The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 08:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up OT - but heartwarming

I think I've posted previously that my wife is a volunteer for Make-A-Wish Foundation, the non-profit organization that grants wishes to kids with life threatening medical conditions. She has one "wish kid" who wants to drive around in "big Tonka trucks" (meaning real construction trucks and equipment). She found a dealer here in the Portland area who is going to hold the wish party for this kid, his family and his buddies. One thing they're going to do is use a back hoe to pick up basketballs and then "shoot" them into a dump truck. They're going to let the kid sit in the cab of the back hoe with the operator and help pull the lever that releases the ball. When the kid heard he was going to be doing this, he got incredibly excited. It's happening next month and the kid's family will be making a video for him.

The manager at the dealership told my wife that every time the kid makes a "basket", the guys will all come up to him, give him a high five and say, "Nice shot, Lebron."

Oh yeah, they're also making him a hard hat with his name on it.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 08:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Nice Story Mark

I know you post these stories about your wife's Make a Wish exploits on occasion and they're very cool. Good for her and thanks for sharing!
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 10:42am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I know you post these stories about your wife's Make a Wish exploits on occasion and they're very cool. Good for her and thanks for sharing!
I posted this one because it had a basketball "tie in". If I posted all the things my wife did for this organization, we'd have to start another board.

BTW - last night was "National Night Out" and we had some police officers come to our HOA gathering to speak about neighborhood safety. They publicly thanked my wife for her work with Make-A-Wish. Our local police department sometimes helps out on wishes.

Also BTW - I'm going to try to get one of the officers to referee a game in our local kids rec league this coming season - probably 3rd grade. I think the kids would get a real kick out of it. I'd ask him to work a HS level game, but I don't want to spoil the game by having some of the kids arrested.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for sharing Mark. Great story all around, with or without the basketball tie-in.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the post, Mark. 'Tis a great story.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I think I've posted previously that my wife is a volunteer for Make-A-Wish Foundation, the non-profit organization that grants wishes to kids with life threatening medical conditions. She has one "wish kid" who wants to drive around in "big Tonka trucks" (meaning real construction trucks and equipment). She found a dealer here in the Portland area who is going to hold the wish party for this kid, his family and his buddies. One thing they're going to do is use a back hoe to pick up basketballs and then "shoot" them into a dump truck. They're going to let the kid sit in the cab of the back hoe with the operator and help pull the lever that releases the ball. When the kid heard he was going to be doing this, he got incredibly excited. It's happening next month and the kid's family will be making a video for him.

The manager at the dealership told my wife that every time the kid makes a "basket", the guys will all come up to him, give him a high five and say, "Nice shot, Lebron."

Oh yeah, they're also making him a hard hat with his name on it.
Thank you for posting. The hard work and dedication shown by people like your wife creates wonderful memories for so many people.
Old Sun Aug 08, 2010, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Who among us never daydreamed about driving a "big tonka truck" as a kid.

I'm sure watching this kid's face will make every minute worthwhile.
Old Sun Aug 08, 2010, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Love My Tonka, Man, I Love My Truck ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amused official View Post
Who among us never daydreamed about driving a "big tonk truck" as a kid.
My supervisor had a load of fill delivered to his house. After dumping the fill the truck operator allowed my supervisor's five year old son to sit in the cab of the truck. It was nice to hear about this. I guess this truck operator remembered what it was like to be a five year old kid. Maybe he was like that as a youngster, and it carried over to his career.

Our town has an annual "Truck Day". All sorts of town trucks and tractors show up in a town park and parents make a small donation to allow their kids to sit in the trucks. Firetrucks, dump trucks, snorkel trucks, backhoes, street sweepers, etc.. It's truck heaven for five year old kids.

I still have my Tonka trucks up in the attic. Metal, not plastic. Excellent condition. I can't wait to give them to my grandchildren. Two of my kids are engaged. Hopefully, I won't have to wait long.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 08, 2010 at 10:44am.
Old Sun Aug 08, 2010, 11:22am
We don't rent pigs

Them Tonka trucks are tough.

"A toy shouldn't break, just because a child plays with it.

Lonesome Dove