The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 02:21pm
In Memoriam

Tim Donaghy critiques the officiating in the NBA finals

Take a look at the top of the page. If you click on "Tim Donaghy", you'll get his critique of how the first four games of the NBA Finals were officiated.

Deadspin, Sports News without Access, Favor, or Discretion

All I can say is un-freaking-believable.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot stand to listen to this man. I guess he thinks his comments are hurting the league. Well they are, but that is the only reason he is doing this is to get back and those that did not support him.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 04:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm getting infuriated about how much credibility various radio personalities are giving him.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 08:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm getting infuriated about how much credibility various radio personalities are giving him.
The media just does not like people who know the rules. *cough* *cough* *Bilas* *cough* Cough*
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 08:50pm
Back from the DL

Deadspin got our attention. That's all that matters.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

I hate to say this, but some of his observations were bang on.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 08:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
I hate to say this, but some of his observations were bang on.
A stopped clock is right twice a day.

I have no problem if his takes seemed fair. But they have a vindictive nature to them. He makes it sound like the officials do nothing right. Then he makes it seem as if calls were made because people complained or *****ed about previous calls. Or he claims they are just incompetent. Now I do not know a lot of his background from what he has done as an official, but I do not recall that he was a NBA Finals mainstay. It sounds mostly like sour grapes because he is no longer in the league and he was caught.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 08:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
A stopped clock is right twice a day.

I have no problem if his takes seemed fair. But they have a vindictive nature to them.

It sounds mostly like sour grapes because he is no longer in the league and he was caught
Absolutely agree!

Quote:
He makes it sound like the officials do nothing right.
This is what I think everytime I get evaluated!
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's Donaghy holding Kobe back from making a layup so the Lakers don't beat the spread.

Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

tim donaghy's comments of this game are pretty accurate. I have no problem with him breaking down the film and evaluating whether calls are correct or not.

the problem I do have is his "slanted" opinion that the reason these calls are incorrect is to extend the series and, therefore, make more money for the NBA.

tim, guys miss calls all the time - they're human (ask MLB Umpire Jim Joyce)! they're not doing it for nefarious reasons. they simply got it wrong. the reason the Celtics shot 30+ FT's in games vs the Magic was they got the ball into the lane three times as much as the Magic did. the team that gets the ball into the paint more often during a game usually wins (they get easier shots and they get to the FT line).

donaghy's right - these calls were missed/bad. donaghy's wrong as to the reason why......
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 01:35pm
In Memoriam

The problem is that none of us really knows what a "missed call" in the NBA system actually is. Every call the officials make is graded. But if the grading system is completely subjective on the part of the grader, how do we know what the NBA considers as a "missed call"?

A call might be completely wrong in our eyes, but it may still be perfectly OK in the eyes of the NBA evaluators.

And as jeffpea said, officials are human and will miss calls.

You can't forget that Donaghy also graded out as being one of their staff's more accurate play callers, even in the period that he was supplying info to gamblers. The info that he was supplied was on on officials' calling tendencies, likes/dislikes and injuries he might have heard about. I don't think that he was ever accused of trying to blow calls to affect the outcome of a game. That's the scary part.

As I've said numerous times before, imo the NBA micro-manages their officals as to how the league wants their games called. And if the officials are getting good grades from the league in a game while following the league's direction, you can't blame the officials for supposedly crappy officiating in the same game. The guys are just providing what their bosses want. And they really don't have a choice. Their jobs depend on their evaluations.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
donaghy's right - these calls were missed/bad. donaghy's wrong as to the reason why......

I agree that he might have been right some of the time, but his opinion is very subjective. He might know more about NBA rules, but even his justifications were based on his opinion. And in some case he did not even talk about the call, gave some reason that was nefarious to why a call was even made.

I would like his take if he gave reasons for the calls being missed rather than say the officials were setting it up to screw or cheat a team.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
As I've said numerous times before, imo the NBA micro-manages their officals as to how the league wants their games called. And if the officials are getting good grades from the league in a game while following the league's direction, you can't blame the officials for supposedly crappy officiating in the same game. The guys are just providing what their bosses want. And they really don't have a choice. Their jobs depend on their evaluations.
I completely agree, but that is the case at most pro leagues. The NBA is no different; it is just harder IMO to be an NBA (basketball) official because we have so many more decisions to make. A baseball umpire in many cases is not ruling on anything during a play. And everyone gets upset over things that happen in basketball games they do not get upset over in things like an NFL game. But all those leagues have standards that those officials must adhere to. I belong to an association that has three current NFL officials and they talk a lot about what they are expected to do as well. But an NFL official might only have 160 to 200 plays total to rule on. A basketball official does that in a quarter. And even in Tim's critique were a lot of plays that other sports might not even have to be evaluated on.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 02:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I would like his take if he gave reasons for the calls being missed rather than say the officials were setting it up to screw or cheat a team.

Peace
Methinks he is projecting.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NBA is no different; it is just harder IMO to be an NBA (basketball) official because we have so many more decisions to make. A baseball umpire in many cases is not ruling on anything during a play. And everyone gets upset over things that happen in basketball games they do not get upset over in things like an NFL game.
I agree with this portion 100%. I also think what helps the perception of football officials is their ability to use a mic. Football has many rules and then many exceptions to the rules. The average fan has an idea what pass interference is. The also usually know that is doesn't apply to uncatchable passes or if the defender is playing the ball (looking back for the ball, etc.). They know this because the referee will announce to everyone why a foul wasn't called. Also, everyone sees the signal and hears the announcement of said call from the official.

Contrast that with a bunch of misconceptions heard all the time at any basketball game...

"That's over the back!"
"He's reaching!"
"How was that a charge?! He was moving!"

etc.

And even though we also give a signal to indicate the type of foul, no one except maybe the coach pays attention to that. Fans see the official with a fist up and blow the whistle, disagree with the call when they may have no idea what specifically the official called the infraction for.