Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Already had that covered.

However, when I at the gym in between games, striped shirt comes off and is replaced with the camp's T-shirt. And the sneakers come off and are replaced with the flip-flops.
Ahh...thats better. I do the same.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's one of those "Rome" things....that's why it's best to bring white socks just in case.
I'm planning to attend a JC camp this summer....will take your advice.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Well, that was interesting

So the camp got over Sunday night and here are some random observations:
  • Homework - do this and get as much feedback as you can from as many people as you can about the different camps, how they operate, and their effectiveness in helping to improve your game. I was limited in choices due to vacation restrictions at work in June/July so this was the only state camp that worked for me. As it turns out it was mainly geared toward college officials so you have to go along with some stuff that is not relevant.
  • Equipment - thanks to the feedback received on this forum I had plenty of everything needed. As it turns out we needed non-patch uniforms, shorts, and white socks which I had so that part was fine.
  • Conditioning - it was dang hot the first two days and the gyms were not air conditioned. Standing there dripping sweat while trying to process clinician feedback was difficult. While I thought I was in good shape from lifting/running prior to camp I'll need to incorporate more interval training next time.
  • Rules - this should be evident, but this camp was not a rules camp. You are expected to know the rules ahead of time. Not sure why I thought this would be different, but since this is a self-study area anyway I'm going to continue working on this myself.
In general the camp was worth it, but I will probably look for one next year more geared toward HS. I received good feedback on some areas of development, but the best thing came from one of the clinicians who is a current NBA ref. He does rec games during the off-season and during each game/period he'll work on one thing to develop (mechanics, clock awareness, arm position, etc.). Color me stupid but I had never viewed rec games that way (i.e., for development instead of a paycheck). I'm going to look into doing some rec games in preparation for next season now, concentrating on the development areas pointed out during the camp.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for sharing, Rufus. Good stuff. This thread has been very helpful.