The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

well, at least I haven't heard "hey ref, you're officiating like "goats" out there!
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Ok, may be a stupid question, but here goes

kid driving for layup, ball hits off backboard (layup style) still going up is NOT above the rim and is NOT in the imaginary cylinder, defender does his best LeBron "get-that-weak-mess-out-of-here" block of the ball after it hits the backboard (but again, with above parameters mentioned). NBA has it as goaltending. That we know..
Ah...no, we don't. What you describe is NOT goaltending in the NBA.

From the NBA Rule Book.

A player shall not:
During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.

This is the same as the NCAA rule.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Anybody know when this rule was changed and why? I realize the backboard now does not make it goaltending but when I played(dating myself) it was goaltending and I am wondering when the change occurred and what the rational behind it was. Of course I did not read a rule book as a player so I could be wrong but I do not think so. Seems like it would be a lot easier for officials with the old 'once it touches the backboard' goatending vs the more decision making rule of today.

As a fan I think I like the old rule better. More of an advantage toward the smaller player. Once the player gets the ball on the backboard he knew it was safe from being blocked.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

All this goat talk got me wondering: Why haven't we heard from Billy on this one yet?
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Anybody know when this rule was changed and why? I realize the backboard now does not make it goaltending but when I played(dating myself) it was goaltending and I am wondering when the change occurred and what the rational behind it was. Of course I did not read a rule book as a player so I could be wrong but I do not think so. Seems like it would be a lot easier for officials with the old 'once it touches the backboard' goatending vs the more decision making rule of today.

As a fan I think I like the old rule better. More of an advantage toward the smaller player. Once the player gets the ball on the backboard he knew it was safe from being blocked.
Afaik, the rule has never changed in NFHS rules. It's been the same for the last 50 years anyway. Goaltending has always been defined as touching a shot that has a chance to go in on the way down. The FED issued periodic interpretations that noted that touching a shot after it hit the glass had to meet the exact same criteria defined in the GT rule. We had to judge whether the touch after the ball hit the glass was on the way up or on the way down, and then rule accordingly. Iow, it's always been a straight judgment call.

This is one rule that I can see the FED changing to the NCAA rule sometime in the future...to make our job easier and take out some of the judgment factor.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 09:41am.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The FED issued periodic interpretations that noted that touching a shot after it hit the glass had to meet the exact same criteria defined in the GT rule.
This is the bit that's different from NCAA (and NBE). The glass is irrelevant to the NFHS rule.

In the other codes, once the ball touches the glass above the rim, you can have GT even when the ball is still going up.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This is the bit that's different from NCAA (and NBE). The glass is irrelevant to the NFHS rule.
And iirc the NCAA only changed their GT rule a couple of years ago to match the NBE. Before that it was the same as the the NFHS.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

From the NBA Rule Book.

A player shall not:
During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.

my bad, good point about being ABOVE ring level...
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so I could be wrong
I vote for this explanation.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Goat-tending needs two T's, and should be hyphenated.
Correct.

The OP meant Goa-tending, just (about) as he spelt.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 11:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The OP meant Goa-tending.....
Maybe he meant he wanted to know about going to Goa and tending bar?

Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What old rule? It hasn't changed. Contacting the ball after it's hit the backboard has never been GT unless it was above the rim and on it's way down.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 12:05pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Contacting the ball after it's hit the backboard has never been GT unless it was above the rim and on it's way down.
I believe the NCAA changed the rule recently. Now, if it hits the backboard, it doesn't matter whether it's going up or down. If it's above the rim, it's goaltending.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 12:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I believe the NCAA changed the rule recently. Now, if it hits the backboard, it doesn't matter whether it's going up or down. If it's above the rim, it's goaltending.
Close.
You might want to read his earlier post:

Quote:

From the NBA Rule Book.

A player shall not:

Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Goat-tending needs two T's, and should be hyphenated.
Except when it is a proper name. In that case it is just fine.

Just ask Jonathan Goatending of Bridger, Montana.