Thread: NBA Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 15, 2000, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Matt, you should really get all of the information about NBA Mechanics and Rules before condemning its Staff. After all they are the Best Officials in the World. They're more like the "Harvard School of Basketball Officiating."
Also being a beginning official, you do not have any idea what it takes to work at such a high level. The experiences that one gains along the way prepares him/her for future challenges. I often talk with youger officials, such as youself, about these types of challenges/issues. I get challenged, but it comes with the territory. I serve as Rules Interpreter for my local HS Association, and I also work as a Mentor to younger officials.
I just hope that there is someone in your area that could be of some assistance to you. They can give you some advice/insight about the road you will travel.
What you believe that you found is the answer to the NBA rotation is not totally accurate; although somewhat close.
The CC and Umpire do not always start ballside. Until you have a NBA Manual, how can you state that they almost never use proper mechanics? As for reporting fouls, once again the Manual states the proper mechanics in which it should be done, and walking is only a small part of it.
What you said about the Table Personnel is true; they are very experienced people. But that alone doesn't make them any kind of authority on who committed the foul/violation before the Official reports it to the PA Announcer.
Just because it's the NBA, that doesn't mean anything goes.
Don't you realize, that when you are officiating a game there are many many people saying things like that about you??? Understand this: Those people are misinformed and uneducated about officiating at any level... just think about that for a moment.
I hope that as you continue, if you continue, to officiate you will understand and appreciate what the NBA Officials do for "OFFICIALS" as a whole!
Remember, when you're out there on that court you only have one or two friends------YOUR PARTNER(S)!
quote:
Originally posted by Matt S. on 03-06-2000 07:34 PM
Actually, I noticed similar issues with NBA mechanics, but found the answer as to their rotation this year. See, each crew consists of a crew chief, referee, and umpire. These positions are assigned to each game, usually based on senority. The rotation is based on where these guys are on the court, b/c the c.c. and umpire always start ball side on inbounds plays, if they are following proper mechanics, which, as we all know, never happens.
As for foul reporting, they are just lazy, and usually everyone at the table knows who fouled since they are just as experienced as the floor officials. Remember, this is the NBA, where anything goes!