Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: Not your job.

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Notice that I said that I got the card from the state. We are required to read it.
stripes,
We got a card from Michigan, too.
The way I interpret the card is to give the coaches the information, not necessarily read it to them. And that can be done somewhere else (if, I remember), when I'm doing the book, for example, not in the circle.
mick
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 03:25pm
9 times

Re: Re: Re: Not your job.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Notice that I said that I got the card from the state. We are required to read it.
stripes,
We got a card from Michigan, too.
The way I interpret the card is to give the coaches the information, not necessarily read it to them. And that can be done somewhere else (if, I remember), when I'm doing the book, for example, not in the circle.
mick
We are required to read it in the circle with the head coaches present.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question We were given a card too.

It read:

"The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsiblity and prespective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let this competition reflect mutual respect among all participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest!"

Now is this the same card you guys have? On the back of the card it has the NF, NFOA and the IHSA symbols.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
I think that it is sad that it has come to where we have to read a stupid card to all present parties for the games. My state (Utah) now requires that it also be read over the pa system for all parties to hear. We are required to bring the coaches out for the pregame. I make it more of an introduction and I always keep it under 15 seconds. I don't read the card, but I do say to the captains that it is your responsiblity to keep yourself, your teamates, and your coaches in control.
I do not say what color the line is around the gym, what color that I am going to call each team, what kind of fouls that I am going to call or to keep your shirts tucked in. Don't state the obvious. If they can't tell what color the line is then they shouldn't be playing the sport, unless there are some really, and I mean really, weird lines. I also don't like to commit myself to a certain foul that will or will not be called. If you say that you are going to call it you then must call it. But sometimes a foul doesn't gain or create an advantage or disadvantage even though it fits the guidelines of a particular foul. Let the players dictate the game. If they want to play rough and tumble basketball then quickly call the foul and get them out of the game. They will adjust.
Nothing drives me more crazy than when I have a partner who takes forever in the coaches/captains meeting and didn't say a thing of importance. We all know they don't want to be there and they really don't listen. So get on with the formalities and get the the real stuff.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2002, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

My speech!

Four score and seven years ago......oopppsss wrong speech!

AK ref SE