaluators leave as soon as the checks arrive. If you host a camp. Pay them when it is over, not half way through. Also, about taking notes. Watch for diffences on what one evaluatore sees versus another. Take what fits your game this summer and leave the rest. You may be ready for that next year.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 12:45pm
9 times

Not really looking for detailed notes, what I am looking for is a place to share information for everyone's benefit.

A couple of thoughts about my latest camp experience (Dave Hall's Camp @ Utah State University):

1--When you are expected to be the man on the game--You had better be ready to step up--elevate your partners closer to your level.

2--Don't let the game's or your partner's shortcomings affect how you officiate.

3--One very small step can make a big difference in what kind of angle you create (or take away) for yourself.

4--Catching subtle off ball stuff makes you so much better in the evaluator's eyes.

5--Networking is important as you move up the ladder, but politics tend to get worse--they never get better.

6--Game management is what separates the good officials from the great ones.

That is all for now. If I think of anything else I'll put it up too.

Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Stripes, What do you call game management and can you give me a couple of examples? Thanks.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:39am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Stripes, What do you call game management and can you give me a couple of examples? Thanks.
Sure. I am talking about dead ball officiating. Dealing with coaches and players, understanding the "temperature" of the game, knowing what to say and when to say it, etc. Basically, it is administrating the game smoothly.

Hope that makes sense.

Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Game management also includes things such as staying aware of where the coaches are in respect to their coaching boxes, watching the game clock (and shot clock where applicable), having had a thorough pregame so both refs are on the same page when something unusual happens, seeing when a player is getting frustrated and heading off a problem with him/her before it occurs, always making sure the possession arrow is correct....etc. etc.

And I completely agree. Game management is what separates good from great.

Z
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
What do you call game management and can you give me a couple of examples?
Sure. Game management is giving Shaq 20 FTs in the 4th quarter and never calling a foul on Kobe, when it's obvious to everybody that he's just manhandling Bibby, to make sure that Sacramento (a small market team) doesn't make the Finals.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.

Stan, in all seriousness, Stripes and Z give a good picture of game management.

Chuck
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unhappy You mean rules knowledge is not important?

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes

6--Game management is what separates the good officials from the great ones.

I thought having the highest test scores was what separated the bad officials from the good officials. Maybe I need to lessen my test scores and work on that Game Management thing you keep talking about. I must have had it twisted all along.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 02:37pm
9 times

Re: You mean rules knowledge is not important?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I must have had it twisted all along.

Peace
Must have!!

Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Sure. Game management is giving Shaq 20 FTs in the 4th quarter and never calling a foul on Kobe, when it's obvious to everybody that he's just manhandling Bibby, to make sure that Sacramento (a small market team) doesn't make the Finals.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I thought having the highest test scores was what separated the bad officials from the good officials. Maybe I need to lessen my test scores and work on that Game Management thing you keep talking about. I must have had it twisted all along.

Oh boy, now you guys did it! I'm going back over to "the other board", they seem a little more reasonable there!

Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Oh Rut, you just couldn't resist could you?

Incredible official: Good rule knowledge, good mechanics, good presence, good game management.

Great official: Good rule knowledge, good mechanics and great presence.

Good official: Good rule knowledge and good mechanics.

Fair official: Good rule knowledge.

Poor offical: Poor rule knowledge, great mechanics and great presence.

Horrible official: None of the above.

Obviously, I left out many possible combinations. But the point is that you could become a decent official without that "presence" that you so highly prize yet you aren't going to get past horrible without good rule knowledge.

Z

Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 04:39pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Oh Rut, you just couldn't resist could you?

Incredible official: Good rule knowledge, good mechanics, good presence, good game management.

Great official: Good rule knowledge, good mechanics and great presence.

Good official: Good rule knowledge and good mechanics.

Fair official: Good rule knowledge.

Poor offical: Poor rule knowledge, great mechanics and great presence.

Horrible official: None of the above.

Obviously, I left out many possible combinations. But the point is that you could become a decent official without that "presence" that you so highly prize yet you aren't going to get past horrible without good rule knowledge.

Z

I don't know if I totally agree. I guess it depends on what you rate as "poor rule knowledge". I know, personally, a couple of final four officials and they have told me stories about how they have screwed up rules because they haven't known them. These stories involve situations in the NCAA tournament. These officials have great presence and credibility, but some of them have terrible mechanics and I would think that rules knowledge is somewhat suspect, due to the stories they tell about themselves. Does that make them "poor" officials? I don't think so.

I think that rules knowledge is very important--we have to know them to administer them, but rules knowledge is not nearly enough. Too many officials, IMO, are like cops--they think they have to know everything and bust every infraction they see. Realistically, there are too many infractions at any given time to get them all. Understanding what to call and what to leave alone is much more important, IMO, than what a false double foule is and how to administer it. Personally, I would rather have a partner with great presence and management skills than a guy that could quote rules and book locations. I am convinced that a partner who understands the game can help me figure out what the right thing to do is, but a guy who might know the rule will rarely, if ever, get you out of trouble with a coach.

JMO, take it for what it is worth (not much!!! )

[Edited by stripes on Jun 11th, 2002 at 04:44 PM]

Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 04:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Z my man.

If you have been paying attention to anything I have said about "Presence," I have always felt that "Presence" is the glue that keeps the fabric together. You cannot have good game management without a good presence in my opinion.

It is much bigger than that, but I think we have hashed and rehashed this topic, no matter what I say someone will disagree with it. But that is life.

Peace