The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 07, 2002, 02:40pm
In Memoriam

New ruling!

Religious medals may be worn under the uniform this year.

R4-5-6 now states " religious and medical alert medals are not considered jewelry.A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform.A medic alert medal must be taped and must be visible".

New CB play 3.5SitA defines it as "religious medals may be worn provided they are taped and worn under the uniform.Necklaces must also be taped and completely under the uniform".

Old Mon Oct 07, 2002, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

The wedding band could definately be a medical and religious exemption:

If you come home not wearing it (or, even worse, wearing the wrong one), you'll be in need of a funeral!
Old Mon Oct 07, 2002, 04:58pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: Re: What is good for them is good for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
...it is not as cool anymore either. I guess turning 30 does that to ya.

Peace
Maybe that's when I lost it.
I know I ran outa cool a long time ago.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: What is good for them is good for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Rut,
So, you are remembering that earing with more frequency?
mick
I do not wear them anymore. I have not put any earrings on in probably over a year. Between all the time that I officiate, I cannot find a time to wear them anymore. BTW, I am getting older and it is not as cool anymore either. I guess turning 30 does that to ya.

Peace
Rut: Not too sure about this. We have 3 officials (all over 40) that wear ear studs. They don't wear them in the game though. Personally, I think they look stupid on a guy no matter what his age. Both of my sons had them for about a month or so and gave them up. The younger son's ear lobe got infected -- scared the crap out of him.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

OH regulates this for us so we don't have to worry about it.

Wedding bands, religious medals, and medic alert tags only.

Watches are out, unless they are used as a timepiece in the field/court.

I take my band off, it is a bit loose. I can see me pointing in a direction after an OOB, and it flying down court. That would not be easy to explain.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is good for them is good for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref

Rut: Not too sure about this. We have 3 officials (all over 40) that wear ear studs. They don't wear them in the game though. Personally, I think they look stupid on a guy no matter what his age. Both of my sons had them for about a month or so and gave them up. The younger son's ear lobe got infected -- scared the crap out of him.
I got my ears pierced at 17(13 years ago). I was just about to start college and get out of high school. Many of my peers did it and there was not many situations we could not wear them. Now as I am older, have a job, officiting responsiblity, there is not much time to wear them. Do not get me wrong, I would wear them if I could or when I could. I officiate so much and year round, it became a pain in the a$$ to keep taking them out. And I never wanted to buy expensive earrings because of the possiblity of being stolen.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, here's a twist on this question. What about nail polish on officials (I'm talking females here). Any rules about that? No long nails, just polish. Camron, do you know the policy in the PBOA?
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Okay, here's a twist on this question. What about nail polish on officials (I'm talking females here). Any rules about that? No long nails, just polish. Camron, do you know the policy in the PBOA?
Don't know that I've ever seen or hear of one.

I would hope that if a person were to wear nail polish, it would not be "dramatic".
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question Official Wearing An Ankle Bracelet!

Now, this is a "first" for me so let me just spit this one out. I met up with an assigner and he had invited a few other officials to meet up with him and discuss their availability. When to my surprise one of the officials told me he had just finished doing a game and had rushed over to meet with the assigner. He had taken his referee shirt off and changed his sneakers, but was still wearing his referee game shorts. So I just glimpsed down at him, and to my surprise he was wearing a gold ankle bracelet. I then asked him does he take his ankle bracelet off when he is officiating games?,and he told me no. Now mind you, I had never seen a "man" with an ankle bracelet on in the first place, now to hear that he wears it during his games came as a shock to me. Just wondering is this a new style, or am I missing something here!
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I have a fellow softball umpire who wears the ankle bracelet thingie all the time.
I asked him about it and it seems that the anklet was a joke gift from his daughter before some accident that happened.
He wears it religiously and refuses to take it off at all.
It is strange to me but it is a connection to his daughter that is vitally important to him.

Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Love2--

Are we talking inside the sock, or outside?
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 10:26am
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Love2--

Are we talking inside the sock, or outside?
Personally, I never got used to spending a lot of time looking inside the socks of my partners.
What are you thinking, Jewel?
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Official Wearing An Ankle Bracelet!

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Now, this is a "first" for me so let me just spit this one out. I met up with an assigner and he had invited a few other officials to meet up with him and discuss their availability. When to my surprise one of the officials told me he had just finished doing a game and had rushed over to meet with the assigner. He had taken his referee shirt off and changed his sneakers, but was still wearing his referee game shorts. So I just glimpsed down at him, and to my surprise he was wearing a gold ankle bracelet. I then asked him does he take his ankle bracelet off when he is officiating games?,and he told me no. Now mind you, I had never seen a "man" with an ankle bracelet on in the first place, now to hear that he wears it during his games came as a shock to me. Just wondering is this a new style, or am I missing something here!
Hey - I'm not one to disregard a court order, either!
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Unhappy Rainmaker, This Was Outside The Sock!

Because the weather was still warm, (I assume) this is probably why he was wearing a pair of those tube socks which fall a tad bit below the ankle area. I see where you may be going with this though, if the bracelet is underneath the sock and out of plain view there's no reason to get alarmed.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Rainmaker, This Was Outside The Sock!

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
I see where you may be going with this though, if the bracelet is underneath the sock and out of plain view there's no reason to get alarmed.
Yes, that was the point. In the summer, I suppose it would be up to the league. I would think it would be annoying to wear, but on my partner it sure wouldn't take up a lot of my time.

Mick -- you need to take mind-reading lessons!