The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

A player has the ball in either the deep left or deep right corner, out near the side line. At either of these positions, if the player shoots the ball, the ball will pass over the corner of the rectangular backboard. And since the ball passed over the backboard do you blow the ball dead? If the ball went thru the basket do you disallow the goal?
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Yes I think you disallow the goal . I think if it is a fan shaped backboard it would be legal??
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

I think if the shot is taken from deep in the corner, I would allow the basket. I can't visualize how from that angle, the ball would pass over the backboard. I'm not sure what the exact intent of the rule is, or why it is in the rule book. If we found this informaion out, we might be able to better answer this question.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I can't recall ever seeing a shot from deep in the corner go over the board. I would allow the basket.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by The Observer on 02-28-2000 11:20 PM
A player has the ball in either the deep left or deep right corner, out near the side line. At either of these positions, if the player shoots the ball, the ball will pass over the corner of the rectangular backboard. And since the ball passed over the backboard do you blow the ball dead? If the ball went thru the basket do you disallow the goal?

I'd check your math / geometry. Assuming the diagram in the front of the rule book is to scale, then a quick check with a straight edge shows that the center of the ball wouldn't pass over the backboard unless the shot was taken from just a couple of feet from the free throw lane.

Plus, the rule doesn't specify whether "part of the ball" or "all of the ball" must pass over the backboard (at least that I could find). even if it's "part" of the ball, I still think the shot would need to be inside the three-point arc before it would pass over the backboard.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

The main intent of this rule is to not allow a pass from out of bounds to go over the backboard. I believe it was Wilt Chamberlan that when this was legal teams used to put chicken wire in the supports to stop them from just lobbing the ball to him. To answer the original question I would count the shot from the corner.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I believe a shot from the "extreme corner" is still legal. I would count it.

It would take some HUGE "cahones" to try and sell "no basket" to the coach. Look at it this way; if you count the basket is the other coach gonna go berserk? Probably not...
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
The federation rule does not have a penalty for passing over the backboard on a pass or shot. The ncaa rule is that the ball is dead however. I say count the goal and play on.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2000, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn on 03-01-2000 07:26 PM
The federation rule does not have a penalty for passing over the backboard on a pass or shot. The ncaa rule is that the ball is dead however. I say count the goal and play on.

Has the Fed changed 7-1-2 Note?
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Not to rain on the NF and their intellectual glory, but I interpret any shot taken within the legal boundary of the court, counts. I am not a geometry whiz by any standard, but if A1 is inside the side or baseline, itÂ’s good(with exceptions, of course). Now, I would disallow someone who is falling out of bounds (baseline) and heaves one over; and I would disallow some contortionist who may be able to stay inbounds under the basket and manages to get one over backboard. But in the play originally described, you let him have it, great play and move on. That is, unless you really don't like the school and you do not want to be asked back.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I would count the shot unless it was an extreme circumstance, like the contortionist from directly under the basket. I think this is one where you have to consider the spirit of the rule and not get carried away with the letter.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

Bob, thanks for the correction!!!