The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What Are The Jewelry Rules For Officials? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5938-what-jewelry-rules-officials.html)

Love2ref4Ever Sat Oct 05, 2002 07:47pm

Over the past few years I have witnessed more and more officials wearing jewelry. Is this accepted by various college conferences and high school boards? Or is it that some officials just don't even care about there apearance. The most noticeable piece of jewelry that I see is the gold chain around the neck. I am married and I don't wear my wedding ring during any games, all though this piece of jewelry I understand is accepted. I would like to know what are the jewelry rules for officials. Or can we as officials do a game with a "MR. T" starter kit on.

rockyroad Sat Oct 05, 2002 07:53pm

My college supervisors would rip several new holes into any official wearing jewelry (besides the wedding band)...players can't wear it, why should we???

Love2ref4Ever Sat Oct 05, 2002 08:05pm

I Agree!

Rocky,
But what about your high school boards, Do they accept this behavior from officials?

zebraman Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:32am

Our association does not allow jewelry. A wedding band is an exception, but I don't wear mine and have noticed that only a couple of our refs do wear their wedding band (and no, I don't have any knowledge that their marriages are better for it) :-)

Z

ChuckElias Sun Oct 06, 2002 02:55pm

My HS board also frowns on it, but who's going to tell the D1 guys what to do? As far as wedding bands, I used to take mine off; but almost lost it one night, so now I wear it. But when I did the USBL games, they made it very clear that no jewelry at all was allowed. So I took it off for those games.

Chuck

rockyroad Sun Oct 06, 2002 03:39pm

To add to my previous comment, no my HS Assoc does not allow it either...we have several D-1 officials and they aren't allowed to wear it in HS games either...we did have one several years ago who made the comment "If I can't wear my necklace and earring, I won't do your games"...he doesn't do our HS games anymore...

JRutledge Sun Oct 06, 2002 04:02pm

What is good for them is good for you.

If the players cannot wear jewelry, why should we be able to wear jewelry? I also think it is a safety issue for both the officials and the players.

Peace

mick Sun Oct 06, 2002 04:55pm

Re: What is good for them is good for you.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
If the players cannot wear jewelry, why should we be able to wear jewelry? I also think it is a safety issue for both the officials and the players.

Peace

Rut,
So, you are remembering that earing with more frequency? ;)
mick

dblref Mon Oct 07, 2002 05:27am

My association says other than wedding rings, no jewelry at all. I wear my wedding ring because it won't come off (boney knuckles). It hasen't been off in over 20 years.

Camron Rust Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:23pm

Re: What is good for them is good for you.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace

While I agree that officials should not be wearing jewelry (with the exception of a wedding band), it is definitely not the same safety issue. How many refs have the opportunity to get their ring caught in the net or on a player's uniform. Not at all likely. Earrings could be a hazard if they are hit by the ball or collide with a player. A necklace is just bad taste, not likely to be dangerous. It simply looks bad. A simple wedding band should not be any issue.

JRutledge Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:37pm

Re: Re: What is good for them is good for you.

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

Rut,
So, you are remembering that earing with more frequency? ;)
mick

I do not wear them anymore. I have not put any earrings on in probably over a year. Between all the time that I officiate, I cannot find a time to wear them anymore. BTW, I am getting older and it is not as cool anymore either. ;) I guess turning 30 does that to ya. :D

Peace

stripes Mon Oct 07, 2002 01:08pm

I know that there are several D1 conferences that do not allow any jewelry including wedding bands. I figure if that is the way they do it, that is the way I'll do it.

JRutledge Mon Oct 07, 2002 01:16pm

I did not know that.

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
I know that there are several D1 conferences that do not allow any jewelry including wedding bands. I figure if that is the way they do it, that is the way I'll do it.
Man, I am glad I am not married. I might lose the ring. :D

Peace

zebraman Mon Oct 07, 2002 01:26pm

<i> Man, I am glad I am not married. I might lose the ring.</i>

That would be cause for divorce. :-) I just put it on my key ring like it's a key during the game. Can't get home without it that way.

Z

ScottParks Mon Oct 07, 2002 02:39pm

I agree with the philosophy that if I ask/tell the players not to wear jewelry, I'm not going to either. I also think it looks much better without any jewelry.

I've taken to putting my watch and wedding band in the cupholder that slides in and out of my dash of my truck and closing it. I know where they are and they're safer than in my suitcase.