The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Feedback on coach interaction

I try not to let coaches get under my skin, question my ethics/integrity, or get away with acting like a child on the sideline (stamping feet, etc.). For the most part I try to ignore them and answer questions they may during the game and leave it at that.

At the camp I attended a couple of weeks ago one line I heard was, I thought, pretty good. If you've already answered a coach's question but he keeps hammering you on the call (or has been chirping for a while I guess) the line they came up was to announce loud enough for your partner(s) to hear "Blue coach is done officiating tonight". The meaning, of course, is the same as a stop sign, but this way everyone knows when/if you T him up that they know why it's happened. Obviously this is something you pre-game.

I used this in a game last night and it worked well (i.e., a chirpy coach kept his mouth shut for the rest of the game), but I'm curious regarding any feedback you all might have on this approach.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Why not just say "Coach, that's enough"? That puts the onus on the coach to get off your azz. It's also his warning. If he's dumb enough to continue, he then deserves what he gets. And what he gets should be an immediate "T" if he keeps yapping at you.

And you can say "Coach, that's enough" loud enough for your partners to hear and get the meaning also.

Personally, I'm not fond of comments like "You're done officiating tonight". You're sureashell inviting a return comment from the coach like "Well, somebody has to officiate. You're not". And then you have to deal with that one.

The fewer neutral words used, the better.

JMO.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Just warn the coach, then tell your partner(s) that the Blue Coach has been warned. If he keeps it up, then you T.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Why not just say "Coach, that's enough"? That puts the onus on the coach to get off your azz. It's also his warning. If he's dumb enough to continue, he then deserves what he gets. And what he gets should be an immediate "T" if he keeps yapping at you.

And you can say "Coach, that's enough" loud enough for your partners to hear and get the meaning also.

Personally, I'm not fond of comments like "You're done officiating tonight". You're sureashell inviting a return comment from the coach like "Well, somebody has to officiate. You're not". And then you have to deal with that one.

The fewer neutral words used, the better.

JMO.
Totally agree, you're only baiting the coach into another snippy comment using these types of one liners. Just warn or wack him and be done with it. Noone is impressed with your clever comebacks, they seldom work.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I start with "I hear you coach"

Then go to "That's enough coach"

Then "tweet... WHACK"

Normally they are spread out over the quarter or half or game even.

AAU tournament this past weekend had all 3 of them in a 30 second span less than 2 minutes into the game. The first two didn't work at stopping his yelling and stomping, the third did. No problems rest of game.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
I start with "I hear you coach"

Then go to "That's enough coach"

Then "tweet... WHACK"

Normally they are spread out over the quarter or half or game even.

AAU tournament this past weekend had all 3 of them in a 30 second span less than 2 minutes into the game. The first two didn't work at stopping his yelling and stomping, the third did. No problems rest of game.
Good stuff!
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
Good stuff!
The three W's, wave, warn, then whack.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
The three W's, wave, warn, then whack.
I can't tell you how bad we need the "technical foul" concept in baseball and softball. We have to go straight from "Cut it out" to "Go sit in the air-conditioning". No way to penalize a coach's TEAM for his antics.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 04:17pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Why not just say "Coach, that's enough"?
Exactly. After this, childlike objections magically become, "excuse me, sir..."

What also works for me, with stern eye contact and a hand to the chest: "Coach, I got this."
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

I am not a big fan of the stop sign. It works for some and that is great.

If you have a coach that wants to be a fourth member of your crew, I would say "Coach, you are distracting us from doing our job." "I am happy to answer your questions/concerns, but we can't have a conversation on every play."

The key is that the behavior needs to be addressed. Find your style and what works best for you. In general, if you are "mad" at a coach, you probably let things go too far.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I had never heard that one before but I agree it's better to keep things simple.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I am not a big fan of the stop sign. It works for some and that is great.

If you have a coach that wants to be a fourth member of your crew, I would say "Coach, you are distracting us from doing our job." "I am happy to answer your questions/concerns, but we can't have a conversation on every play."

The key is that the behavior needs to be addressed. Find your style and what works best for you. In general, if you are "mad" at a coach, you probably let things go too far.
As a fan of said stop sign, I will disagree. It is also acts as a visual reminder, and most people do better when they see something along with hearing it. It also takes away the argument from a coach that "I wasn't warned". Now if they go back to the game film/tape/8mm/video you will clearly be seen 'warning' the coach about his/her behavior and that will end the discussion right there.
Now, I am NOT saying that you need to give a warning everytime, I am just referencing the use/non use of the stop sign. On the downside, if you are a taller official, and the coach is a lot shorter, make sure when you give them the stop sign it doesn't end up at face level.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
At the camp I attended a couple of weeks ago ...
they came up was to announce loud enough for your partner(s) to hear "Blue coach is done officiating tonight".
My feedback is that people who believe in teaching comments such as that should not be running camps.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Also, and this is just a thought, but directing your warning to the partners and the rest of the gym really comes across as demeaning and dismissive. IMO, it's better to warn the coach and inform your parters than it is to phrase your warning as a statement to your partners.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 10:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
As a fan of said stop sign, I will disagree. It is also acts as a visual reminder, and most people do better when they see something along with hearing it. It also takes away the argument from a coach that "I wasn't warned". Now if they go back to the game film/tape/8mm/video you will clearly be seen 'warning' the coach about his/her behavior and that will end the discussion right there.
Now, I am NOT saying that you need to give a warning everytime, I am just referencing the use/non use of the stop sign. On the downside, if you are a taller official, and the coach is a lot shorter, make sure when you give them the stop sign it doesn't end up at face level.
1. The argument from the coach that "I wasn't warned" is answered far more easily. I won't even need the tape. "Coach, we're/he's/she's not required to warn you for unsporting behavior."
2. If you need tape to back you up to your assigner, then either you need to find an assigner who trusts your word or your assigner needs to find an official whom he trusts.
3. Some people find the stop sign effective, I haven't. I've used it, and each time I've issued a T immediately afterwards. The coach is an adult, and adults do not like being dismissed with the hand.
4. If this is an accepted mechanic in your area and the coaches understand it as a warning, fine. That hasn't been the case for me in any of the three metro areas in which I've worked.