The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Question

Ok here's the deal. JV girls game, I call an obvious PC foul. I report it, go to administer the throw in when one fan starts heckling me. He was being quite loud and vulgar.I tried to ignore it at first but after several minutes I had had enough. I then blew my whistle and went half way across the floor and said "Coach, I'm not gonna referee until he shuts up" as i pointed at the big mouth. Now, please keep in mind that for ball like this there is no "game mangament" other than the home teams coach.

Was I out of line? Normally fans don't bug me but this guy was being really loud and makign personal remkarks towards me and my partner.

For what it's worth, he never said another word- when i made my annoucnment to the coach all of the other fans turned and told him to shut up as well

Thanks, Tyler
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't think you were out of line if the fan was being as loud and vulgar as you say. You did a service for the players as well as the fans around the bozo. No problem, as long you "announce" it to the coach in a calm way. Obviously, you don't want to shout it from midcourt. Other than that, I have no problems with what you did.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up You did good.

You handled it the best way you knew how. If the coach was the only game management around, you did what you were supposed to. You have the right to get rid of people that are distracting from the game. If in your best judgement that was the case, then you did your job. The only thing I would caution you against is that you might not want to make a habit of getting rid of people in the stands that get on you, only because there are going to be many that get on you during a game or season. Just make sure that they are vulgar or every personal and you can clearly identify the perpetrators. Usually let the "game management" handle it themselves (not in this situation but most) so you do not come out to be the bad guy. But then again that is why we get paid the big bucks, we are suppose to make tough decisions like this.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The one time I threatened to ask to have a dad tossed, his daughter came up to me and thanked me, QUIETLY. I have never felt so sorry for anyone in my life.