The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   It never ends (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58183-never-ends.html)

Mark Padgett Sat May 22, 2010 12:07pm

It never ends

Just got an email from an assignor this morning to work a girls HS program during June. It's one night a week and three games on that night. What's a little strange is that there are two "divisions" - V and Frosh/JV, and the V games are 16 minute stop time halves and the Frosh/JV games are 20 minute running halves. I have no idea why they have different rules for that. The good news is that each team gets only two 60s and one 30 for the game.

Also, they're not keeping individual foul counts - but the game rules state "this league is not designed to turn into a hack-fest". I guess that means if someone is fouling excessively and without restraint, we toss her.

The players are almost all exclusively from one conference (usually regarded as the top girls league in the state) and the games are at four different high schools, but I get to work only at the one that's closest to my house (about a 20-25 minute drive). With the price of gas these days, that's a big deal.

BillyMac Sat May 22, 2010 01:47pm

I Don't Get It ??? I Give Up ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 678030)
Just got an email from an assignor this morning to work a girls HS program during June. It's one night a week and three games on that night.

Why?

Money? Exercise? Stay on top of your game? See some buddies that you don't normally see in the off season? Give the kids an official who cares? Get away from the wife, kids, and dog? Get out of doing household chores? Masochist?

We had an official many years ago who would work games anywhere, anytime, any level, any distance, any fee, etc. We would kid him and say that he would work a game in the bathtub, if they had one. You remind me of that guy.

Your ratio of working any other level games to high school varsity games must be about a hundred to one? Don't you ever get tired, either physically, or mentally?

Judtech Sat May 22, 2010 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 678043)
Why?

Money? Exercise? Stay on top of your game? See some buddies that you don't normally see in the off season? Give the kids an official who cares? Get away from the wife, kids, and dog? Get out of doing household chores? Masochist?

We had an official many years ago who would work games anywhere, anytime, any level, any distance, any fee, etc. We would kid him and say that he would work a game in the bathtub, if they had one. You remind me of that guy.

Your ratio of working any other level games to high school varsity games must be about a hundred to one? Don't you ever get tired, either physically, or mentally?

Judging by the number of posts, it certainly doesn't make him too tired to type!!:eek:

BillyMac Sat May 22, 2010 02:25pm

Eat? Sleep? Shower?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 678048)
Judging by the number of posts, it certainly doesn't make him too tired to type!!

You would think that Mark Padgett spends 100% of his time working games at all levels, posting on the Forum, and watchng Law and Order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 665558)
No games for four days in a row! Guess I'll just catch up on all the Law & Order reruns I recorded.

Well, at least now, he'll have some more free time.

Case closed: 'Law & Order' is canceled by NBC | rgj.com | The Reno Gazette-Journal

just another ref Sat May 22, 2010 03:02pm

Billy has more posts per day than Padgett, and watches mainly educational television, with some exceptions.

http://droosan.wikispaces.com/file/v...gs_Bunny_5.gif

Nevadaref Sat May 22, 2010 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 678054)
Billy has more posts per day than Padgett, and watches mainly educational television, with some exceptions.

And apparently reads the Reno paper too.

Adam Sun May 23, 2010 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 678081)
And apparently reads the Reno paper too.

He was just trying to relate to you, Nevada.

Welpe Sun May 23, 2010 02:19pm

I wouldn't mind working some Spring / Summer ball but as a newbie, I'm still a nobody.

grunewar Sun May 23, 2010 02:32pm

Fixed it for ya!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 678157)
I wouldn't mind working some Spring / Summer ball but as a newbie, I don't know the right people yet.

Stay out there and continue to do a good job.....it'll happen.

Continued good luck.

Welpe Sun May 23, 2010 09:14pm

Absolutely. I know how the game goes, that's just the way it is. I'm just going to keep doing my thing and work on getting better.