The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 10:39am
I got a Basketball Jones!

"Spirit of the Rules"

I have been having an ongoing rules discussion with a very seasoned official who keeps referring to the "Spirit of the Rules" as justification for what I consider bogus rules interps.

Is this an NFHS publication?
Is it only available to highly experienced officials?
Where can I get my copy?

Please help me since I have been told that without the knowledge embodied in this great work that I will never advance beyond just being a "Rule Book Ref".
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 10:41am
Back from the DL

I believe it's written by the same author as "Proper Application of the Rules."
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 10:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I have been having an ongoing rules discussion with a very seasoned official who keeps referring to the "Spirit of the Rules" as justification for what I consider bogus rules interps.

Where can I get my copy?

Please help me since I have been told that without the knowledge embodied in this great work that I will never advance beyond just being a "Rule Book Ref".
LOL, he's probably referring to the "intent and purpose of the rules," but I would ask him where he found it.

Curiously, what sorts of rules interps is he justifying this way?
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 11:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Snaqs - I'm privy to this ongoing conversation. Ok, coach let'er go......
I'm giddy with anticipation. Can't wait to get back from my meeting and catch up.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Where can I get my copy?

To answer your questions...

1) It's not an official NFHS publication, but this philosophy is noted in virtually every NFHS Officials Manual published.

2) Not only are these publications available to highly experienced officials, they are also available to woefully inexperienced coaches.

3) You can obtain a copy directly from the NFHS or your state association. Personally, I would suggest you consult your Athletic Director, so as to alert him to your ignorance of such a philosophy.

From the 2009 - 2011 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual -- Page 7
1.1.4 Rules Knowledge: Good officiating is partially dependent on a thorough
knowledge of the basketball rules and of all related materials that are published
each year. Most of the decisions on the floor must be made so quickly that they
come by reflex. The only way the proper reflexes can be perfected is through continual
study of all possible situations so that fundamentals and correct interpretations
are always clearly in mind. For such study, the following aids are helpful:
rules book, case book, simplified and illustrated rules, handbook, preseason
guides, Part I and II examinations, officiating mechanics exam, interpretations,
PowerPoints, video, discussion at state-sponsored and local meetings, and periodic
releases by the state association office.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 01:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Where can I get my copy?

Same old, same old....

A lot of guys use that when they're trying to justify screwing up or not knowing a rule. All they're basically tryingt to tell you is that the rulebook is wrong and they're right. And trying to mask their lack of rules knowledge by calling you a "rule book ref" (as if that's bad) is an old trick of their's too. It's a waste of time arguing with clowns like this.

The NFHS has issued the exact same statement for umpty-ump years at the front of the rule book, on p. 10 just before Rule 1. The FED talks about knowing and applying the "intent and purpose of a rule". But, the point that your friend is missing is that they also always sum up that section with "It is the policy of the NFHS basketball Rules Committee that there be no deviation from a rule unless experimental approval has been granted by the NFHS liason to the rules committee." Point that out to him and see what he has to say.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 02:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post

1) It's not an official NFHS publication, but this philosophy is noted in virtually every NFHS Officials Manual published.

2) Not only are these publications available to highly experienced officials, they are also available to woefully inexperienced coaches.

3) You can obtain a copy directly from the NFHS or your state association. Personally, I would suggest you consult your Athletic Director, so as to alert him to your ignorance of such a philosophy.

[[/I]
Wow...nice response.

You get kicked out of the house or something?
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

[/COLOR][/I]
Read the OP again. His point was....
forget it.
Bottom line, he's actually an official who is well aware of the purpose and intent of the rules. His point was entirely facetious.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 02:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Whenever I hear a guy talk about how he used "the spirit of the rules" to explain a lack of rules adherence, it's usually from a guy who won't call a foul late in a close game unless reconstructive surgery is involved.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

From the 2009 - 2011 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual -- Page 7
1.1.4 Rules Knowledge: Good officiating is partially dependent on a thorough
knowledge of the basketball rules and of all related materials that are published
each year. Most of the decisions on the floor must be made so quickly that they
come by reflex. The only way the proper reflexes can be perfected is through continual
study of all possible situations so that fundamentals and correct interpretations
are always clearly in mind. For such study, the following aids are helpful:
rules book, case book, simplified and illustrated rules, handbook, preseason
guides, Part I and II examinations, officiating mechanics exam, interpretations,
PowerPoints, video, discussion at state-sponsored and local meetings, and periodic
releases by the state association office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Read the OP again. His point was....
forget it.
Bottom line, he's actually an official who is well aware of the purpose and intent of the rules. His point was entirely facetious.
An official who has 3 sons who also officiate.

And he is also an official who is properly interpreting the rule in question; it's his veteran colleague who using this "spirit of the rule" justification to set aside the rule.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Spirit of the Rule is waayyy to subjective. I mean how do you define that in a gym where one team chants "We got spirit yes we do We got spirit how 'bout you"? Aren't they inferring that only ONE side has spirit or that one side has more spirit than the other? Very subjective!
If you need to CYA, it is better to be able to point to a section in the rule book then to say I was officiating by "the spirit of the rule". Or you can just say you blew the call which is also affective in small doses!!
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 05:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The intent and purpose of the rules

THE INTENT AND PURPOSE OF THE RULES
The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a
balance of play; to provide equal opportunity between the offense and the
defense; to provide equal opportunity between the small player and tall player; to
provide reasonable safety and protection; to create an atmosphere of sporting
behavior and fair play; and to emphasize cleverness and skill without unduly
limiting freedom of action of individual or team play on either offense or defense.
Therefore, it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may
be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player or a team should not be
permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be
permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not
intended by a rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The tower philosophy

THE TOWER PHILOSOPHY

The Tower Philosophy" is not a written document but a guiding principle used by editors of the Rules Committee. The Tower Philosophy came from Oswald Tower, a past Editor of the Rules Committee and was espoused by his predecessor, John Bunn.

Rules Philosophy and Principles

"As a result of observing officiating in various parts of the U.S.A. and internationally and responding to the many inquiries that have come to the attention of the Editor for a response as to the official ruling of a certain situation that occurred, there are some principles that evidence themselves as being basic to the answer of the majority of inquiries. They reflect a need for thought towards a realistic approach to officiating rather than a literal approach. A well-officiated ball game is one in which the official has called the game in accordance with the spirit and intent of the basketball rules as established by the Rules Committee. In effect, it is a realistic approach rather than a literalistic approach.

The basic and fundamental responsibility of a basketball official, while officiating a contest, is to have the game proceed and played with as little interference as possible on the part of the official. This is not to say that he is not to blow the whistle when a rule has been violated; but it is one of not seeking ways to call infractions not intended by the spirit and intent of the rule.

Some thirty years ago, John Bunn phrased for the Basketball Rules Committee what was called the 'Oswald Tower Philosophy', and it best represents what the Rules Committee believes and supports regarding the officiating of a contest. The philosophy is expressed as followed:

'It is the purpose of the rules to penalize a player who by reason of an illegal act has placed his opponent at a disadvantage.'

It represents a realistic approach to guide the judgment of officials in making decisions on all situations where the effect upon the play is the key factor in determining whether or not a rule violation has occurred.

As an illustration, Rule 10 - Section 10 of the rules states, 'A player shall not contact an opponent with his hand unless such contact is only with the opponent's hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball...' If an official did not take a realistic approach to this particular rule and officiated the rule literally, the basketball game would be one of continual fouls and whistle blowing. A good official realizes that contact, not only in the instance cited previously, but also in other aspects of the game must be looked at in terms of the effect it creates on the opponent. If there is no apparent disadvantage to an opponent then, realistically speaking, no rule violation has occurred. The official must use discretion in applying this rule and all rules.

The "Tower Philosophy" stated in another manner is as follows:

'It is not the intent that the rules shall be interpreted literally, rather they should be applied in relation to the effect which the action of the players has upon their opponents. If they are unfairly affected as a result of a violation of rules, then the transgressor shall be penalized. If there has been no appreciable effect upon the progress of the game, then the game shall not be interrupted. The act should be ignored. It is incidental and not vital. Realistically and practically, no violation has occurred.'

The Rules Committee has, over the years, operated under this fundamental philosophy in establishing its interpretations so far as officiating is concerned. Obviously, this philosophy assumes that the official has a thorough understanding of the game. Officials are hired to officiate basketball games because the employer believes that he has basketball intelligence and an understanding of the mood and climate that prevails during a basketball game. The excellent official exercises mature judgment in each play situation in light of the basic philosophy stated. Inquiries indicate that some coaches and officials are too concerned over trivial or unimportant details about play situations during the game. Much time and thought is wasted in digging up hyper-technicalities, which are of little or no significance. In the Editor's travels, he finds that, unfortunately in some Rules Clinics and officials' meetings and interpretation sessions there are those who would sidetrack the 'bread and butter' discussions too often and get involved with emotional discussions over situations that might happen once in a lifetime. In many instances, these very same officials are looking for a mechanical device and many times it is these very officials who are the ultra-literal minded, strict constructionists who have no faith in their own evaluation or judgment. This minority is those who are categorized as the excessive whistle blowers who are not enhancing our game: in fact, they hurt the game. They are the very ones who want a spelled-out and detailed rule for every tiny detail to replace judgment. The Basketball Rules Committee is looking for the official with a realistic and humanistic approach in officiating the game of basketball. Did he violate the spirit and intended purpose of the rule?"
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu May 20, 2010, 06:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is not to say that he is not to blow the whistle.....
.....Did he violate the spirit and intended purpose of the rule?"
So the Tower Philosophy does not apply to female officials or female players?
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 07:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Was A Different World Back Then ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
So the Tower Philosophy does not apply to female officials or female players?
Nor does it apply to Irish officials.