The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Does anybody understand the mecahnics in the NBA. Especially when the offical calls a foul. Does the calling offcail become the trail no matter what side (table or opposite) and the other two go where they have not been (I know that sounds simple but that is the only way I can explin it). Can anyone help. Also their visible count is usally a litle highere that what I have been told at camps--or ois that my imagination. Also everyone walks around when they are reporting. No running!!! Is that a mechanic or do they do it just to look kewl?

Chris \
The Bahamas

------------------
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I noticed similar issues with NBA mechanics, but found the answer as to their rotation this year. See, each crew consists of a crew chief, referee, and umpire. These positions are assigned to each game, usually based on senority. The rotation is based on where these guys are on the court, b/c the c.c. and umpire always start ball side on inbounds plays, if they are following proper mechanics, which, as we all know, never happens.
As for foul reporting, they are just lazy, and usually everyone at the table knows who fouled since they are just as experienced as the floor officials. Remember, this is the NBA, where anything goes!
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

After watching the NBA guys for afew games this year (About 30,we have comany paid seats) The calling official on a foul goes table side and stays table side. - makes sense, he does not have to go back across the floor after the report, or worry that a coach will get on his case for making a certain call.
Is it possible the federation could try this?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

It makes sence a bit. But it looks like sometimes they go opposite side and become trail. I agree that it amkes sence that you don't ahve to go across to adminisiter a free-throw. But if you are table side you will be right in ear-shot of a furious coach that disagrees with your call. I thikn NCAA and NF thinking is to get the calling officail as far away from them as possible on a foul.

------------------
Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 02:40am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
Originally posted by sip on 03-07-2000 07:33 PM
But if you are table side you will be right in ear-shot of a furious coach that disagrees with your call.

This is exactly why the NBA does it this way - so that the calling official can be right there to address the coach, if he starts complaining, etc. Why make the coach scream all the way across the floor?
Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

quote:
Originally posted by sip on 03-07-2000 07:33 PM
It makes sence a bit. But it looks like sometimes they go opposite side and become trail. I agree that it amkes sence that you don't ahve to go across to adminisiter a free-throw. But if you are table side you will be right in ear-shot of a furious coach that disagrees with your call. I thikn NCAA and NF thinking is to get the calling officail as far away from them as possible on a foul.

Do you really believe at the NBA level a mad and furious yelling coach really affects the official? They are pretty good(not always) at handling situations and when to or not slap a T.

Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

The NBA used to have the crew chief, referee, umpire designation that also was part of the rotation. That changed. The calling official always becomes trail and the other two officials switch (basically) this makes more sense in that the calling official goes out high enough to clear the table then doesnt have to go back in the middle like college. It does put the trail out near the coaches as well but that was not the intent. If the foul happens in the back court..and the ball is going to go the other way the officails generally dont rotate. ( i think) I forgot its been almost a year since I worked NBA three man rotation.
The NBA roatation is designed to be simple.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

So what yu are saying is that you used to be an NBA ref?
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

No I wish, However I have been to a couple of camps and refereed at the National Pro Am Tournament and work a summer league in Salt Lake that uses NBA meechanis.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2000, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Matt, you should really get all of the information about NBA Mechanics and Rules before condemning its Staff. After all they are the Best Officials in the World. They're more like the "Harvard School of Basketball Officiating."
Also being a beginning official, you do not have any idea what it takes to work at such a high level. The experiences that one gains along the way prepares him/her for future challenges. I often talk with youger officials, such as youself, about these types of challenges/issues. I get challenged, but it comes with the territory. I serve as Rules Interpreter for my local HS Association, and I also work as a Mentor to younger officials.
I just hope that there is someone in your area that could be of some assistance to you. They can give you some advice/insight about the road you will travel.
What you believe that you found is the answer to the NBA rotation is not totally accurate; although somewhat close.
The CC and Umpire do not always start ballside. Until you have a NBA Manual, how can you state that they almost never use proper mechanics? As for reporting fouls, once again the Manual states the proper mechanics in which it should be done, and walking is only a small part of it.
What you said about the Table Personnel is true; they are very experienced people. But that alone doesn't make them any kind of authority on who committed the foul/violation before the Official reports it to the PA Announcer.
Just because it's the NBA, that doesn't mean anything goes.
Don't you realize, that when you are officiating a game there are many many people saying things like that about you??? Understand this: Those people are misinformed and uneducated about officiating at any level... just think about that for a moment.
I hope that as you continue, if you continue, to officiate you will understand and appreciate what the NBA Officials do for "OFFICIALS" as a whole!
Remember, when you're out there on that court you only have one or two friends------YOUR PARTNER(S)!
quote:
Originally posted by Matt S. on 03-06-2000 07:34 PM
Actually, I noticed similar issues with NBA mechanics, but found the answer as to their rotation this year. See, each crew consists of a crew chief, referee, and umpire. These positions are assigned to each game, usually based on senority. The rotation is based on where these guys are on the court, b/c the c.c. and umpire always start ball side on inbounds plays, if they are following proper mechanics, which, as we all know, never happens.
As for foul reporting, they are just lazy, and usually everyone at the table knows who fouled since they are just as experienced as the floor officials. Remember, this is the NBA, where anything goes!

Old Sun Mar 19, 2000, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Jeff, you are absolutely right. However, my basis for criticizing the NBA refs was not that they are bad-I know they are the best, and certainly respect their abilities-but the fact that when they report fouls, it is not in as uniform a manner as what is done in NFHS and NCAA. I was not saying it was wrong, just less formal. And I appreciate the concern, if you will, you have expressed towards my growth as an official. This is an avocation I do love, and I have already been asked by my current assignor (I do college intramurals) to become certified in another state, which I plan to take up. Thanks again for the input...
Old Mon Mar 20, 2000, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Jeff, great insight as to the fact that the NBA has different mechanics and rules than what we are used to. They are the best in the world. I have spoken to some NBA refs, and it seems that the calling official usually goes table side when calling a foul. This was done so that they could deal with the coaches. The thing that I notice is that sometimes they may deviate from the mechanics or positioning to deal with a situation. I think too many officials get so worried about were they should be standing that they forget to officiate the game. Is is wrong for an official to go table side in an NF or NCAA game to address a situation with a coach? I don't think so. It is all part of game management. Sometimes the coach has an honest question that needs to be answered. I think that sometimes it is OK to deviate from the system...as long as we know where we are deviating from.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I think we should, at the very least, make mention of the incident that occurred in the NCAA tournament that clearly provides insight into the NCAA and Federation three man mechanics and the difference in the NBA. It is not an issue of convenience to keep the calling official table-side, that is a matter of style the NBA has chosen. In the NBA the decorum and professionalism lends itself to a much more relaxed environment.

The actions of the Iowa State coach, his name is less memorable than his behavior, illustrates CLEARLY why we do not maintain our reporting position. With the constant barrage of verbal "communication" we receive from coaches and fans, it is imperative that we "put a little distance" between ourselves and any team personnel who may be in disagreement over a call. The very essence of this game is that we maintain ourselves in a professional and objective light, not influenced by the attitudes or inequities of teams and their personnel. I think the mechanics are most appropriate for High School and College level games as we cannot control the environment at every turn nor do we have the level of decorum as with the NBA.

I think Billy Packer got it right when he said that the assistant coaches should have gotten ahold of the Iowa State head coach and pulled him away from the area.

Incidentally, a big congratulations should go out to that crew as they took care of a bad situation by backing away from the table-side and forcing the coach to alienate himself from the cover of his bench.

A big lesson leraned by aspiring officials and coaches.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

NBA has no mechanics.
Boring, boring, boring.
I can't believe anyone wastes their time with this crap.