The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 10:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

To ref, or not to ref

Actually, the question is more accurately phrased, "to pay dues this year, or not to pay dues this year."
I'm up against the deadlines, but have been diagnosed with a meniscus tear that I hope is minor. I'll be starting PT in a couple weeks, hoping the problem can be solved without surgery.
My question, for those who have been there or know someone well who has been there; are the odds good that I'll be recovered in time for the season? Worst case scenario, by January?
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

What happens if you don't pay dues? Do you have to "start over" (e.g., seniority, rankings) next year, or do you pick up where you left off? Can you pay late if you recover (along with some late payment fee)? IF you pay now but can't work, can you get a (partial) refund?
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My ranking in this association is still pretty new (would be my third year), so that's not an issue. If I don't pay soon, I won't be able to work this year at all, at least not during the season. Could probably do MS stuff, if I wanted.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 11:46am
Courageous When Prudent

I have had a couple buddiies who came back too soon from that injury and ended limping badly while officiating and eventually had to sit out the next season.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Slings And Arrows Of Outrageous Fortune ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
To pay dues this year, or not to pay dues this year?
How much are the dues? Our local board's annual dues are usually a little more than $100.00 (plus a 7% fee for income earned). For me, it would be an easy decision. It would be worth $100.00 to me to get my rulebook, casebook, and manual, to be able to attend meetings to keep up with rule and mechanics changes, and to continue to serve on our training committee. And then there's our board's end of the season banquet, top class, with an open bar (included in the dues).

Snaqwells: Good luck. “For I will restore health to you and heal you of your wounds,” says the Lord. (Jeremiah 30:17)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 31, 2010 at 11:53am.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My ranking in this association is still pretty new (would be my third year), so that's not an issue. If I don't pay soon, I won't be able to work this year at all, at least not during the season. Could probably do MS stuff, if I wanted.
Our board has a "non-working member" designation, which I actually used last season. You pay 50% of the dues by the due date and are not to work games. You may still attend all meetings, go through clinics, etc. However, if anything changes throughout the season and you wish to work, you pay the second half of your dues and you are able to pick up work immediately, though chances at things like state tournament games are likely out the window.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Pay the dues and you can you will not make anyone wonder why you are not there. Do not pay the dues and you might be forgotten.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously it depends on the extent of the tear. I am a big advocate of PT over surgery, but both of my meniscus tears required surgery. They were swelling up each time I did anything strenuous and the draining/hydrocortisone provided little relief.

If worst case means getting surgery, my last knee was scoped in the August timeframe and although very sore, I worked mid-November.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 09:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I'd pay them. I have kept my VT IAABO membership dues paid. After being 10 years as a member I can pay the retired rate, but I do not have to start all over by maintaining membership. Plus, you might still be able to attend games and pick up pointers at a local HS while you are inactive.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 07:29am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Pay Em

I had knee surgery several yrs back that was much more extensive than this - so I am confident you'll be back.

Personally, I'd pay the dues - but take your time returning to the court. I found it a very fine line between letting my body heal and aggressive rehabilitation. Be smart as a setback can be worse than the original problem. (Truth be told, I was rehabbing and ahead of schedule....then some lady hit me with her van while I was walking my dog and in a cross-walk! I take it you probably won't have that added complication!!)

Concur with the other's suggestions - get your books, go to meetings, offer to train and evaluate, go to games and listen to pre-games/post games, etc. Stay involved.

Good luck!
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Highly Recommended ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Some lady hit me with her van while I was walking my dog and in a cross-walk!
Check out the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe. The law firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe is recommended by three out of three Stooges. How about that for a reference? You don't get a higher recommendation than that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 01:14pm.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Had Meniscus surgery this year in Feb 2010. 11 days after surgery my Dr. needed to drain excess fluid from my knee. (This sometimes happens when there's a meniscus tear and what they call a Bakers Cyst). I then started physical therapy. Went 3 to 4 times a week over a period of 6 weeks. My knee has held up great. I still exercise it and where a brace off and on. Good Luck.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 02:45pm
M.A.S.H.

If you are planning on being in that area for a while, I would pay my dues. If you are unable to work, I would still attend meetings and try to help out.

Certainly hope you recover and are able to get back on the floor this season!
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 04:27pm
Back from the DL

I find it intesting how due dates vary for each board. My board requires dues paid by existing members for next year by the spring meeting in mid March.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I find it intesting how due dates vary for each board. My board requires dues paid by existing members for next year by the spring meeting in mid March.
Ours is the same way, except we pay by April for the next season.