The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post

And even though we also give a signal to indicate the type of foul, no one except maybe the coach pays attention to that. Fans see the official with a fist up and blow the whistle, disagree with the call when they may have no idea what specifically the official called the infraction for.
One of my favorite things about the pro-am game is the ability to illustrate what foul occurred more accurately than the limited options in the back of the book. Saves a lot of time with coaches and players explaining what happened.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
One of my favorite things about the pro-am game is the ability to illustrate what foul occurred more accurately than the limited options in the back of the book. Saves a lot of time with coaches and players explaining what happened.
I love that too. It's probably why I'm not 100% by the book when it comes to signaling haha
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 06:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
Pro-am is basically rec league basketball. We usually do a few other things differently also in rec leagues than in the more structured games.

Slavish adherence to mechanics in rec league games is usually based on the personal philosophy of the person assigning them in my experience. And imo, reporting by the book ain't a biggie in rec basketball.

JMO.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 06:13am.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 03:16pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
A stopped clock is right twice a day.

I have no problem if his takes seemed fair. But they have a vindictive nature to them. He makes it sound like the officials do nothing right. Then he makes it seem as if calls were made because people complained or *****ed about previous calls. Or he claims they are just incompetent. Now I do not know a lot of his background from what he has done as an official, but I do not recall that he was a NBA Finals mainstay. It sounds mostly like sour grapes because he is no longer in the league and he was caught.

Peace
I don't know why but I just spent 30 minutes reviewing each one of the games that were critiqued by Donaghy. Thats 30 minutes I used to confirm this comment for myself and I couldn't agree more.

He is wrong about the calls far more often then his comments are credible. My observation by reading the comment, watching the segment in the video and then re-reading the comments.

No credibility to this guy at all.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 09:49am
In Time Out

The NBA is just a money grab

The only way I can tell a foul from a non foul is watching Kobe Bryant.

Fouls always happen when he is shooting and non fouls occur when he is called for one on defense. He especially got away with one when he pushed Kendrick Perkins in the back on the play is which Perkins was injured.

At least the good thing that will happen since the Lakers won is the fans will set most Los Angeles on fire.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 10:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

Fouls always happen when he is shooting and non fouls occur when he is called for one on defense. He especially got away with one when he pushed Kendrick Perkins in the back on the play is which Perkins was injured.

At least the good thing that will happen since the Lakers won is the fans will set most Los Angeles on fire.
Actually it was Andrew Bynum who came over Perkins back, and he was called for a foul. Kobe was on the side of Perkins swiping at the ball.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Really? The play in question, Kobe Bryant was on the side of Perkins and went for the strip. Andrew Bynum attempted to get the rebound from behind but displaced Perkins, and was properly called for a loose ball foul. It was just unfortunate that Perkins got injured.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2010, 09:55am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually it was Andrew Bynum who came over Perkins back, and he was called for a foul. Kobe was on the side of Perkins swiping at the ball.
This is true, but Kobe gave Perkins a push with his left hand as Perkins was going up. He didn't swipe at the ball until Perkins feet hit the floor. They showed that on the first replay. After that they only showed Bynum going over Perkins back. You should also notice that Bryant immediately turned and started his usual "whine" when the whistle blew. I assume he thought the foul was on him.

IMO, they should give Bryant a whistle or let him call his own fouls like they do in pickup games. I'm surprised he doesn't get T'd up more.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2010, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is true, but Kobe gave Perkins a push with his left hand as Perkins was going up. He didn't swipe at the ball until Perkins feet hit the floor. They showed that on the first replay. After that they only showed Bynum going over Perkins back. You should also notice that Bryant immediately turned and started his usual "whine" when the whistle blew. I assume he thought the foul was on him.

IMO, they should give Bryant a whistle or let him call his own fouls like they do in pickup games. I'm surprised he doesn't get T'd up more.
YouTube - Kendrick Perkins Right Knee Injury - Game 6 - 2010 NBA Finals

I do not see any contact between Kobe and Perkins that would could be considered a foul before the steal attempt. If there's a push there, then I don't see it.

As far as technical fouls on Kobe Bryant goes, he had the fourth most during the regular season with 14 technical fouls in 73 games played (as opposed to 82) which as go for fourth in the league.

Last edited by APG; Sat Jun 19, 2010 at 07:08pm. Reason: spelling