The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Well Jerry, I wish they would go back to the C administering the 1st FT. I've had 2 games where the L signaled the wrong #. We did catch it in both cases. 1 time i was the lead, my attention was to a player i need to say something to him. It was a 1&1 and i said 1 shot. Yes its true it didn't matter in this case. I have heard around the country of other mishaps. I was told the reason was to speed up the game. With the current mechanics, I don't see the saving of time.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone heard of possible rule changes by NFHS for next season? I would like to know if the NF rules committee has a website or email for input from officials. It is a wonder that we officials, who have to deal with the rules, have little or no input on rule changes or mechanics changes. I want to see the free throw mechanic changed so that the calling official does not come into the lane at all. I ran a three person crew all year and adapted this mechanic change after the first week of basketball. Went very well.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics changes are (generally) made only every two years -- to correspond with the issueance af the official's manual.

The Fed is supposed to take input from officials in making rules changes. As I understand it, each state gets a survey of proposed rules changes for discussion. They are supposed to send this to "random" officials in the state and use it as input in the state vote on the issue.
Old Sat Mar 11, 2000, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Lightbulb

I believe that the prescribed application is the trail official is supposed to enter the key and give the signal then back out, the lead is then to also signal and administer the shots.

I will admit that if i sence players getting out of line i will step deep into the key and make sure they know exactly how many shots and to knock off the grabbing and pushing, or i will say to my partner to keep his eye on #55 and i will watch #00. When they hear you say that they usually respond on the very next play.

------------------
Don
Old Sat Mar 11, 2000, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yes the trail in two man mechanics. The C in three man mechanics. the problem is in my area, the C, at best comes to the elbow the signal.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2000, 02:52am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

If you are trying to guess what rules will change next year, you can probably bet we will change the timeouts to conform with the college protocol. This seems to be the procedure over the past few years.

BTW - I'll bet an autographed dartboard of Bobby Knight that "rough play" will be a point of emphasis for what seems like the millionth straight year.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

If your partner(L) looks at you before admin
the ball for a free throw..there wouldnt me a messup..but yes the trail is supposed to enter to signal how many throws there are
but if u go that far u might as well admin it in the first place,,,
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I've found that stepping about even with the shooter, making eye contact with my partner and signaling with my fingers how many shots is a good way to communicate and make sure we don't screw up the situation. After having such a screw up once early in this season, when the Trail didn't tell me how many shots and I assumed incorrectly as the Lead, I became convinced that at least a quick communication with each other every time is very important. Other veterans have said the same thing. It takes less time and is less visible to everyone than stepping into the lane itself and telling the PLAYERS, yet it helps avoid a mishap.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2000, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

In regards to NF rules changes for the 2000-01 season, I have heard from very relaible sources that 30 second timeouts will be implemented. We all know that there is no such thing as a 20 second timeout. On another note, I wish that the NF would make the coaching box the same as it is in college. Some states such as Ohio has the CB rule as the length of the bench. Why not use the 28 foot line and go down to the baseline. Also, I have seen a lot of high school official switch to the pleated sans-a-belt slacks and wear black and white shoes. I don't understand why some people are so picky about what an official wears. Whatever the official wears, they will certainly look professional and still do the job right.

[This message has been edited by Willie Porter (edited March 15, 2000).]
Old Wed Mar 15, 2000, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I like the 30 sec T.O. It gives the coach a lot more time to collectively teach then the current 20 sec T.O. While were at it, should the full be increased to 1:15? This would almost be like Christmas vacation. No matter how long you make it, it isn't long enough. As far as the box goes. I hate the coaches going to the baseline to coach. Let's keep it the way it is or maybe extend it to 12 feet but no more.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2000, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

In response to the callign official enterign the lane, that was removed mid season this year. I am a ref in North Carolina and we received in our booking slips a memo from Dick Knox(Chairman of the Federation rules committie) saying that only the lead official will announce free throws. Consequently, i must assume that this is going to be a national change.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2000, 01:35am
Administrator

The NFHS Rules Committee will meet in early
April 2000, and the new rule changes will
hopefully be posted on the NFHS website by
the end of April. This has been the procedure for many years now.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Wink

From what I was taught the official who has the call indicates 2 fingers representing 2 shots in his mechanics directing it towards his/her partner prior to reporting it to the table if it's an "in the act of" shooting situation. Other then that it normally is either a 1 and 1 if in the bonus, throw in situation in which the calling official should have indicated to his/her partner prior to reporting it to the table or double bonus situation that should be indicated by the scoreboard promptly upon receiving the report from calling official. Keep in mind both/all officials should be on top of team foul situation that's indicated on the scoreboard. And again it's better to be one who can accept making a mistake and having it corrected timely than one who is stuck on stupid. New officials are tolerable but veterans who who don't humble themselves ought to be harrassed to an extent that will have them make adjustments. As for time, well who should be concerned about that other then the coaches and their perspective team members. I say don't start something you are not willing to finish and don't be a clock watcher either, always in a rush to get game over with. If one does not enjoy the sport then they shouldn't officiate it.
quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson:
Well Jerry, I wish they would go back to the C administering the 1st FT. I've had 2 games where the L signaled the wrong #. We did catch it in both cases. 1 time i was the lead, my attention was to a player i need to say something to him. It was a 1&1 and i said 1 shot. Yes its true it didn't matter in this case. I have heard around the country of other mishaps. I was told the reason was to speed up the game. With the current mechanics, I don't see the saving of time.

Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 01:03am
Administrator

Much has been written about the NFHS change
in free throw administration for 1999-2001.

The way the we officials administer free
throws have not changed except that the T or
C will not handle the ball on any free
throws. The change means that we are not to
do anything different from the way we admini-
stered free throws.

The T or C always entered the free throw lane
before the first free throw and a announced
the number free throws. The T or C then
took the ball from the L and administered the
first free throw and then backs out of the
free throw lane.

The only change is the T or C will now longer
handle the ball. I found too many officials
and administrators never really read the NFHS
Mechanics Manual. These same people are the
same ones that are making the unilateral
decisions that we see being made in North
Carolina as told in NCref23's posting of Mar.
22, 2000.