The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Shoes

I am a high school ref who had trouble with shin splints last year for the first time in my life. HORRIBLE! Had my feet checked for pronation and everything checked out ok. I usually rotate 2-3 pair of shoes for the year. I was at a D1 college game last year and noticed all them were wearing what appeared to be Nike Air Max all leather. Anyone else worn them on the court? Had New Balance last year and won't go back to them. Tried on the "Breezy" but it was too narrow. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

If you can find them, any Nike Shox. I love mine. I was lucky enough when searching online to find them. I don't care for all leather. These were all black with some shiny black spots. Shoes were the soft running kind. For running, all I buy are shox.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Thanks cmjordan

Its funny that you mention shox cause I have a pair of shox that are grey that I use at the gym for running. Didn't realize they make them in all black....will look now though. Thx!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Crazy as they look, Im going to give the rezigs a shot this season.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 06:16am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Feet, feet, feet.....

As you are finding out, trial and error are unfortunately your best way to find out what is best for you....and your feet. Glad you had them checked!

We've had these discussions on the Forum many times before. What court shoe you are most comfortable with depends very much on your body type (large, small, tall, skinny) feet, (flat, arch, pronation, etc.) how many games you do, types of courts, etc. How a shoe looks is not as important as how they feel - and how they make you feel.

Knowing what you don't like is part of the process - as you found out.

I am 5'8" (on a good day) and an overpronator. I wear Asics to run in because they make a shoe I finally found useful (after much trial and error).

I tried a great many court shoes (NB, Nike, Addidas, etc.) and had foot and leg problems several times. Last year I bought a pair of patent leather Official's Choice shoes. Unfortunately, when trying them on, I didn't realize the severe arch they had. First couple of times I used them I was in terrible PAIN! Then, I went to an Orthopedic Surgeon who provided me custom made inserts and now I love the OC's and my feet never felt better!

Good luck in your search, continue to rotate your stock, and have a great year!

Last edited by grunewar; Thu Sep 30, 2010 at 07:55am. Reason: spelling
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Is this what you are looking for?

Nike Men's Air Max 2009 Leather Running Shoe*Black/Silver/Anthracite *| FinishLine.com
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn to referee in. They're a little on the heavy side, but my joints have never felt better when wearing this shoe. They're definitely pricey, but the nice thing about Nike shoes is that they have a 2 yr warranty on them. Apparently I drag my inside left toe quite a bit (I've tried to catch myself doing this and fix whatever it is I'm doing, but I never seem to notice it) and last season I wore the inside sole of my shoe at the left toe area all the way down to where it eventually got to the air pocket and it went flat during a camp early last summer. I got on the phone, got the RMA #, mailed the shoes back, and two weeks later had a voucher for $160 sitting in the mailbox for use on nike.com. Previously I'd done the same thing with with a pair of Shox that failed on me.

Unfortunately, I still have the voucher sitting on my desk as I have been looking for another pair of these shoes ever since then and just finally found that they were back in stock at Finish Line. Apparently they don't offer last year's models on nike.com. I talked to the FL manager as I was checking out and he said these shoes are flying off the shelves. I said I was a basketball referee and he said that he thought that's where 90% of them were going. I was going to buy 2 pair, but I got the last pair of 11.5's they had in stock. So theoretically, this pair of shoes was free, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the $160 voucher. Christmas gifts maybe.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Yes...this is the shoe I was talking about. Glad to hear positive comments!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I just bought a pair of those shoes. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Might be buying a second pair.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I just bought a pair of those shoes. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Might be buying a second pair.

Peace
so i guess the little bit of white detailing isnt a problem ?
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I tried a great many court shoes (NB, Nike, Addidas, etc.) and had foot and leg problems several times. Last year I bought a pair of patent leather Official's Choice shoes. Unfortunately, when trying them on, I didn't realize the severe arch they had. First couple of times I used them I was in terrible PAIN! Then, I went to an Orthopedic Surgeon who provided me custom made inserts and now I love the OC's and my feet never felt better!

Good luck in your search, continue to rotate your stock, and have a great year!
I had an arch problem and did the same thing and got some fitted Orthotics. The main difference is I ran into a athletic trainer that knew about a company that provided them and that fixed my problem. I cannot wear athletic shoes without them.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
Not for me and where I work. But if you want you can just use a permanent marker or go over them with black shoe polish. The problem is you are not going to find many black shoes where everything is black on them. Almost impossible to find on your own. You could custom make a shoe with some of the big retailers, but those will cost you even more money.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not for me and where I work. But if you want you can just use a permanent marker or go over them with black shoe polish. The problem is you are not going to find many black shoes where everything is black on them. Almost impossible to find on your own. You could custom make a shoe with some of the big retailers, but those will cost you even more money.

Peace
You are definitely right about the custom all black shoes, you can get yourself an all black pair of air max's on nikeid, however, it'll run you around $185+.

I'd take the $160 with a little marker anyday!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

GRUN - Asics also makes an all black running shoe that I wore for several years. I do to my 'funky feet' I switched this past year to Brooks Adrenaline (sp) because they were wider and fit my orthodics better.

As for the light grey or any 'non black' I too use a permanent marker. Early in the shoes life I have to mark them every game but after about 3 or 4 the marker sticks and it doesnt matter. As a 'hard runner' I blow out any Nike prodcut within a game or two.
My final point is to find a specialty running store in your area. They will usually put you through a whole process to help find the best shoe for you. It takes awhile initially, but after they have all of your foot requirments they keep them on file and you can ask them to keep an eye out for all black shoes that 'fit your feet". Hope that helps
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
Your assigner/supervisor can answer that question better than anyone here.